Reading Little House

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wendy McClure, BUST magazine columnist and author of I'm Not the New Me, talks about her new book, The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie. Wendy's channeling Laura Ingalls Wilder on Twitter: @HalfPintIngalls

Wendy McClure

Jennifer

Best book series for children ever! I loved them! My daughter loved them! Fortunately for her, her impressions of the book were not tainted by the saccharine t.v. series of the 1970s The Longest Winter is a book every American should read!

Apr. 15 2011 08:14 AM
Jennifer

Apr. 15 2011 08:14 AM
Theresa Bond from New Jersey

I loved all of those books. I love sharing them with my daughters now. And the TV show as well. I love the family values. I love the idea that if you work hard and are honest and a good person, you can have a good life...sometimes I think that is what our society is missing now...those values.

Apr. 14 2011 11:23 PM
DTorres from Nathan Strauss Projects

While growing up in the Wagner Projects,
my address was 2370 First Avenue,
my mother, Gloria Maria Astacio,
introduced me to the Nancy Drew Books
and The Bobbsey Twins.
I loved the books and always picked them
out on my trips to the NY Public Library
on E, 125th Street.
My mother loved Nancy Drew as well.
The characters and the setting were so
removed from my actual life, and I loved
getting lost in their world.

It was one of my favorite things to do.

I really looked forward to watching
Little House on the Prairie, loved
Laura Ingalls and Michael Landon.

Apr. 14 2011 01:41 PM
Linda from NYC

There were also people who could not deal with the stress and isolation of pioneer prairie life. Rolvaag's "Giants in the Earth", about Norweigan immigrant pioneer farmers had a big impact on me.

Apr. 14 2011 12:01 PM
Estelle

I was just telling my hairdresser yesterday that as a straight-haired little girl, all I wanted was "Nellie hair"! (Which was pretty much Shirley Temple hair.)

I know it's off-topic, but I also loved Gail Rock's Addie books ("The House Without a Christmas Tree"). I guess I identified with a brown-haired girl in braids, especially with glasses.

Apr. 14 2011 11:58 AM
Victoria Jordan from Brooklyn, NY

As a bi-racial woman, I feel the same way about the Nancy Drew series. I went back recently to read one and was pretty upset at the references to the jolly, colored cook who worked for them. More upset that I read it without questioning it...

Apr. 14 2011 11:57 AM
Sandra from Astoria

I also loved "Little House" when I was a kid in the '70s (I still remember those scenes of making maple syrup candy in the snow!).

But my real idol was Nancy Drew--she was smart and independent and solved crimes and traveled the world. Definitely a proto-feminist!

Apr. 14 2011 11:57 AM
stephanie from Westchester

I read them when no one was reading them in the 60's and they were amazing. I always read them in bed under the covers, shivering at the cold winters they had to endure and the oranges that they only ate at Xmas. I loved the food they cooked and the descriptions of its delicious aromas. I loved her feuds with her sister, and her adoring relationship with her father! I was born in the 50's!! I also loved the illustrations.

Apr. 14 2011 11:57 AM
Danielle from Manhattan

I loved both the books and tv show as a young girl, primarily because I loved Laura's independence and her ability to grapple with the world as a young girl. Growing up in the confines of suburbia where I could go nowhere unless my mother drove me there, I so craved Laura's ability to run through a field, walk to school, and explore the world with just her own two feet.

Apr. 14 2011 11:56 AM
Kimberly Smith from UWS

As a lifelong fan of the books, I attended the first academic conference / Fan convention for Laura Ingalls Wilder last year in Mankato, MN- Laurapalooza.

I believe another one is scheduled for 2012.

It brought together an amazing group of academics, writers, readers, and even touched on the TV show. LIW has certainly left her mark as a preeminent voice of the American Story.

Apr. 14 2011 11:56 AM