Open Phones: Gas Prices

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Listeners: The average price of gas in the tri-state area is approaching $4 a gallon. How are gas prices affecting your behavior? Call us up or comment here!

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

CL from NYC

BL should be aware of the Jevons paradox, which proposes that increased fuel efficiency alone actually results in increased consumption.

Apr. 13 2011 11:47 AM
Robin from Astoria, NY

Please do follow up on the vegetable oil topic, Brian!

Apr. 13 2011 11:46 AM
TC from Rego Park

I used to drive to work then I carpool with a co-worker 3 years years ago. Now I take bus to work after I move to Queens 1 year ago. And I have my husband comes to pick my up after work whenever he can. This save a bit on gas but I spend double time on the road to work. I think the city needs to improve on public transportation. I also walk to nearby stores as much as I can. This is good exercise. People should do it more.

Apr. 13 2011 11:45 AM
Phil from Brooklyn

Please tell people not to let their insurance expire without surrendering your plates, even if your car is not on the road!!!! You have to pay a HUGE fine based on the number of days your insurance is not in effect. I know because I let it happen to a car that was broken down in a garage. HUGE, EXPENSIVE MISTAKE.

Apr. 13 2011 11:44 AM
Ken from Soho

When I moved into Manhattan I sold my car, so I have no more need for gasoline.

Apr. 13 2011 11:42 AM
Steve G from Bridgewater NJ

New Jersey hasn't seen $4.00/gal yet, but the last time it went that high I stopped taking aimless drives in the country... something I enjoyed greatly and did once a week. The "cruise" is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.

Apr. 13 2011 11:41 AM
Charlie Roberts from Highlands, NJ

When I have to run errands, I combine them in to one trip using MapQuest and/or my GPS to calculate the shortest and most optimized route. Otherwise, I am only driving for work.

Apr. 13 2011 11:40 AM
Mike from Park Slope

We have a fuel efficient car and don't drive much, so even though $4/gallon sounds scary, in reality it's an extra $10 every few weeks, so not a huge deal.

Apr. 13 2011 11:40 AM
James from Brooklyn, NY

I teach math in Brooklyn and live in Queens. I actually did a math problem with my students to calculate the break even point for me between driving and taking the LIRR into Flatbush. Apparently the break point is 3.97. Once my average gas price gets to that point, I will switch to the train...

Apr. 13 2011 11:39 AM
mary ellen from wantagh

1) i stopped going to the gym
2) i've asked my husband to pick up milk on his way home
3) all my trips are done in a staight line now.

Apr. 13 2011 11:38 AM
JT from LI

We needed to replace our 12 year old car and went for a smaller hybrid even though we have 2 kids and could use the extra space of an SUV. You actually get more efficient with your packing so it hasn't been a problem. The savings on gas vs. our older car are great. We would have gone electric if there were more options available.

Apr. 13 2011 11:38 AM

I have to drive! Almost impossible to walk to anything where I live. Also, I have a disability that keeps me from walking long distances--my car makes my life much easier. Although I am watching the amount of driving I do because gas here is $3.96 a gallon.

Apr. 13 2011 11:36 AM
MC from NYC

the automotive industry fought for years not to raise fuel efficiency and instead produced the Hummer - had fuel efficiency not been blocked in the 80's & 90's the US consumer would be a in a better position to deal with the raising gas prices.

Apr. 13 2011 11:36 AM
Walker from NYC

Wow, this is the perfect 2-for-2 suburban special today... mortgages and cars... all of this in NYC, with a vast majority of renters and walkers... this is W "NY" C?

Apr. 13 2011 11:35 AM
Jennifer from Princeton

I started a Facebook page for my friends called Green Errand, to encourage us all to consolidate errands or carpool on errands at least once a week. Last year making simple changes I saved $150 in gas money and this year I hope to double that amount.

Apr. 13 2011 11:35 AM
Nick from Bronx

My car was stolen in January and I received my insurance settlement. Everyone asks what I am buying next and I tell them, nothing. Bus/cab/train for me, staying away from the expensive luxury of driving

Apr. 13 2011 11:35 AM
Tony

Well, the Fed has been printing dollars, so it feeds inflation and petroleum goes up.

Apr. 13 2011 11:33 AM
bernie from bklyn

i would love it if the BL show would either feature or start a movement to establish days when we all refuse to drive or to purchase gas.
the masses in this country need to fight the evil animals on wall st. and their lecherous exploitation of the american people. the best way we can do it is by messing with the supply/demand curve and show these looters that we're willing to do without if need be.
it wouldn't take much either. i'm not saying we should all just stop driving but if we all cut our driving gas prices by a small % and there was unity on this, we could really make an impact.
what do you think brian?

Apr. 13 2011 10:54 AM