Shirley MacLaine Is Over All That

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Academy Award-winning actress Shirley MacLaine tells us which things she is over dealing with in life, in love, at home, and in the larger world, and which things she will never get over, no matter how long she lives. I’m Over All That and Other Confessions is a collection of small observations and big-picture questions, and includes stories of some of the great people she’s known—Alfred Hitchcock, Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Sinatra, and the two Jacks (Lemmon and Nicholson).

Shirley MacLaine
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jocelyn Padilla from Boston, Ma

This was such a fantastic interview. So happy I stumbled upon this. I am loving Shirley with each interview I read/hear and with every film I see of hers. I am so excited to see her show in March 2012. I will def. be asking her questions about the business seeing as I am working my ass off to make it as a professional actress. I love all her many layers. I admire and am constantly inspired by her career but her metaphysical side of her life has changed me loads. She came into my life at a time when I was super low/depressed. Her books are amazing. Now I am on my own spiritual individualized journey and I thank MacLaine for opening that door for me. I am 25 years old and most likely will be the only young person at her show in March and I don't consider myself part of the "rude pack" but I totally agree with her about the young generation. I often feel out of place with people my own age. (def. know I was part of the 20's-60's) And totally understand what MacLaine is saying. There's a lack of respect, integrity, worth ethic, curiosity, drive in the young generation. I'd love to be able to talk to MacLaine one on one...she seems like such a real and very funny woman. There was nothing boring or weird about this interview as other people have stated... She tells it like it is and most people are put off by truth tellers. She's such an inspiration to me. Thanks for such a lovely interview!

Dec. 20 2011 01:37 AM
CT from CA

Wow. Bitter, boring, bored, small-minded, and self-absorbed. What "inspiration" do people see in this woman? "Over all that" indeed. Where's the life? The vitality? The joy? The curiosity? The perspective? The "wisdom"? The gratitude for a life well lived? Humor? Family? Friends? This was half an hour of complaining. Poor Leonard - he tried. God forbid any of us should be so miserable.

Apr. 25 2011 01:06 PM
anonyme

I think this is a wonderful conversation. Some people just can't stretch their minds. You don't have to agree but her curiosity and courage are really quite admirable and she's very clear and articulate.

Apr. 14 2011 09:28 AM
Susan from Italia

Loved the interview. Leonard is so at ease with hollywood greats. The best interviewer around. Ciao.

Apr. 13 2011 03:55 PM
David

I found it interesting that when she mentioned the budget farce in Washington, she doesn't complain about the stupid wars that the U.S. is wasting trillions of dollars on in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, and now Libya (and, of course, murdering innocent civilians in those places who have done NOTHING to the United States). Her concern is the few million dollars that won't cover women's abortions in the District of Columbia. (Well, she did say the world was overpopulated. I guess she must think the wars in Asia are a good way to cut down on the population.) I "wonder" if she had any complaints about these wars when Republican Bush was president? Hmmm? Now that her Democratic Obama is the current Warmonger-in-Chief, she must think that these wars really are "justified." At least liberals like Ralph Nader, Glenn Greenwald, and Daniel Ellsberg are principled in their stand against these atrocious U.S. government wars and are still speaking out against them. The majority of the the left have all copped out on this. They should be ashamed of themselves. They have proven to be just as much sheeple as those on the right.

Apr. 13 2011 03:46 PM
Glork

Is she not well, intoxicated or simply old? For someone who has been given so much in life, she did not present herself very well at all . I fet bad for Leonard Lopate because he sounded like he was ashamed or embarassed to have to do the interview, but it isn't his fault that she is not up to his standards.

Apr. 13 2011 01:15 PM
MIke from Tribeca

A bit daft, but a helluva great actress.

Apr. 13 2011 12:59 PM
keith from nyc

She sounds like a horrid person. Full of negativity about everything important, from youth to travel. Famous maybe, and maybe talented actor, but I doubt she would make a good friend with so much prejudice, yeesh.

Apr. 13 2011 12:48 PM
declan

longest pointlessly discursive rant ever. what i really love is the time and deference given by lopate to this moron. he never does this with math or science guests... perhaps because he's completely in the dark with them.

Apr. 13 2011 12:47 PM
Andy from United Kingdom

Young people are so terrible, especially the ones at Starbucks. Sigh, with Mercury in retrograde, our souls must not be old enough to tune into the magneto-cristals.

Apr. 13 2011 12:42 PM

FINALLY! Let's move on!

Apr. 13 2011 12:42 PM
eric from brooklyn

she is full of shnizzle

so disappointed with Lopate today

Apr. 13 2011 12:41 PM
eric from brooklyn

she is full of shnizzle

so disappointed with Lopate today

Apr. 13 2011 12:40 PM
Capper from NYC

Young people feeling entitled and not having as strong a work ethic.... I hear this from so so many teachers!

Apr. 13 2011 12:39 PM
blueskyminer

hahahaha. senile.

Apr. 13 2011 12:39 PM
Will

Please! Someone get the hook!

Apr. 13 2011 12:39 PM

Huh...is she getting a full hour?

Apr. 13 2011 12:36 PM
Meg from CT

I think Leonard is smitten.

Apr. 13 2011 12:35 PM
CL from New York

Ugh. Nothing like boorishness coupled with weak-mindedness. Fine actress, though.

Apr. 13 2011 12:35 PM
Richard from Yonkers

She is PAINFUL -- wrap this up!!!

Apr. 13 2011 12:34 PM
MP from Brooklyn

Poor Leonard indeed! This is like an SNL parody.

Apr. 13 2011 12:33 PM

HAHAHAHHAHA!

Your are really CRAZY!!!

But you can afford to be!

Apr. 13 2011 12:33 PM
Capper from NYC

She's got good honesty. who isn't cantankerous, argumentative, or slightly bitter about something.

ahaaahaa... i'm getting a kick out of it all.

Apr. 13 2011 12:32 PM
BKthoughts from BK

Poor Leonard!!!
This interview is painful!!!!
I think MacLaine is over being sane, coherent and/or pleasant.
Who on earth sent this woman out on a book tour?

Apr. 13 2011 12:32 PM
MP from Brooklyn

This interview is getting weirder by the minute.

Apr. 13 2011 12:27 PM
lee

cantankerous, argumentative, slightly bitter, perhaps a curmudgeon in a previous life?

Apr. 13 2011 12:24 PM
Willa from NYC

Another spoiled crass grumpy unfunny Hollywood worker droning on about their personal "journey" of enlightenment while complaining about everything and everyone else.

No thanks. I am OVER Shirley MacLaine

Apr. 13 2011 12:23 PM
fb from ossining

The Queen of absence of ego. Great actress. I always want to watch her.
;)

Apr. 13 2011 12:22 PM
lee

Apr. 13 2011 12:22 PM
Snoop

What a weird interview... I'm with Soupygirl- time to clean the bathroom.

Don't worry leonard, still love the show! Usually. :)

Apr. 13 2011 12:19 PM

Okay--wack job time! I think it's time to clean the bathroom.

She's a super actress though--I guess it's that "imagination" thing.

Lenny, seriously, this is a real interview and some belated April Fool's joke?

Apr. 13 2011 12:15 PM
Joel Newman from Hoboken

Shirley Maclaine is very talented, but, in this interview, she sounds incredibly bitter and curt. (There was no need to disparage her recent film's director publicly.) She's losing major points in my book.

Apr. 13 2011 12:15 PM
MP from Brooklyn

Both wacky and a great actor - the two are by no means mutually exclusive.

Apr. 13 2011 12:15 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I love Shirley, but she really is a wack-job.

Yes you really are wacky Shirley, so accept it.

Apr. 13 2011 12:09 PM
Jon Grossman from Connecticut

I am 45 years old, and Shirley Maclaine is my favorite actor of all time. She is talented, intelligent, and beautiful. One of her 1960s photos has been my computer desktop's background image for many years. All these years later, that image still gives me butterflies in my stomach every time I see it.

Apr. 13 2011 01:04 AM