Open Phones: Weekend Services

Monday, April 11, 2011

Listeners: Did you attend any religious services this weekend? What was the message from your religious leaders? What was on the minds of your fellow attendees? Give us a call or comment here!

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jim

Proud? Why should I be proud (or ashamed) of my beliefs? I cannot help but feel despair for humanity when I am inundated by religious fervor rooted in badly written (and badly translated) ancient texts. One of the callers talked about the Egotism of the Koran burner -- what about the egotism of choosing any narrowly defined religion? No, I am not proud of my religious beliefs -- nor should anyone.

Apr. 11 2011 12:18 PM
Tony from red hook

@Xhipstr2 - Yes I am proud of my point of view.

All the kind and virtuous people testifying here would be that way without religion.

Our global society should leave religion behind and thus eliminate the framework that has for millennia justified mass-industrialized murder of innocents.

The is no bearded daddy up there. Maybe some sort of cosmic complexity. All we can do is wonder and not kill each other in the process.

Apr. 11 2011 12:05 PM
Catherine from Long Island

But what we talked about at home this weekend was Japan and Haiti. My daughter's friend's school packed several thousand meals this past Thursday and Friday to send to the victims who are still suffering in Haiti. We have a cousin in Japan right now. His US Navy boat is recovering bodies still from water. His wife is Japanese. They tell us there are thousands of orphaned children in Japan. We are organizing a drive at my daughter's elementary school for the Japanese orphans.

Apr. 11 2011 12:03 PM
Henry from Katonah

I attend St Luke’s Episcopalian in my town. One of our parishioners founded an AIDS/HIV clinic in the Dominican Republic. Every summer it has a camp for children 6-18 years old with that disease.

This Sunday, some of the parishioners were discussing raising money to support the camp.
With the many causes that we could contribute to, the personal involvement of someone we know and respect makes a difference. It is about community.

Apr. 11 2011 11:56 AM
Catherine from Long Island

You opened the segment stating your listeners attend religious service or not. So on the lighter side of this segment... both of my deceased parents were devout atheists and my father claimed his religion was the second section of the Sunday New York Times.
In that vein, we attended Garrison Keillor’s show in at The Town Hall in Times Square this Saturday. He mentioned that what we learned from the averted government shutdown Friday night, was which federal employees are essential unfortunately NPR neither Nina Totenberg nor Garrison made the cut! I think my religion is, perhaps, NPR. I regularly attend the WNYC parish and YOU, Brian are perhaps my favorite minister. So my soul is in DEEP PERIL with the Republican budget cuts.

Apr. 11 2011 11:54 AM
Xhipstr2

Jim and Tony compare ur comments to the others. Proud of this?

Apr. 11 2011 11:51 AM
Jim

When will humanity transcend superstition and blind acceptance of "holy" scripture? Sadly, it seems like we are not capable.

Apr. 11 2011 11:43 AM
Tony from red hook

There's a good chance god doesn't exist. Either way organized religion is barbaric and exists to oppress women and justify war.

Secular Humanism!

Apr. 11 2011 11:40 AM
Charles Lukoba from Newark, NJ

Attended St Michaels Church Wayne (Anglican or Episcopal Church). Father John Donnelly discussed what God wants from us.
Big thing I was surprised he mentioned was the egotism of the Koran burning in Florida. Also I take my 6 year old nephew to Church he goes to Sunday school on the drive I was trying to explain how Tsunami is, he received picture in Sunday school of the victims in Japan Tsunami.

Apr. 11 2011 11:33 AM
jj from CT

Mass was nice. We had a food drive for the poor and the sermon was about respecting life. Less War, Abortion, Etc.

Apr. 11 2011 11:32 AM
b from hewitt

Our sermon this week was about our ability to begin again, rise from that dead place in our lives. Christ Church Warwick ny

Apr. 11 2011 11:30 AM
adsf

"Recently, I came across a commentary that reflected on a passage from this week's Torah portion, Metzora. The Torah portion concerns the ritual for the purification of the leper and his re-admittance into the community. The ritual involves two birds, one of which is sacrificed. However, what if the only bird available is a mother bird hovering over her young? According to the Book of Deuteronomy, this bird must be "shooed" away to prevent her distress at seeing her eggs or chicks taken for food. In other words, does the suffering leper "shoo" away the only bird that can save him?
The Sages in tractate Hullin ultimately decide that yes, the commandment to shoo away the mother bird to spare its distress takes precedence over using that bird as part of the purification ritual. Rabbi David Hartman has said that the Sages were theologians who wrote their theology in the form of legal argument. In this example, of the leper who postpones saving himself in order to observe the commandment to save the mother bird, they are making the case that sometimes moral acts require self-sacrifice. Shabbat Shalom"

from Rabbi Sagal

Apr. 11 2011 11:18 AM
Fran from Westchester from Westchester

Attended a Scholar in Residence weekend at my synagogue, Bet Am Shalom in White Plains, led by Rabbi Michael Marmur discussing the work of Abraham Joshua Heschel who walked with MLK in Selma. One of the matters discussed was Heschel's view on the importance of "doing" instead of just talking (getting out of one's comfort zone). Also the importance of viewing they world through a lense of "wow" rather than "oy."

Apr. 11 2011 11:13 AM
Anthony from East Village, NYC

I went to a few different services this weekend. In the East Village we have a local interfaith consortium of rabbi's, imams, priests, etc...
fyi: www.LocalFaithCommunities.org

All said prayers again for Japan, and most had collections, some had events to raise money for efforts there. All mentioned concern for our economy and the effects on many of our congregants in terms of affordable rents, lack of jobs and increased costs to live here. As a group we are beginning to look at if any of the many new banks are investing positively in our community, not just lending to aggressive landlords. Most here in the EV support personal involvement in social justice issues. There was a large gathering and protest locally at Union Sq. against our wars, Guantanamo injustice, and nuclear fuel/weapons which various congregants went to. We stand against the desecration of any of our sacred books or places of worship, but most importantly, not the taking of human life in the name of religion. Practicing the preach.

Apr. 11 2011 10:21 AM
Kathleen from CT

This weekend's Biblical readings and meditations focused on hope (based on Ezekial 37) and the story of Lazarus. Ironic: the story of being raised from the grave, given the doings in Washington...

Apr. 11 2011 10:02 AM