Open Phones: The Budget Deal

Monday, April 11, 2011

Listeners: Wherever you are on the political spectrum, do you feel like your leaders sold you out? Or are you happy with their leadership? Give us a call or comment here!

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

MB from Westchester from Westchester

For the caller who said there had been no reform introduced in the Obama health care plan, here are two already in effect:
First, just got a check from the insurance company reimbursing me for the cost of a mammogram (preventative testing apparently must be covered as of 2011). Hadn't happened in five years with this work-provided insurance company (they covered certain mammogram providers, sadly I had bad experience with the two I tried). Second example: college graduates (maybe all children?) can be covered on parents' insurance until age 27.

Apr. 11 2011 01:43 PM
joseph from NYC

Brian, I would appreciate if you gave the Liberal voice some more time. The left is often marginalized during your discussions while while the extreme right is given an uncritical opportunity to voice their divisive and extremist opinions.

Apr. 11 2011 12:46 PM
Eugenia Renskoff from Brooklyn, NY

Hi, Brian, I don’t understand how tax cuts for the wealthy will help the poor. How can cutting vital services like Medicare and Medicaid will make the poor (and I am one of them) live better? Eugenia Renskoff

Apr. 11 2011 12:28 PM
Robin Burnes from NYC

For the record, and in the interest of full disclosure, I make a bit more than $250,000 and would have no problem paying higher taxes (ideally the hike would go along with a lot less defense spending but that's another issue). Even much higher taxes -- I'd be happy to live in a more Swedish United States. I would just appreciate a little more honesty from the Democrats about who's being targeted -- $250,000 does not a millionaire make.

Apr. 11 2011 11:36 AM
john from office

McCain was born in Panama, was that ever a real issue. No. The whole birther issue is that of a small population that cannot wrap their heads around having a black american president.

Obama 2012, insured by the far right.

Apr. 11 2011 10:55 AM
Carolyn Blackburn from NYC

Did everyone notice that, when the budget wasn't completed back in November, an extention was given so that our (paid) representatives could go home to campaign? What's that all about? In the private sector, there's an expectation that you get the job done before you ask for a raise...

Apr. 11 2011 10:47 AM

Caller Joe,

Obama not qualified? No, the people just elected him -- just like they did with Bush 43 (once -- the other time the Supreme Court gave him the office).

By the way, most of the USA debt occurred under Bush's watch. Remember TARP?

And you sound like a birther. No points for you but thanks for playing.

Apr. 11 2011 10:46 AM
john from office

The Birther who called is the problem.

Apr. 11 2011 10:45 AM
Jean from office

I find it interesting that all the republican/ former republican callers so far are men. I think this says a lot about who the republicans are and what they represent.

Apr. 11 2011 10:45 AM
Jeff Pappas from Ct.

And remember Bush kept the Irag war OFF the books, so figure that in

Apr. 11 2011 10:45 AM
Georgia from Ramsey, N.J.

Most seniors have already had to adjust to major losses in their savings. If Medicare is cut, it will effect people who don't have the time or ability to come up with a "plan B." This is what we were told could be counted on. Are seniors going to end up on welfare? What happens then?

Apr. 11 2011 10:43 AM
Robert from NYC

Instead of kvetching on this show and saying "this country... why don't they..." YOU mister ARE this country. Stop the kvetching and get into the streets and protest!!! Let's go. We are this country. Americans sit back and want it done for them. That's not how it worked in Egypt, man, they got up of their duffs and did it!!! In the words of Dennis Kusinich, "Wake up America!!"

Apr. 11 2011 10:41 AM
Jeff Pappas from Ct.

Yea and imagine a new WPA program

Apr. 11 2011 10:41 AM
els from Ridgefield, CT

If necessary programs and services are underfunded or totally removed from the Federal budget, perhaps those who have the advantage of wealth and historically low tax rates could fill the gap???
Also Could the individuals and groups with financial advantage be prompted to fund programs that replace the lost jobs by the Federal cuts?

Apr. 11 2011 10:40 AM
john from office

I agree sooo much with the genetic republican. I am also a republican and the party has lost me due to the tea party and the arguments put out there. Like the whole birther issue, it is embarrassment.

Apr. 11 2011 10:39 AM
carolita from NYC

People making over 250K can well afford higher taxes. I can't believe anyone is actually trying to say they can't. But even just raising taxes on actual millionaires would serve the country better. Personally, I say draw the line at 300K if it bothers the 250K'ers so much. Happy now, you poor poor 250K earners?

Apr. 11 2011 10:37 AM
Jeff Pappas from Ct.

As an Independent Freelancer I am appalled by Obamas weakness toward the Rich , Wealthy or what ever you want to call people making more than 250 K per year.
He has only caved into their Greed !

Apr. 11 2011 10:35 AM
Robert from NYC

I can't believe that in 2011 $250,000 annual income is considered "rich"! maybe for a single individual but for a family of 4 or more that's about what I would call comfortable, maybe a little more than comfortable but not much.
Obama is out of touch as much as the Rs are with citizens and more in touch with lobbyists whom he seems to think are the "experts"!! He has crappy advisors for sure.
Nobody represents me in this room and I have a feeling most Americans feel that way.

Apr. 11 2011 10:34 AM
Robin Burnes from NYC

Does President Obama know the difference between $250,000 and $1,000,000? His proposal calls for tax increases for people making over $250,000 a year. But he and his spokespeople characterize this exclusively in terms of a proposal to tax "millionaires."

Apr. 11 2011 10:16 AM