The FDA and Food Dyes

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The FDA is holding a panel of experts to examine the alleged links between artificial food dyes and hyperactivity in children. Joining us to discuss this issue is Marion Nestle, author, blogger, and Paulette Goddard Professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York University.

Marion Nestle

Nick from NJ

My younger brother, now 40, definitly had this "ADHD" issue. My mother put us on an all natural diet back in the mid-70's and it went away in weeks. He still avoids red dyed food and snacks to this day.

Mar. 31 2011 02:24 PM
hello? is this thing on?

Intelligent people don't serve or eat food dyes. It's an IQ test, like driving drunk.

Mar. 31 2011 01:09 PM
Calls'em from Here, there & everywhere.

One of the major polls showed that over 80% of the people who voted for 0bama had food dyes that morning; while over 80% of the folks who voted for McCain had eggs & bacon. Makes one wonder, don't it?

Mar. 31 2011 11:44 AM
Em

junk fuud not had no bad efect on mi made mi strong

Mar. 31 2011 11:44 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

So nice to have Marion Nestle on again (especially knowing she married one of my professors from Cornell). I have to laugh because it just dawned on me that my son hardly ever has anything with dye other than when he buys food himself. Yet, our son is incredibly active to the point that I had to put him in Martial Arts. I thought he would finally tire him out when he did his 3 hour black belt test, but after a short rest for lunch he wanted to walk home from the east to the west side across Central Park. Nevertheless, I do know that small studies do not pick up on those individuals that really do have reactions to substances that may not affect the larger population. Thus, I consider it PLAUSIBLE that there is a connection that may not yet have been proven in a PROBABILITY study. Who needs dyes anyway?

Mar. 31 2011 11:39 AM
Valky from NJ

I don't necessarily think that there are direct negative effects of dyes on children, but I try to avoid them for my sons. I do not like unnecessary artificial ingredients. We like bright colors because our bodies crave bright food. However, we crave tomatoes and instead we lick red lollipops, we crave carrot and instead we eat cheetos. I don't like corn syrup either. I think food is what is good for eating. Nobody would go and buy a can of red 40 for eating, why is it on our food? It is shameful that companies like Kellog's advertise directly to children (with cartoon characters) and puts all kinds of these ingredients on their stuff.

Mar. 31 2011 11:39 AM
David from Brooklyn

The guest says that removing dyes will decrease consumer demand for junk food. Although this probably was true at the time of the focus groups demonstrating the effect, nowadays, as people care more and more about going green/organic/etc., removing dyes might actually improve sales.

Mar. 31 2011 11:37 AM
Carolyn from Manhattan

I had a similar situation from Red dye when i was a kid. I would sleepwalk and night terrors. It took a while, but my mother figured it was usually after birthday parties where i had red dye (especially the italian ice with the wooden stick).

(this was in the 80s so it may have been prior to the banning of certain red dyes).

Mar. 31 2011 11:37 AM
Steve from Rockville Centre, NY

This is just another hysteria like "autism is caused by vaccinations". And then after we spend millions on studies in order to prove there's no link, the same shrill parents will find another chemical scapegoat. What's next? ALL kids are hyperactive.

Mar. 31 2011 11:06 AM
carolita from NYC

They've been asking this question for the last 40 years, can you believe it? What's the holdup? And personally, even as a child, I couldn't stomach the idea of consuming foods that had food dyes in them (maybe I was a weird kid), because it seemed like a con anyway. Why would you eat food that has make up on? Who knows what's in it? I avoided that stuff like the plague. Anyone with any sense would. Do you really need the FDA to tell you what makes sense?

Mar. 31 2011 10:24 AM