Streams

In Agreement With Prosecutors, Levy Says He Will Not Seek Third Term

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy abruptly announced on Thursday that he will not seek a third term as part of an agreement with prosecutors investigating Levy's campaign fundraising.

Levy, who ran unsuccessfully for governor last year, made the announcement in a press release. He also said he accepted responsibility for any problems under his watch, and turned over $4 million in campaign funds to the District Attorney Thomas Spota.

Spota said a 16-month investigation revealed serious issues with Levy's fundraising, "including the use of public resources." But Spota says he's confident Levy didn't personally profit, and decided he didn't need to resign before his term expires on December 31.

Levy, a Democrat who joined the GOP for last year's gubernatorial run, has been widely popular during his two terms, overwhelmingly winning re-election in 2007.  However, advocacy groups have accused him of contributing to a hostile environment for Latinos in Suffolk, with his strong comments on illegal immigration. The county police department is the subject of a federal hate crimes probe.

Tags:

More in:

Comments [2]

bill from smithtown, NY

Steve Levy was a petty and cowardly politician who would try to crush critics rather than deal with them fairly. He is an ego maniac for sure and a very dull and stupid "pinocchio" looking jerk.

Good riddance to YOU Mr. Steve!

Mar. 25 2011 10:58 AM
dawn

DON'T LEAVE!

Mar. 25 2011 09:29 AM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.

Get the WNYC Morning Brief in your inbox.
We'll send you our top 5 stories every day, plus breaking news and weather.

Sponsored

Latest Newscast

 

 

Support

WNYC is supported by the Charles H. Revson Foundation: Because a great city needs an informed and engaged public

Feeds

Supported by