City Warns 15,000 Formerly Homeless That End to Rent Subsidies Is Near

Thursday, March 17, 2011

New York City is telling more than 15,000 formerly homeless individuals and families that they should not expect government to help with their rent starting in two weeks.

The Bloomberg administration said state budget cuts are forcing it to cancel the Advantage program. The subsidies help the homeless leave shelters once they've found jobs.

The Department of Homeless Services estimates that 4,400 families will be forced back into shelters as a result of the cuts.

A spokesman for Governor Andrew Cuomo said the city could pay for the program if it wanted to.

He says the city "seems intent on manufacturing a crisis and endangering thousands of New Yorkers."

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Melissa t. from UES

Thank goodness. Other countries don't even support disabled people, their parents support them. Why should these poor ghetto useless disabled people get to live in manhattan when they dont even work? Why should my tax Payers pay for them? How do they contribute to society? All they do is sell drugs and hang out all day.
Get rid of public housing and homeless people, and those black people trying to sell CDs on rhe street!

Aug. 05 2011 07:32 PM
Rmarie from Every where but home

This is a very sad times for all homeless families, when the government offer poor people housing program it seem make poor people bound around like a yoyo. Homelessness can Be ended very easy and our government how to stop giving our children mental problems, one minute the poor kids have homes than they have a shelters, which is a shame. The government spend thousandths on shelter stay for family. Then have the nerve to take away public housing, then replace it with broken housing programs like Fix income advantage programs. The only thing that poor homeless people want is affortable and decent housing.

May. 16 2011 11:51 AM
elizabeth reynolds from manhattan

I currently reside in a next step shelter even though I have complied with the system I disagree with the no voucher . I work part time and came in the shelter due to a sexual assault left my private house two years ago, yet I have nothing now except threats if I don't get a full time and save my money acs will come for my kids well Is guess that means the whole world wide shelters with kids. I'm depressed and tired I've been rebudgeted with a promise of help and nothing I voted for these so called politians who are ruining the system america is not broke and they need to stop robbing the poor

Apr. 12 2011 03:03 PM
Travis from Bronx

I myself have been in the shelter. I recently was moved from a shelter into an apartment with my girlfriend and my son. Though i wasn't able to get accepted into the Advantage program, i was able to get accepted into another program that basically does the same thing. If knowing what i know now about the Bloomberg Administration and their plans to cut back, i would have never opted into this program. My family and I have an active PA Case. These programs that are (were) provided helped us established ourself a little more than what we once were. But with these government run programs going, all I can say is that i wish and pray for everyone. There has to be a backup plan because if there is not one, many people(in my opinion) will turn to crime. Many people will do the most weirdest, negative, and most violent things to provide shelter and food for their family and love ones.

Apr. 07 2011 02:44 PM
TogosTurn from New York

I'm no expert of any kind, so I'm not giving any advice, but if I were in this situation, I would make a "Public Benefit Fair Hearing Request".

Advantage Program isn't a good program, we need a better program to combat homelessness, but shutting down the program with 2 weeks notice and NO replacement is horrible.

Mar. 21 2011 04:28 PM
Jennifer from Queens New york

I disagree about stopping the Advantage progams . Govener Andrew Cuomo says he's protecting kids and children . Well he's wrong . I'm a single mother that is disabled and is on SSI and PA and has the 2 children under the age of 5 and 1 thats 10 years of age ,an another thats on the way this october of 2011 . So you wanna keep homeless people out of a shelter , then why are you cutting people off Avantage programs if they are disabled and can't work cause there disability . Then what is the cause for people to suffer when you know they have nothing? Cause so far i had tried many times while pregnant to find a job and filling out applictions for jobs or either they take a number but never tempt to call . So you want people to vote for you ? You wanna give good an safe places for family & people and children to live ? Well you took that all away and threw them into the street with everthing they have . And you don't even seem to care because you think you have all that money you think you are somebody when your not . And when you think about it your just like everybody else . Cause money isn't everything .

Mar. 20 2011 02:21 AM