Brian Cox and Kiefer Sutherland on "That Championship Season"

Friday, March 18, 2011

Actors Brian Cox and Kiefer Sutherland talk about the revival of the Pulitzer Prize-winning play, "That Championship Season,” directed by Gregory Mosher. The play takes place during the 20th anniversary of a Catholic high school basketball team's victory in the Pennsylvania state championship game, when four members of the starting lineup have gathered to celebrate with their coach, who is terminally ill. "That Championship Season” is playing at the Bernard Jacob Theater through May 29.

Brian Cox and Kiefer Sutherland

anonyme

Hey guys - don't tell me the Brits and Canadians aren't at least as racist as we are! Irish and Indians in England and First Nations people in Canada!

Mar. 18 2011 02:55 PM
anonyme

Jim Gaffigan is good in it -

Mar. 18 2011 12:40 PM
Mike Flood from Rockaway

How is Jim Gaffigan in it?

Mar. 18 2011 12:21 PM
A listener

Did the series "24" give Jack Bau....sorry, Kiefer, the financial freedom to call his own shots?

Also, loved Mr. Cox in the jason Bourne series.

Mar. 18 2011 12:12 PM
annie from NYC

Can you ask them my question?

I studied playwriting back in college so the script really interests me.

In your opinion, how is this show relevant today? What was the director's contemporary message.

I saw it and I have my own theories.

Did you perceive a generational difference in way the script was written, ie the language?

Great job in any case! I saw it a last week.

Mar. 18 2011 12:04 PM
anonyme

Not the fault of the actors - every one of them wonderful (so much empty dialogue to sell! amazing!) but that play is irrelevant, overly wordy, says little, tells you many times what it wants you to conclude or experience, might have been effective half as long - I felt little connection to or between any of the actors - I felt trapped in my very good seat - was a guest, wanted to leave!!! There were a few overly long but effective setups/good laughs but there really wasn't much of a story. Or if there was it was really about 1972 and doesn't speak to today at all, except to show differences between then and now.

Mar. 18 2011 10:39 AM