All About Pensions: Investment Advice

Friday, March 18, 2011

What kind of retirement investments should you make in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s? Gary Ball, director of BetterInvesting, offers advice on how to manage your personal pension funds.

Gary Ball
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

tag from New york metro area

I found most advise of Mr.Ball to be incorrect. It is almost impossible to buy bonds with maturities under 6 years.

Mar. 19 2011 08:18 PM
Helen Updike from NYC

Gary Ball excellent. Down to earth, unpretentious, sensible. Been in the business for nearly 25 years, so well know what a good advisor says. He's one.

Mar. 18 2011 05:09 PM

To make saving for your retirement mandatory needs to start in KINDERGARTEN--teaching to save! And that means we are trying to change the culture of spending, spending, spending to keep our economies going. So really, in my opinion the idea of saving goes counter-culture. And we will have a very hard time getting people to save.

Mar. 18 2011 11:59 AM
Tea from Brooklyn

Isn't it a bit of a fallacy that taxes always go up?

The highest earners have had their taxes drop significantly, and the lowest wage earners also dropped a bit.

Mar. 18 2011 11:57 AM
Bob from Queens

Please.
Unless there is a major re-distribution of the country's wealth, no investment vehicle can yield so-called middle class or working class people enough to sustain their current standard of living into their retirement years. That's why many of us will have to continue working until we drop dead.

Mar. 18 2011 11:55 AM
Edward from NJ

For married couples in the New York metro area, it's pretty common to go over the income limits for IRAs. Are there any good alternatives?

Mar. 18 2011 11:53 AM
fromabroad

Hi, I am residing abroad now. I have always contributed to my Roth-IRA until I left for work. Is it true that I cannot contribute to my Roth-IRA while I live abroad? What happens if I do it anyway??
Thanks!!

Mar. 18 2011 11:52 AM
Amy from Manhattan

What about SEP IRAs?

Mar. 18 2011 11:51 AM
Joe from Charleston

Just turned 30, but am still in graduate school. I've accrued some money in IRA accounts--Roth, traditional, and rolled over 401k from previous employment. What kind of mix of investments should I have in my portfolio? How aggressive can I be at this age and at later stages of my life with these funds?

Mar. 18 2011 11:49 AM
Susan from NYC

I lost a LOT of my retirement money in the crash, and while some of it has come back, I now have my 403(b) in Treasury bonds. I know this isn't really smart, but I'm spooked. What do you recommend?

Mar. 18 2011 11:49 AM
John Hamm from nyc

Saving for retirement should be mandatory. Given the choice most people will not save for retiremnet. Thats why Social Security is so great and it works, its mandated.

401K, IRA etc... are optional and will not work for most people... we will learn that terrible lesson at some point in the near future.

Mar. 18 2011 11:05 AM
Caitlin

I'm in my late 20s, and never worked at a company that contributes to a 401k. Is there any point in signing up for it anyway, or should I get an IRA instead? And is there data out there on what percentage of businesses contribute to their employees' 401ks, and whether the trend is going down?

Mar. 18 2011 10:56 AM