Two Veteran Police Officers Killed Over Weekend

Two NYPD officers with more than a decade of experience were killed in the line of duty last weekend. One was pushed over a railing and tumbled to his death on a leafy street in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn. The second was fatally shot by an MTA officer on Long Island after a confrontation with a knife-wielding man. The suspect was also killed.

In Brooklyn, officers responded to a domestic violence call early Sunday morning. As officer Alain Schaberger, 42, prepared to take the suspect into custody he was shoved over a railing in front of the brownstone and tumbled down a concrete stairway to the basement. The nine-foot fall broke his neck.

The suspect, George Villanueva, 42, was arrested on charges of first-degree murder, assault and criminal contempt of court. According to police, Villanueva has a history of domestic violence arrests as well as 28 prior arrests for robbery and burglary. He was released from prison in 2008.

If convicted of killing Schaberger he could be sentenced to life in prison.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Officer Schaberger was responding to a call from a women who told police her boyfriend was threatening to kill her. The woman, 48, said she has a restraining order against Villanueva.

In a separate incident on Long Island, 40-miles east of Manhattan in Massapequa Park, officers responded to a call and found a 21-year old in dark clothing and a hockey mask with several knives strapped to his body.

When officers arrived, the man, Anthony Digeronimo, ran into a neighbor's house and barricaded himself in a bedroom, according to Nassau County police. When officers called for backup, Digeronimo allegedly emerged and lunged at officers.

The police drew their weapons and shot Digeronimo, killing him.

Shortly afterward, more officers arrived, including plain-clothed Bureau of Special Operations officers and off-duty MTA officers who patrol the Long Island railroad. It was then that special officer Geoffrey Breitkopf, 40, a 12-year veteran, was shot. He was taken to a local hospital where he died.

The Nassau County Police Department said the shooting is still under investigation, and can’t comment on the specific details of the shooting.

With the Associated Press