Science 101: Bill Nye, The Science Guy

Monday, March 07, 2011

Last year, New York City's 4th and 8th graders scored below both the state and national averages on a nationwide science exam. Every day over the next week, we'll take a few minutes to get to the bottom of some common science questions.

Today, Bill Nye, the Science Guy and executive director of The Planetary Society, answers listeners' science questions.

Bill Nye

Amy from Manhattan

Not only are there thousands of species of insects, there are ~1,900 species of termites alone! So "termites" can't be the 1 species w/the greatest total mass. The 1 advantage humans have is that we *are* just 1 species--but that probably still doesn't put us anywhere near the top for collective mass.

Mar. 08 2011 02:14 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Bloomberg's explanation of magnetism did have 1 error: electrons don't orbit atoms--they orbit atomic nuclei.

Mar. 07 2011 12:01 PM
Bevin from Brooklyn

Valerie - I get those too! Every time the barometer changes!

Mar. 07 2011 12:00 PM
Chris from Sunset Park

Please ask Bill about fixing schools and not easy-to-google science questions!

BTW the species with the greatest biomass (largets by weight) is plankton.

Mar. 07 2011 12:00 PM
Valerie from manhattan

My migraines also correlate with barometric pressure drops. Apparently, this is more common than your guest thinks; my neurologist says he has to take the phone off the hook on rainy days because he gets so many calls from his migraine patients!

Mar. 07 2011 11:58 AM
David from Brooklyn

Please ask Bill Nye about a product he endorsed as a paid spokesman called Activeion. It's a cleaning product that claims to be based on science that other scientists say is pseudoscience. I've always regarded Bill as a great example of science education, but ever since he made this endorsement, I can't hear Bill Nye's name without being disappointed. So I want to know: is Activeion's "oxygen-rich mixture of positive and negative nano-bubbles" really science? If not, why did he endorse them, and how can I get back to respecting him? Did he just need the money? (I know science journalism isn't the most lucrative field). If Activeion is really based on science, can he reassure me that the skeptics are wrong about it? I really want to like Bill Nye again.

You can find an article about this at http://skepticblog.org/2010/04/22/bill-nye-selling-out-to-the-man/ and you can see Nye's endorsement at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U766N7nhIDE

Mar. 07 2011 10:30 AM