Lost and Found In Russia

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Susan Richards looks at the transformation of Russia after the fall of communism. Lost and Found in Russia: Lives in the Post-Soviet Landscape reveals how the history of contemporary Russia is a portrait of a society in transition.

Susan Richards

Melissa from Ridgewood, NJ

Just listened to this on a podcast. Not only did she say "slitty-eyed," she had a couple of lines about how adorable "Jewish merchants" were ... wow.

Mar. 01 2011 02:23 PM
diana from Manhattan

I was rattled upon hearing Ms. Richards say 'slitty-eyed people' and in a way that suggested a kind of attitude that may have existed 100 years ago in Imperialist Britain, baldly objectifying an entire ethnicity. Terrible. I wish Leonard had said something.

Feb. 25 2011 02:05 AM
John

Khodorkovsky did not pay for trying to bring democracy to Russia, he paid for making 17 billion $ disappear from his company and for trying to stop the repatriation of oil companies' profits from private accounts of the oligarchs (which is where they all ended up) into Russia. The reason that the country was so devastated in the 90s was because all the profits the companies made went straight into the oligarchs private accounts in Switzerland or the Britsish Isles etc.

By the way it is wrong that Yeltsin is popular in Russia. He is, in fact, very deeply un-popular.

Feb. 23 2011 06:09 PM
Kingston from NJ

Sanych,
Please elaboate on point #3. Thanks.

Feb. 23 2011 01:51 PM
sanych

1. Michael, I think you are grossly outdated. "Negr" in "our language" translates to "African-American".

:-)

2. "Slitty-eyed" it was. It had nothing to do with Russian xenophobia, but with her notion that all Asians (including Arabs, Iranians, Indians, etc.) are "slitty-eyed".

3. I know a bit about Russia (had spent the first 23 years of my life there). There was a lot of unadulterated B/S coming from Richards during this interview.

Feb. 22 2011 02:51 PM
Chloe from Brooklyn

Having spent time in Siberia in the early 90s, I was shocked by the xenophobia amongst even the most educated who had no exposure to foreigners. She was reflecting language that siberians themselves would use to make the point that this is their perspective on their relationship with Asia - in some ways it can compared to some american views of Mexicans. Knowing the sophistication and delicacy of Susan richards writing, she was using quotes that could not be communicated on air.

Feb. 22 2011 02:44 PM
Michael from NYC

I think her comment was more to highlight Russian xenophobia...they still use the word negr for africans...what in our language would translate to negro.

Feb. 22 2011 02:23 PM
Hal from NYC

I wish I could have witnessed Lopate's reaction to her juvenile racial slur. I actually laughed out loud when I heard "slitty-eyed people" emanate from her very English, super-pretentious mouth. Richards seemed to quite enjoy the sound of her own "isn't it simply amazing?!" tone of voice.
Beyond that, the interview was mildly interesting.

Feb. 22 2011 02:14 PM
peter park from queens

i'm sorry, can you address the fact your guest used the term slitty-eyed people and get an apology on air for it? coming from her snotty british voice it was even more offensive.

Feb. 22 2011 01:57 PM
michael from brooklyn

excuse me? did she just use the term "slitty-eyed people"?

Feb. 22 2011 01:51 PM
michael from brooklyn

excuse me? did she just use the term "slitty-eyed people"?

Feb. 22 2011 01:50 PM
Pete from bk

Did she just say "slitty-eyed" people?

Feb. 22 2011 01:49 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Interesting interview, but I'd like to hear some evidence form your guest to support her assertion that "traditional healing" is successful.

Feb. 22 2011 01:47 PM