How We Age

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dr. Marc Agronin, adult and geriatric psychiatrist and author of How We Age: A Doctor's Journey into the Heart of Growing Oldexplores what aging means today and how well we do - or don't - understand the process.

Dr. Marc Agronin

Eugenia Renskoff from Brooklyn

Hi, Brian, The elderly that I have known have not had good lives. There was no cause for optimism as far as they were concerned. If they were in nursing homes, it wasn’t because they wanted to be there. Most of the time they felt unwanted and nursing homes were merely convenient dumping places. I understand the 93 year old woman who told your guest that being in a nursing home was Heaven after her husband died. Women of her generation often did not leave their husbands, though they should have. They usually stuck it out and felt liberated when they became widows. Eugenia Renskoff

Feb. 15 2011 01:52 PM
Susan from NYC

At 86, my mother-in-law suddenly started imagining multiple births, phantom marriages, among other unbelievable, untrue fantasies. After several months of tests and observation her condition suddenly improved when she was taken off of a pain medication that was introduced just prior to the delusions. As I age, I would hope doctors ALWAYS eliminate a medication connection before accepting these fantasies as normal consequences of aging.

Feb. 15 2011 11:09 AM
anonyme

I have an aunt who went to Europe and bought a new car at 90 and left this world without pain - she was just climbing up her stairs at 92 .

My mother is 91 and about to take a cruise with two of her 10 children - to study Energy Medicine. The teacher taught a group of seniors for awhile - aged 86 to 104 - she said they taught her the most of any groups she has ever taught.

John McCain's mother was in Paris a couple of years ago - they told her - she was 92 - she was too old to rent a car - so she bought one!

Too bad this caller is so cynical - waht a downer. Your guest is so gracious.

Feb. 15 2011 10:55 AM
Dorian from Manhattan

My mom had a stroke at age 72. My stepdad (her husband) is 18 years older and stepped up in energy, alertness, activity, and taking care of things mom had been taking care of (from bank accounts to magazine subscriptions to dealing with a maid). He became more energetic, more alert, more on the ball.
I think it was a combination of having real purpose, and his own strength of will and character. It was impressive to see.

Feb. 15 2011 10:55 AM

That last caller was aggressive. He needs to become 85 and realize he has everything he ever needed.

Feb. 15 2011 10:55 AM

Chuck - have you tried moderate exercise?

Feb. 15 2011 10:54 AM

Can the guest speak a little about exercise and its effect on the aging population? I read somewhere that this helps with cognition.

Feb. 15 2011 10:52 AM
Chuck from Brooklyn

Aging stinks.

I already have arthritis.

I already have a messed up back.

I'm only 40.

I've started suffering depressing too.

Feb. 15 2011 10:51 AM
superf88

There are lots of cancers that take 30 years to grow into a problem.

Do you think that, if folks could figure out how to live to 200, we would all eventually die of cancers that might take 70 or more years to grow? From things already in our bodies like Teflon, Jet Fuel and Fracking Compounds in our water that aren't killing at a massive scale to those living the current human lifespan?

Feb. 15 2011 10:21 AM