Major Affordable Housing Project Planned for Queens Waterfront

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

WNYC

New York City has chosen a team of real estate developers to bring a 5,000-unit housing complex to Hunters Point South along the Queens waterfront — a project that officials said will be the largest affordable housing development since the 1970s when Co-op City in the Bronx and Starrett City in Brooklyn were completed.

Mayor Bloomberg announced Wednesday that the first phase will open in 2014 with 908 rental apartments — three-quarters of which will be targeted at families with annual household incomes between $32,000 and $130,000 for a family of four — along with five acres of new parkland and a new 1,100-seat middle and high school.

“Hunters Point South will transform 30 acres of our long-abandoned industrial waterfront into a thriving new residential community,” Bloomberg said. “And in the coming years it will lead to more than $2 billion in private investment and spur the creation of more than 4,600 jobs.”

Phipps Houses, the Related Companies and Monadnock Construction make up the development team.

The city’s Housing Preservation and Development Commissioner Rafael Cestero said the deal requires that the affordable units — a minimum of 685 of the initial 908 units — to remain permanently affordable, even if ownership of the buildings changes in the future.

Prospective renters for the affordable units will be able to enter a lottery system when the vertical construction begins, with half of those units reserved for residents of the local Community Board 2.

The complex is being built on former industrial land that was once eyed as the Olympic Village in the city's bid for the 2012 Olympics.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Carol from Greenpoint, Brooklyn

Please alert me as to when the application process starts.

Nov. 19 2013 10:27 AM
Cbarnett2 from New York

Very much interested. How can I obtain an application?

Sep. 14 2013 05:49 PM
Seeker from Brooklyn

Please let me know where and when I can find or obtain an application for the "lottery."

Sep. 10 2013 01:49 PM
Kathy Lawlor

I would so very much appreciate it if someone would notify me about where I can get the application for the lottery for the apartments? Also when will it be available ?
thank you.

May. 13 2013 03:50 PM
Firuza Akter from 11-31,47th rd lic

Could you plase let me know where I can get an application

Apr. 12 2013 11:12 AM
Precious from Manhattan

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could notify me as soon as the applications become available. Thanks in advance.

Mar. 18 2013 12:38 PM
Nicky M. from Bronx

Can you please email me the information for the Hunter's Point lottery when it becomes available. Thank you.

Mar. 18 2013 12:35 PM
yanna from Queens

Plese inform me when and where I can get an application for this lottery asap.

thank you.

Mar. 07 2013 01:17 PM
Tammy Howell from Manhattan

Can you please e-mail me when application are available. Thanks

Mar. 04 2013 08:53 PM
Candida

Can you please e-mail me an application or inform me what site to obtain one.

Feb. 18 2013 05:33 PM
Alberto Colon from Queens

Hi,I'm looking to apply for these re-building apartments, can you please let me know how I can optain an application and where can I go for this application. Thank you.

Feb. 13 2013 02:18 PM
Nelson from Queens

What is the website to apply for an application

Nov. 12 2012 06:17 PM
Margaret Stenbar

please e-mail when the application is available.

Sep. 18 2012 06:30 PM
Tenny Hahn

Could you please let me know when I could get an application to an Apartment
Phone #: (718) 281-0025
Address: 221-58 59 Ave Oakland Gardens, NY 11364

Tenny

Aug. 31 2012 01:18 PM
Carmen Guzman from queens

i would like to know when the applications will be coming out and where can i get one. i would need two room one for me one for my son. i would hate to leave nyc just because i cannot no longer not afford to life anymore

Aug. 21 2012 02:35 PM
Helen Frimerman from Brooklyn, new York

Could you plase let me know where I can get an application to this lottery.

Helen
7186298430

Aug. 19 2012 01:34 AM
helen from Brooklyn, New York

I am a women in her 60 and I live in a walk up apartment and it is to hard for me to walk up and It is unsafe for me to live where I am at now could you please let me know when I could get an application to an apartment at 718-629-8430

Helen

Aug. 19 2012 01:31 AM
Karen from Queens

Plese inform me when and where I can get an application for this lottery asap.

Aug. 16 2012 10:54 AM
Michelle W. Israel-Barnes

Please notify me when the application period begins. Thank You.

Michelle W. Israel-Barnes
45-55 Pike Street #5F
New York, NY 10002

Aug. 12 2012 08:08 PM
Ismael velazquez from bronx, NY

please let me know when and where can I get an application for the lottery

Aug. 06 2012 08:36 PM
jay

how can I get an application for the "lottery is it available now? where can I apply?

Jul. 13 2012 11:49 PM
Angela Cash

I would like to know where i ca get a application and also please inform me when the applcation becomes available.

Jul. 13 2012 11:50 AM
Evette rivera from Queens

How do I obtain an application? I'm disable on Ssd and am in deir need for an affordable apartment. I'm on the verge of homelessness. I will like an areA in queens. My temporary address is 251 n 6th, Newark nj 07107 apt 2. I can be reach at 6464912703 or 6464912692.

Jul. 10 2012 01:33 PM
Vincent from Upper West sider

It really appears that "Hunters Point" is trying it's VERY best to be exclusive and NON inclusive...
I have tried to inquire about "Affordable Housing" and I find NOTHING, road blocks, smoke and mirrors...
I was "supposed" to be on a "waiting list" and email update as to whats going on and plans for affordable housing... I've heard ZERO...
IF you are listening HUNTERS POINT politicos...
I want IN... I will gather my troops and raise Cain for some answers...
The FIX is in... WAKE UP people!...
They will wall this area up and NO one gets in...
ORGANIZE!!!
Ms. Quinn I got votes... and plenty of them...
I am a born and raised NY'er (Bushwick bklyn).
20yr. upper westsider...
I'm paid in... I want answers to this "Mystery"... ...

Jun. 26 2012 09:45 PM
Deborah

I NEED TO KNOW WHEN THE APPLICATIONS FOR THE LOTTERY IS GIVEN OUT. HAVE BEEN HOMELESS FOR 2 YEARS AND NEED A PLACE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY.

Jun. 08 2012 06:29 PM
Flor Cordero from long island city

i live in the neighborhood and i would like some information on when will the applictions be coming out.

May. 14 2012 07:23 PM
lakeisha from SOUTH OZONE PARK, QUEENS

I WOULD LIKE TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN THE LOTTERY IS AVAILABLE.

Mar. 07 2012 11:31 PM
M.A. Bhuiyan from Astoria, NY 11106

I would like to get an application for the lottery please.

Mar. 03 2012 09:42 PM
Anna Raj from LIC/AStoria

I would like to buy apartament one bedrom.Currently I working for 10 years I have low to midle income.However I have hight education, but I work for social services. How I can get apartment in Hunter Points South without waiting list. I am in Michela housing in manhattan on waiting list 12 years, and stil have to wait I on't know how long yet. I need apartament with elevator due to my health condition in Astoria or Long island city.
I renedt and live in LIC/Astoria between Brodaway and 34Ave str. But I don't have elevator. i have alergy as sonn as possible.. Please advise .I work in LIC too.

Feb. 10 2012 02:39 PM
Glycel bordelies from open

I just would like to know how can I get in a mailing list ....

Feb. 02 2012 08:50 AM

Had the EPA been involved it would probably qualify as a Superfund Site. And yet so should the waterfront of Greenpoint/Williamsburg.
When it comes to NYC real estate, no location is too deadly. How do I sign up?

Jun. 20 2011 02:46 AM
MissingFoundatoinII from Queens

You got to be nuts living in the middle of one of the most toxic brownfields in the country - and even FEMA says its a matter of time before it gets flooded by a storm.

It should be a passive park.

Feb. 10 2011 02:40 PM
Mike from Manhattan

You can apply for the lottery through the website for the City's housing agency: http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/apartment/lotteries.shtml.

Feb. 10 2011 12:22 PM
get real from LIC

Come on people - this is a toxic brown field - not a place to raise kids.

It should be a passive parkland.

Beside, LIC doesn't have the infrastructure to support more development and many of the buidlings in other parts of the community stand all be empty.

Feb. 10 2011 11:07 AM
Jax from Brooklyn

Where and when can I get an application for the "lottery"?

Feb. 10 2011 10:36 AM
namik from Queens

Where one would apply for the "lottery" when it becomes available?

Feb. 10 2011 10:25 AM