Eugene Jarecki's Documentary "Reagan"

Monday, February 07, 2011

Filmmaker Eugene Jarecki talks about his documentary “Reagan,” which follows the 40th president’s rise from small-town lifeguard to revered architect of the modern world, and examines the man, the myth and his legacy.  “Reagan” debuts on HBO February 7 at 9 pm.

Eugene Jarecki

michael from manhattan

Reagan the Younger should have entitled his book "Milking My Father at 100." Can't wait for 110.... assuming he still needs the money then.
Thanks, Mr. Jarecki, for helping to expose the laughable Reagan myths.

Feb. 07 2011 12:58 PM

Reagan was a great communicator, personally I loathed his smarmy style, but seemingly it doesn't take his communication skills to convince poor people that it's in their interest to vote with Republicans, who will soon attempt to eliminate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Or cut it back beyond recognition. The Republicans talk about small business but care about BIG BUSINESS, and unfortunately Obama is joining the parade. My husband was in Moscow during Gorbachev as a guest of the America Institute. We were told by government officials that they could no longer afford the Afghan or Cold wars. Reagan's role in the fall of the wall is over estimated.

Feb. 07 2011 12:57 PM
frank

Amazing interview, thank you! Deborah Solomon's interview didnt even cant hold a match to this. I can't wait to see this film.

Feb. 07 2011 12:57 PM
Amy from Manhattan

What do Tea Partiers think about Reagan's visit to Bitburg?

Feb. 07 2011 12:57 PM
EVC from B'klyn

My understanding is that Nancy Reagan's father, an extremely conservative and powerful figure, had a big influence on RR.

Feb. 07 2011 12:53 PM
Carola from Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn

I must have a different ear from a lot of people. I couldn't even listen to Reagan because I was so turned off by the patent insincerity in his voice.

Feb. 07 2011 12:52 PM
CL from Neew York

This apotheosis of Ronald Reagan makes me want to vomit. I lived in California when he lorded it over that state, and I witnessed his smug destruction of ethical social policy when he occupied the White House. He was an utterly despicable man and a catspaw politician.

I wouldn't waste 2 minutes watching a documentary about him. As far as I'm concerned, he should be fixed to the ash pit of history.

Feb. 07 2011 12:49 PM
Ken from Soho

Ronald Reagan was an actor all his life; his last role (as President) was his worst.

Feb. 07 2011 12:47 PM
antonio from park slope

Wow, all this hoopla over someone who after locking the republican presidential nominee, gave a speech in philadelphia, mississippi about states right, a place just a few miles from a town associated with the 1964 murders of civil rights workers. How about busting the air traffic controller unions strike? I mean don't take a lefties word from the slope. Check out what green span said about Reagan "In 2003, Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, speaking on the legacy of Reagan
Perhaps the most important, and then highly controversial, domestic initiative was the firing of the air traffic controllers in August 1981. The President invoked the law that striking government employees forfeit their jobs, an action that unsettled those who cynically believed no President would ever uphold that law. President Reagan prevailed, as you know, but far more importantly his action gave weight to the legal right of private employers, previously not fully exercised, to use their own discretion to both hire and discharge workers."
I am sure everyone has covered the anti-AIDS stance his administration took. I am sorry but the a few of the callers seemed uninformed about Reagan true legacy.

Feb. 07 2011 12:41 PM
Ash in Chelsea

I keep hearing all the fuss on the radio about Reagan's 100th birthday. I thought he was 100 when he was President. :-)

Feb. 07 2011 12:05 PM
calif

Before you gush about Ronald Reagan do your research:

When Reagan was Gov of Calif he emptied the mental hospitals and closed some of them down. The mentally ill now fill the prisons and live on the streets. There was a reason those people were in mental health facilities, they could not function in society and they needed a safe place to live. Later president Reagan would cut aid for federally-funded community mental health programs.

During the years of Ronald Reagan national debt in the United States nearly tripled. The national debt of the United States had been on a slow incline since the beginning of the 1900s, it rose from $43 million in the 1940s to $930 million in 1980. During the Reagan years, however the debt increased to nearly $3 trillion, roughly three times as much as the first 80 years of the century had done altogether.

Reagan economics: The profit of big conglomerates comes before the welfare of the American people.

Ronald Reagan's policy on AIDS was SILENCE. SF Mayor Dianne Feinstein's AIDS budget for the City of San Francisco was bigger than President Reagan's AIDS budget was for the entire nation. Reagan's proposed federal budget for 1986 actually called for an 11 percent reduction in AIDS spending.
The disease that we now call AIDS was first identified 30 years ago in medical journals in 1981 -- President Reagan's first year in office. It quickly took hold in the media and in the national consciousness. Yet it wasn't until May 31, 1987 that President Reagan would give his first major address on AIDS, by that time, 21,000 Americans had already died from the disease.

Feb. 07 2011 12:01 PM