For cultures that follow the lunar calendar, today is New Year’s Day. Here in the U.S., many of us simply refer to it as Chinese New Year. But the truth is that communities in and from Vietnam, Korea, Mongolia, Tibet, and elsewhere have their own traditions and foods built around the day. Kelly Choi is the host of "Top Chef Masters" and is a Korean-American. She is personally acquainted with the Korean New Year, or “Seolnal,” as it’s often called. She shares her recipes for the celebration.
Recipes after the jump.
Serving Size 4
- 1 cup thin sliced Korean rice cake
- 1/2 pound Beef brisket, cut into chunks.
- 14 cups water
- 4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces beef, cut into thin strips
- 2 egg, beaten
- 2 sheets dried laver seaweed (Kim in Korean), crumbled
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soak and sliced thinly
- 8 ounces zucchini, cut into thin stripes
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- Soak the rice cake in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Put 14 cups of water and the brisket in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer until tender. (about 30mins)
- Strain out the beef and return the broth to the pot.
- Cut the beef into thin strips, then save for the garnish.
- Sauté shiitake mushrooms in the soy sauce, sesame oil, and minced garlic, then save for the garnish
- Sauté the Zucchini with sesame oil and salt, then save for the garnish.
- Fry beaten egg and sliced thinly, then save for the garnish (or pour the egg by little directly to the broth at the end)
- Bring to boil the broth and then add the rice cakes.
- Bring to a boil again, and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook until tender. (Usually rice cake will float when fully cook)
- Add the green onions.
- Put into bowls.Garnish each bowl with some beef, shiitake, zucchini, egg and some crumbled Kim. Serve.
Serving size 4
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 ounces uncooked cellophane noodles
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb sirloin beef, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of spinach, blanched
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- Soak mushrooms in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and cut into thin strips. Sauté the mushrooms with ½ teaspoon of sauce.
- Cook noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Mix sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, garlic, and pepper in a bowl.
- Add 1/3 of mixture to sirloin in another bowl; marinate for 10 minutes and sauté the beef, then set aside.
- Reserve the leftover of the mixture.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in skillet or wok over medium-high heat and saute carrot, and onions stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, then set aside
- Toss spinach with 1/2 tablespoon of the leftover mixture, then set aside.
- Fry beaten egg and sliced thinly, then set aside.
- Quickly stir fry noodles with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and remove from heat.
- Put all ingredients into the big mixing bowl and add the rest of the mixture, then mix well. Serve.
Serving size 4
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Asian pear, peeled, save only juice
- 1 1/2 lbs beef short ribs, bone-in
- 8 chestnuts, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 dried shiitake, soak for 20 minutes and drain
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, tossed, save for the garnish.
- Soak the rips for 30 minutes to remove blood. Drain the beef and score it.
- Mix together all ingredients except ribs, chestnuts, mushrooms, and carrots. Pour the marinade over the beef. Marinate for an hour.
- Pour the ribs and marinade into a large pot over high heat.
- When liquid comes to a full boil, cover the pot and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Cook for 1 hour to 90 minutes, until meat is tender. Add chestnuts, mushrooms and carrots about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Put into bowl and garnish with pine nuts. Serve.