John, The Tempeh Man

Monday, January 31, 2011

A couple of years ago, John Parker decided to build an incubator in his Brooklyn home to start making tempeh from scratch.

Since then, it has turned into a vocation. Parker spends literally dozens of hours a week cracking, boiling, inoculating and incubating to create his fermented soybean cakes. The hardest part is making sure his incubator doesn't overheat. "Sometimes I'm up all night checking on my little tempeh babies," he says.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Toby from Flat Rock NC

How warm is too warm when making Tempeh? My last batch got up to 117 degrees. But seems to be doing fine.

Apr. 09 2014 05:40 PM
jenny from minneapolis

i wish he was my neighbor!

Sep. 25 2012 01:16 PM
Diane from Westchester

Is anyone selling homemade tempeh? I love love love tempeh but don't know anywhere to get it homemade. Bet it's awesome!

Feb. 08 2012 11:07 AM
Jason Charette from Toronto

I'm coming to NYC the first week of December and a, hoping to connect with John Parker and/or the folks at Grown in Brooklyn (Barry's Tempeh) since there seems to be a mutual respect for each others tempeh. I've been making consistent small batches but want to start producing more. My contact information can be found at first(dot) last name(at)gmail

Oct. 31 2011 08:31 PM
Jack Collins from North Carolina

How thankful too have found this............thank you and blessings.
Please stay in touch!

Mar. 01 2011 12:01 PM

Hi!

@Anne, tempeh isn't alcoholic :)
@grown in Brooklyn, how do I get in touch? I'd love to meet you and talk tempeh.

John Parker

Feb. 04 2011 12:35 PM
Anne Wiley from Middletown NY

Verrrry interesting! How did it get it s name and where did you learn about it? If it is fermented, is it alcohlic? If so, are you bootleging?

Feb. 03 2011 07:34 PM
grown in brooklyn from Brooklyn

Hey we just started making fresh tempeh in Brooklyn. Using fresh beans and grains grown locally. It is the most wonderful tempeh you can't find anywhere (except maybe john). We are currently making sprouted oat - malted barley - soy tempeh, which is our favorite...get in touch

Feb. 02 2011 09:56 PM
salvatore principato from manhattan

nice one

i'm a big fan of tempeh
how can i try some John Parker?

Feb. 02 2011 04:40 PM
francyne from Bronx

Awesome. Now I need to look up tempeh, learn exactly what it is.

Feb. 02 2011 06:41 AM
Robert W. Smith

Great Story, great photography, great neighbor telling his great story. I look for more in the future. Thanks.

Feb. 01 2011 11:09 PM

Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.

Sponsored

About Know Your Neighbor

Know Your Neighbor is a video series about the characters, legends, and good folk living in your midst.

Nominate your neighbor: I'm looking to profile fascinating people in every corner of the city. Leave a comment or email jhsu@wnyc.org about someone you'd like me to profile, and I just may come to your 'hood to produce a video about their story.

Feeds