Pat Cooper on His Life in Comedy

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Comic Pat Cooper talks about his career in comedy and tells about his experiences working with stars such as George Burns, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Bobby Darin. His new memoir, How Dare You Say How Dare Me! discusses his Brooklyn roots, getting his big break on The Jackie Gleason Show, his inspirations, and his motivations.

Pat Cooper

Michael Caputo from miamibeach, fl.

- If you want to read more go to: DearPatCooper.com

Jul. 16 2014 02:19 AM
Jeff Strate from Eden Prairie, Minnsota

In a part of the country where Michele Bachmann is considered (by some) to be a defender of the American "way" and where whole milk is considered (by most) a spice, Leonard's talk with Pat Cooper has been an enjoyable cocktail of vinegar, onion and halitosis.

Jan. 28 2011 01:12 AM

Pat Cooper does have a right to his anger. However, does he need to keep using the media to express it? Pat Cooper for years has been the one to publically mock his family and make excuses for his actions. It's one thing to do it as part of his comedy act but as part of an interview....... it is just classless. If you truly listen, Pat Cooper has been the one casting judgment. Maybe he is the one who should get off the “insane judgment wagon" as you call it and finally accept responsibility for HIS part in it all.

Jan. 27 2011 05:52 PM
Cassie

To Ag from NJ...maybe you need to listen to that part again, and perhaps read a book his son wrote about his relationship with his father called "Dear Pat Cooper". I don't care what anyone says, the interview was so abrasive,and it seems like his shtick IS from his personal life! And as I said, at 80 something, you'd think a person would have mellowed by then!

Jan. 27 2011 03:01 PM
a g from n j

does it occur to anyone that some people's kids are so alienated from a spouse that "abandoning" is the default imposed choice. and maybe, he had more than a little to do with it,but i ask, whose interest and benefit is served by casting him as the bad guy. even people within a family, have distorted perception. how you all stand at a distance, and assume a posture of moral rectitude, is beyond me. if, there is, genuine anger there,does he, not unlike, any other human, have a right to it ? he did exist, before he got married and had children,did he not. so lets assume, that we can't ever fully know what happened back then, could you then, try and be reasoned,and get off the insane judgement wagon.

Jan. 27 2011 12:01 PM

As the saying goes.. "Many a truth is said in jest". Sorry to say it isn't all his "schtick".
Pat Cooper really is angry at the world. No matter what the situation you still don't abandon your children.

Jan. 27 2011 08:06 AM
a g from n j

very easy to denigrate someone,when you don't know their personal situation. he may very well, have been in an impossible marital situation.
as for the "anger" don't you see it's his schtick.
geez...............

Jan. 27 2011 12:01 AM
Cassie

I have to say that after many yrs of being a fan of Pat, this interview completly turned me off. Why at 80 something is he still so angry? I thought after that many yrs of being on this earth you've learned lessons and tend to mellow out a bit. And the bit about his family was attrocious! He admitted to the world that he just up and left his family, but then said he was rite around the corner trying to justify it? Sorry Pat, u lost my respect! Maybe its time to grow up at 80!

Jan. 26 2011 09:42 PM
ron from flushing

lenny my father grew up with Pat Copper on the streets he mentioned.Jellybeans my father says of Pat that he was a gentleman and would let the younger kids use his club for events.my father also mentioned he wasn't a wiseguy just a funny guy in a candy store.

Jan. 26 2011 08:48 PM

The title of Paul Simon's song describes it best....Still Crazy After All These Years! Sadly, Pat Cooper remains the same angry man he was his entire life. He is still making excuses for his inability to be a father to his bilogical children and for deserting his family.Once again he relentlessly professes his perceived life's persecutions. If you want the real story read his son's book Dear Pat Cooper, that is the only one that tells the truth.

Jan. 26 2011 05:19 PM
kat g from West Village

It was refreshing to hear someone who is so free that he doesn't need to hold anything back. After all the stilted showbiz "interviews" filled with answers that have been rehearsed with publicists, Pat Cooper was a real breath of fresh air.

Jan. 26 2011 04:17 PM
Paul J. Bosco from Manhattan

Re: Pat Cooper. Too bad you just couldn't draw him out....

Among the torrent of pebbles, there were a lot of pearls. "Comedians used to be like jazz musicians." Cooper himself spouts sheets of words, like Coltrane blew sheets of notes.

NIce to think that if I make it to 82, I will be able to say anything. Cooper seems liberated by not having to care.

I guess some of your listeners found Mr. Cooper too unlike a "typical Lopate guest".

--Paul J. Bosco
Manhattan

Jan. 26 2011 01:18 PM
Barbara Crafton from Metuchen, NJ

Who on earth was that man? I understand he's a comedian. I heard no evidence of that in this interview.

Jan. 26 2011 01:14 PM
Pierrot from New York City

That was excruciating....

The person who booked him should be docked a day's pay.

Jan. 26 2011 01:06 PM
Oy vey

Lenny's crack about Pat's daughter set me off searching for what that meant.

Here's an old Howard Stern interview with Pat and Pat's kids calling in.

Jan. 26 2011 01:05 PM
Julie from New York

I'm so stressed out listening to him, too! I can't stand the sound of his voice anymore! I had to turn it off!!!!

Jan. 26 2011 12:59 PM
Yeesh

Bippity boppity boop! And a bada bing! Heez a hyuman been! Don't trow me a bone, gimme a part I can sink my teet inta.

Jan. 26 2011 12:59 PM
Susan from glued to wnyc online

Wow...I'm going to need a nap after this! Leonard...thanks for one of the most unique interviews I have heard in a while. Love him or hate him, Pat Cooper has lived one heck of life.

Jan. 26 2011 12:58 PM
art525 from park slope

What an ass.

Jan. 26 2011 12:58 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Where's the funny??? What the hell? Does this guy go around this angry and nonsensical every day? I can hear the spittle from his mouth flying in the studio!

Get ready Leonard, this guy is going to drop dead of a heart attack any minute!

Jan. 26 2011 12:57 PM
hazy from brooklyn

oh come on everyone! it's a different style. be open. i think it's ok

Jan. 26 2011 12:56 PM
anne from long island

How dare you have Pat Cooper! (just kidding) Poor Leonard. Hang in!

Jan. 26 2011 12:56 PM
MP from Brooklyn

Pat was always unbearable when he was on Howard Stern, and he still is.

Jan. 26 2011 12:55 PM
Alex from Clinton Hill

This dude is a crack up.
(Surprising he has so many enemies in show business...)

Hey, Lenny, tell the Jerry Lewis story!

Jan. 26 2011 12:54 PM
Phew part II

Where was Pat born and what is that accent? Brooklyn?

Jan. 26 2011 12:53 PM
Sam from NJ

He's considered a comedian?!? Uhm, I don't get it...

Jan. 26 2011 12:53 PM
julia

Mr.Cooper sounds a tiny bit hysterical and strident. It's hard to hear the content through the shouting.

Jan. 26 2011 12:52 PM
W.L Towery from jersey city

What an abrasive jerk...another example of an idiot who sez everything that pops into his head.

Jan. 26 2011 12:52 PM
Theresa from Brooklyn

This is one of the most bat**** things I have ever heard. BTW, what is wrong with eating macaroni? ;)

Jan. 26 2011 12:51 PM
Phew

Pat is funny, but exhausting.

Jan. 26 2011 12:50 PM
Theresa

WTF!!!????

Jan. 26 2011 12:50 PM
W.L Towery from jersey city

Jan. 26 2011 12:50 PM

I've met Pat Cooper and he's an even angrier jerk in person than he is on radio. This is not an act.

Jan. 26 2011 12:49 PM
Sam from NJ

Good grief. Is he as scary in person as he is over the air?

Jan. 26 2011 12:48 PM
michael from manhattan

LoL have ALWAYS loved ya, but: angry much, Pat?? Lenny, you should put him on with the delightful Jerry Lewis. But stand back.

Jan. 26 2011 12:48 PM
Mosley from Brooklyn

Thank God for the mute button.

Jan. 26 2011 12:47 PM
Derek

HOLD ON, Leonard!!!!

Jan. 26 2011 12:47 PM
Fafa from Harlemworld

HILARIOUS. Keeping it real, huh? Love it.

Jan. 26 2011 12:46 PM
Beatrice from New York

Ack. He's stressing me out just listening to him!

Jan. 26 2011 12:46 PM