Martin Luther King Day Gospel

Monday, January 17, 2011

Leonard hosts his annual Martin Luther King Day gospel hour.

Playlist:
“Golden Gate Gospel Train,” Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet
“We Shall Overcome,” Marion Williams
“I’ll Be All Right,” Angelic Gospel Singers
“An Earnest Prayer,” Morgan Babb with The Radio Four
“Walk Through the Valley,” Madame Edna Gallmon Cooke with The Radio Four
“Everybody’s Gonna Have a Wonderful Time,” Sister Rosetta Tharpe with Dependable Boys
“Where Could I Go,” Madame Ernestine Washington with Bunk Johnson’s Jazz Band
“I’ll Be Satisfied Then,” Sister Jessie Mae Renfro
“Satisfied,” Eugene Smith with The Roberta Martin Singers
“Precious Memories,” Norsalus McKissick with Roberta Martin Singers
“Poor Pilgrim of Sorrow,” J. Robert Bradley
“Touch the Hem of His Garment,” Sam Cooke with Soul Stirrers
“Jesus Be My Keeper,” Cecil Shaw with the Silverstone Singers
“Standing at the Judgment,” Julius Cheeks with the Sensational Nightingales
“Mahalia Moans,” Mahalia Jackson
“Good News, Marion Williams with Ward Singers
“Give Me My Flowers,” The Consolers
“God Be With You,” J. Earle Hines with St. Paul’s Baptist Church Choir

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Ozier Muhammad from Harlem

Thank you so much Leonard. I haven't been a fan of gospel music, but this wonderful yearly tribute to Dr. King changed that many years ago when I started listening to your show. I use to be frustrated by the difficulties of buying the music once I heard. Not anymore. I can now go to iTunes and find most of the songs you play.

Bless you.

Ozier

Jan. 16 2012 04:58 PM
chester from MADISONVILLE,KY

THANK YOU LEONARD, FOR PLAYING MORGAN BABB THE RADIO FOUR, ONE OF THEM IS MY GRANDFATHER, IVE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT THEM AND LISTENING TO THEM, MORGAN BABB IS MY GREAT UNCLE, AGAIN THANK YOU.

Sep. 16 2011 01:03 AM
dboyy from nyc

This was GREAT!

Jan. 19 2011 02:03 PM

Thank you, Lenny for this riveting gospel selection. Soon after arriving in NYC in the late 1970s, I discovered your weekly gospel music show on WBAI. I'm so grateful that you do this yearly tribute (15th, wow!). Since first hearing this music in Argentina as a kid, my Jewishy atheist spirit dances and soars to the melodic praises to God and Jesus.

Jan. 17 2011 11:30 PM
Mike from Inwood

I agree with William. If you're truly interested in expanding your listeners' horizons, post the CD title, artist, label, and catalog number. Perhaps even an amazon link if one exists.

Jan. 17 2011 02:02 PM
Carol Cohen from NJ

What a terrific tribute on MLK day- I lived through the civil rights period and found the music beautiful and stirring- We still have a long way to go

Jan. 17 2011 01:35 PM
Frances from Brooklyn

Thank you for this grand soulful gospel show.

Jan. 17 2011 01:12 PM
Jane from Westchester

Thank you. Perhaps it would help to heal our country if we learned to listen and to sing more, and to talk a bit less.

Jan. 17 2011 12:59 PM
William

Great music Leonard and thanks for the playlist...any chance you can post the album names the cuts are from?

Many thanks!

Jan. 17 2011 12:41 PM
A listener from Brooklyn

I know we're supposed to be honoring Dr. King, but seriously, this is just boring. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd play my own records or tune in to a different station.

Next year, no hours please.

Jan. 17 2011 12:26 PM
Richard from New York City

Lenny, I've been listening to your glorious gospel shows from back in the WBAI days.

This annual honoring of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for his birthday cuts through all that is wrong with this world.

Thanks so much.

Jan. 17 2011 12:18 PM
A listener

Leonard -

Thanks again, and always, for these gospel treats.

Jan. 17 2011 12:05 PM
Ed from Larchmont

One has to say that the people who wrote and sang these songs didn't regard them primarily as music, but prayer to God. They were sung at church.

Jan. 17 2011 10:47 AM