Following Up: Baby Boom vs. War Boom

Friday, January 07, 2011

Jim Von Schilling, professor of English and humanities at Northampton Community College and the Baby Boomer Area chair for the Popular Culture Association, compares the lives of postwar baby boomers to those of a lesser-known "War Years" boom—the millions who were born during World War II. Plus, how some people misuse the phrase "Kabuki Theater."

Jim Von Schilling
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

mw from Brooklyn

Thanks for finally acknowledging our existence and all of our contributions.

Jan. 07 2011 07:05 PM
Robin Brancato from Fort Lee, NJ

This is a personal hello to Jim from an old-time mentor and friend. I loved hearing what you had to say today and hope to be in touch.

Jan. 07 2011 12:51 PM
margo from manhattan

I was born in 1941. On the show Brian wondered why did the birth rate go up during the war? My mother told me that my father wanted to leave a child in the world in case he did not return. During the war, I remember a Bronx neighborhood without father's.Later, all these men in uniform's materialized on the streets. In other words our generation of war children, spent their early years without fathers.
I remember the day I first saw my father after the war. He showed up at my nursery school and the nursery teacher told me to go run over to the soldier because he was my father. But I recall being scared of him. As it turned out, he never really did come home, and my parents divorced.

Jan. 07 2011 12:02 PM
MMN from Midtown

I was born in `64 and am on the other end of the spectrum. My cousin insists I'm a thirteener. More a boomer than an Xer but not really either, perhapse a thirteener I be. Anyone else with me on this?

Jan. 07 2011 11:58 AM
cheryl

i am feeling so left out....i was born in 1944...what am i called?

Jan. 07 2011 11:49 AM
superf88

Reading through National Geographics of the early 1930s (yes I had that kind of time over the holidays, in the middle of the woods during a snowstorm!)... I came across a fascinating article glorifying the up and coming industry of "industrially produced food."

Producing massive amounts of cheap food was to the 30s and 40s what the internet is today, that was my conclusion after reading this article.

It is only logical that an increase in the size of the population was one result.

Jan. 07 2011 11:45 AM
Katherine Jackson

Both Bob Dylan and John Lennon were war babies!

Jan. 07 2011 11:41 AM
Linda from East Village

We war babies are less conforming, less sheep-like, than the Boomers. I'd argue that we tend to be trendsetters--think of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones--whereas the Boomers are followers.

Jan. 07 2011 11:40 AM