Experiment: You Introduce The Brian Lehrer Show

Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:00 PM

We here at The Brian Lehrer Show are trying a little experiment and need your help! We want as many diverse voices as possible to introduce the program at the beginning of each hour. For now we’re gathering the tape, though we may eventually use it on air. If you’d like to participate, make sure you read the disclaimer below, then follow these simple instructions.

1) Before you record your line, please tell us your name, where you’re from, and your phone number.

2) Then, recite one of these three lines into the machine. Practice a little before you pick up the phone to dial!

This is the Brian Lehrer Show, on 93 point 9 F-M and A-M 8 Twenty, WNYC

This is the Brian Lehrer Show, on 93 point 9 F-M and A-M
8 Twenty, WNYC, and online, at WNYC dot ORG

Welcome back to the Brian Lehrer Show, on 93 point 9 F-M and   A-M 8 Twenty, WNYC, and WNYC dot ORG

Some tips for recording (this is what we tell our guests on the show)

- If possible, call from a landline phone
- Don't use a headset or speakerphone
- Find the quietest room you can
- Hold the mouthpiece an inch or two from your mouth; too close and it will distort; too far and it'll echo
- Be conversational. Smile. Show us your personality, but no need to ham it up.
- Feel free to use your hands as you talk. We know, it's radio - but it works.
- If you mess up, don’t worry. You can always just do multiple takes (within reason!)

Disclaimer: By leaving my message for this project I understand that my voice may be used by New York Public Radio on-air and online during shows, promos, and other programming.

Okay, ready to participate? Here's the number to call: 1-800-543-2543

Good luck, and thanks!

More in:

Jane Mann from Fanwood, NJ

I'm thrilled at this opportunity, as I was a broadcaster for the NYSE forty-five years ago. I'm afraid my voice really shows my age and a cold, but it was fun. Thanks.

Jan. 12 2011 04:02 PM
Bruce Armstrong from Flushing, Queens

Wish I'd seen this sooner; I may have a snow day tomorrow, and won't be near a land line. I
I'm charmed by the instruction "Feel free to use your hands as you talk. We know, it's radio - but it works." That's so true. I once attended a lecture by the renowned Uta Hagen, who ridiculed actors who gestured while portraying someone talking on the phone. "It's absurd. The person they're talking to can't see them." I thought at the time she was substituting logic for observation. Many people gesticulate when on the phone, as anyone who's suffered through someone else's cell phone argument can attest.

The power of gesture to "naturalize" someone's voice and connect them to what they're expressing is evident to me at work, where there's often a eureka moment for my ESL students when they start talking with their hands, helping along their intonation in a strange new language.

Jan. 12 2011 01:43 AM

When do we find out if our recording was selected?

Just curious. And impatient.

Jan. 10 2011 04:28 PM

Jasia-
Sorry to say, all we have is a 1800 number. Maybe you'll have to find a stateside surrogate to record on your behalf?

NeoAmsterdam/Edward - yes, we want as many people as possible to participate and, actually, want a bit of that phone sound quality. As for managing on the backend, google voice makes it very very easy.

Thanks to everyone for participating. Keep 'em coming. Not sure if this'll come to fruition on air, but we'll be posting some of our favorites online soon regardless!

Jan. 07 2011 11:58 AM
Edward from NJ

@NeoAmsterdam, audio files would exclude a lot of listeners who don't have the proper technology to create them. Since many of the guests appear via phone, landline audio quality should be totally acceptable. I'm certain the BL show has an automated system for pulling audio from their voicemail system and managing it.

Just a thought as to what they were thinking.

Jan. 07 2011 11:38 AM

How about submitting MP3s, Oggs, AIFFs, WAVs, or AACs instead of calling over a POTS? The audio quality would be better, you'd have a more room for creativity, and - let's be honest - it'd be easier to organize and manage on the backend.

Just a thought...

Jan. 07 2011 10:09 AM
Jasia

Dang. I would so love to do this. Do You have a non-toll-free number? Can't call that one from overseas....

Jan. 06 2011 01:59 PM