Wayne Barrett Leaves the Voice

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Legendary columnist and muckraker Wayne Barrett announced yesterday that he's leaving the Village Voice after 32 years. He discusses his career in investigative journalism and what's next for him as well as New York.

Wayne Barrett

Another now ex-Voice reader from NYC

Wayne Barrett is infinitely too good for the Voice under its new Arizona management disgrace. Do they honestly think saying they fired him for "budgetary reasons" is the slightest bit believable? (I'm loving Voice editor Tony Ortega's nonsensical damage control all over the internet - massive fail.) I'm guessing their stupid blog sh*t kid writers aren't going to face the axe though? The Voice 2.0 has outed itself for good with this unbelievable idiocy and scumbaggery.

Jan. 05 2011 12:31 PM
Susan from NYC

What a profound loss--not just to the Voice, but to the city as a whole. I hope this isn't the last we will hear from Wayne Barrett, whose brave, smart reporting has provided unique insights into the city and state.

Jan. 05 2011 12:02 PM
susy from manhattan

when I was 30, I lost a job suddenly. I couldn't believe how many people came out of the woodwork to let me know I had inspired them, along the way.

It was nice to hear someone call in and mention Wayne had inspired him. I'm sure he will not be the last who tells him that. Thanks!

Jan. 05 2011 11:59 AM
JLS

If possible, please discuss Wayne's plans at the Nation Institute

Jan. 05 2011 11:45 AM
Andy B. from New York City

I am pleased to hear from Mr. Barrett that Tom Robbins is losing his job, after seeing his last column where he praised David Patterson for pardoning the murderer of Daniel Cicciaro.

It was a racially motivated murder, and a racially motivated pardon- Robbins called it an accident, which he never would have done if the races of the parties were reversed.

In fact, if the races were reversed, Robbins would have wrote that the pardon was an outrage.

Jan. 05 2011 11:40 AM
bernie from bklyn

how does barrett feel about the predominance of the use of "crowd sourcing" as brian loves to do. do you consider this journalism? is this a bad road to go down?
should people who consider themselves journalists do things like read tweets from listeners and viewers on the air or in print?

Jan. 05 2011 11:36 AM
The hookers aren't buying ad space?

Why do they have to lay Wayne off-- hookers aren't buying the ad space in the back anymore?

Jan. 05 2011 11:33 AM
phil

Some years ago I was angered by how shabbily Voice icon Jules Fieffer had been treated by that publication. A former longtime reader, I never picked up another issue again. Now history repeats itself. Shameful!

Jan. 05 2011 11:11 AM