Roseanne Barr on Roseannearchy

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

TV star Roseanne Barr offers her observations on hypocrisy, hubris, and modern life. Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm discusses the humor of everyday life with musings on more serious topics, such as class warfare, feminism, the cult of celebrity, and Kabbalah.

Roseanne Barr

Barry minniefield from palm springs ca

Rosanne Barr, is a great And brilliant comedian, writer , and producer. And a Great friend to me for over 20 years! I love you Rosey stay safe!!!!

Jan. 07 2011 11:49 PM
Loren from CT

When Roseanne was at the height of her fame, Fairway had a huge billboard on the West Side Highway that said "More Food Than Even Roseanne Can Handle" Even as a child, the level of that insult was palatable and upset me every time I saw it. There are some people who seem to have visited this board to air their longstanding grudges and self righteous(not patriotic) outrage, but I feel for a woman who was often disrespected and derided during a time that she should have been more respected and praised for her writing and groundbreaking television program. So many people are forgiven and kept in the spotlight because they're entertaining in some way or play a sport well, but I think people find it easier to dismiss her and, in turn, she has bristled and grown defensive about that- which I find understandable.

Jan. 05 2011 11:01 AM
simona from Lubbock,tx

I wasn't lucky enough to see the show with rosie on it but i support her in anything she does. Her show was the only one even remotely close to being a real family. She reminded me of my mom. When all the other kids were ashamed of their mothers's i wasn't, rosie should me it was ok for my mom to be herself. She provided those busy parents like mine with the laugh and stress relief that they needed after a hard days work. Rosie keep up the good work and i hope that one day you will bring back a show with a mother like u were on your show. Maybe you could be the mother of the mother on the show and add some of you original jokes and some of that good ol' Rosie humor. Thanx for the years of laughs and i hope you keep them coming for more years to come. We need you back on the screen.

Jan. 05 2011 06:34 AM
Jaffe from The Isle of Manhatta

Today is Leonard's salute to mediocrity in comedy.
First, The Very Important Late Night Wars and now this talentless loudmouth, slob.

Oh wait! I guess she really DOES have something to say after all: I have a new book to sell.

Jan. 05 2011 01:10 AM
candonyc from Brooklyn

After everything she achieved you are still yapping about the anthem thing? Get a life. I bet the same gripers still hate Jane Fonda for the gun picture too - so sad. Move on.

Jan. 04 2011 03:16 PM
Amy from Brooklyn

Ooh, Tom wants an off-topic flame war.

Listen, I have to modify my previous post of annoyance with Leonard. I got the feeling that any negative comment to Roseanne would just have made her more immaturely defensive than she was already.

And there is a point between saying that she deserves death threats (anti-semitic? raise your hand if you knew she was jewish) and feeling in the least bit bad that she lost opportunities because of her own behavior. She shot herself in the foot. No one did it for her.

I remember the incident and didn't care about it at the time. What gets me now and maybe some of the rest of you is that she turned her own error into an occasion to be a victim. Be slightly responsible for yourself. Take just a little blame for the predictable controversy. Don't wave around freedom of speech for yourself and cry foul when others speak against you.

Jan. 04 2011 02:22 PM
Tom

John from office: why do veterans always think having served in the military somehow validates or makes their opinions more important? I just don't get the presumption of credibility based o the simple fact of military service.

Jan. 04 2011 02:06 PM
NJEve from NJ

I don't agree with Roseanne about Mary Tyler Moore, Lucy, and Marlo representing blue collar workers. Lucy's hubby was a big band leader, Mary was a housewife and then a career woman, and Marlo a single career woman, if I recall. The only family ever to tell it like it is was the Connor family! Loved the show and love Roseanne and all she represents. Keep up the great work, Ro!

Jan. 04 2011 02:04 PM
Peter C from Paramus

Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't she grab her crotch area at the end of the song?

Jan. 04 2011 02:02 PM
Amy from Brooklyn

Leonard -
Thanks for reading from all the positive comments and not alluding to the negative ones. What, are you auditioning for the pitcher spot on the WNYC softball team?
One notch down on the Respect-O-Meter from me.

Jan. 04 2011 02:00 PM
Amy from Manhattan

DarkSymbolist, you basically said what I was going to in my next comment, so I'll just second you & say thanks.

Jan. 04 2011 02:00 PM
Tom

Wow, what an absolute waste of time. Was there any particular reason to have Roseann Barr as a guest? She has nothing to talk about other than herself, and she just is not interesting.

Jan. 04 2011 02:00 PM
chris from CT

Chris from CT again: Thx for reading my comment (I and a 'she' by the way..how could u know?) I meant to send along the link to the comedy webseries in which I star called The Louise Log, now in its 2nd season. I began acting late in life (40+) and Roseanne was (and continues to be) one of my biggest inspirations! http://thelouiselog.com/?page_id=32

Jan. 04 2011 01:59 PM

I was at a taping of Inside the Actors studio at the New School when Roseanne Barr gave an incredibly heartfelt interview. I hope some of the stories that didn't make the final cut for the show are included in her new book. She is brilliant-- she may not please everyone, but she definitely provokes thought.

Jan. 04 2011 01:59 PM
CC

S Block hit the nail on the head.

Grabbing your crotch & spitting at the last "note" is no musical mistake. No sympathy here--less actually for the stupid excuses.

Jan. 04 2011 01:58 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Opera singers? The Star-Spangled Banner was written to the tune of a drinking song! (Some people have said you have to be drunk to think you can sing it...the original song is "To Anacreon in Heaven.") And actually, there are 4 verses--I'm not sure which one Ms. Barr is talking about.

Jan. 04 2011 01:58 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Wow....

She's not a "narcissist" for making a joke that didn't work and mentioning that the reaction to it was WAAAAAAYYYYY overblown (death threats??? Really? You're defending that...?)

Whether it was intended as a joke or was the way she described it, to threaten her and her family over it is just plain ridiculous, and mind you threatening her in reaction to that incident, calling her a traitor, etc,etc flies in the face of what this country is supposed to be about!!!

And no we don't need an explanation to her comment about getting anti-semitic death threats; no it doesn't lose it's meaning because she didn't explain it in detail...we all have a brain and can figure it out.

Jan. 04 2011 01:58 PM
Amy from Brooklyn

No pity on the national anthem. It's one thing to screw up, but it's another to be a self-righteous, self-pitying a** about screwing up. Roseanne, your excuses are childish.

She made a nasty joke of the song and that was disrespectful and rude to everyone there. Did she ever say she was sorry?

Jan. 04 2011 01:53 PM
Maude from park slope

she's brilliant. What does she think of Sarah SIlverman (please tell me she loves her)
tell her to go to
thistle hill in Park Slope delicious food

Jan. 04 2011 01:53 PM
Maude

she's briliant. What does she think of Sarah SIlverman (also brilliant, I think)
tell her to go to
thistle hill in Park Slope delicious food

Jan. 04 2011 01:51 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I appreciated the episode that had DJ (yike--I'm not sure I'm remembering the son's name right!) not wanting to be in a play w/a black classmate (maybe he was supposed to kiss her in 1 scene?) & the way it dealt w/racism & assumptions of racism. The scene where the girl's father comes to the restaurant was written & played so neither he nor Roseanne is wrong & the feelings of both are justifiable. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen often on TV.

Jan. 04 2011 01:51 PM
john from Office

Len, I served my country and flag, and I have nephews serving now in the Marines. You find her version of the National Anthem funny. It is a disgrace, somethings are important and sacred. IT IS NOT FUNNY.

Jan. 04 2011 01:48 PM
Joan

One of the best interviews on Lopate!

Jan. 04 2011 01:48 PM
Darya from NYC

these days, you can't just say you were a victim of antisemitism and not explain it - that accusation is thrown around so much that it has lost its meaning - it's a serious thing and it is used flippantly like Roseanne Barr just did on your show.... either don't accuse or explain...

Jan. 04 2011 01:48 PM
S Block from NYC

she's a narcissist. If you make a stupid joke and it doesn't work, you say you are sorry.

The national anthem incident was a comedic mistake. She tried a juvenile joke, it flopped.

You don't go on the radio years later and complain that you were mistreated for a "musical mistake" (ha). You say, "yeah, I made a mistake, I misjudged..." etc.

Narcissist.

And the WNYC hosts are celebs themselves now, so instead of pushing a little, we get commiseration.

Jan. 04 2011 01:47 PM
dan from columbia

get her to sing it!

Jan. 04 2011 01:47 PM
Melissa from Ridgewood, NJ

Based on this interview, I'm a Roseanne Barr fan! Loved her comment about Sarah Palin.

Jan. 04 2011 01:47 PM
dan from columbia

get her to sing it!

Jan. 04 2011 01:46 PM
Heidi from Fort Greene, Brooklyn

I have an idea for the hogs in Hawaii. Get a dog. In particular, American Bulldogs are great hog catchers. Not only will the hogs not bother your property, but you might even get a meal once in a while.

Jan. 04 2011 01:46 PM
Fuva from Harlem

"Roseanne" was an EXCELLENT show. Clever, real, raw, insightful, groundbreaking, superbly performed. Classic...Please thank her.

Jan. 04 2011 01:45 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

"Roseanne" was a fabulous show--too bad there aren't more like it!

Jan. 04 2011 01:45 PM
Chris from CT

Roseanne Barr is brilliant creative force, whose consciousness, heart and humor still keeps me watching late night Roseanne-a-thons at 45 years old. When people ask me who I my heroes are, who I aspire to be like or who I'd like to have for dinner, my answer is Roseanne Barr. It is wonderful to hear you speak today! Happy New Year, Rosie!

Jan. 04 2011 01:40 PM
Fuva from Harlem

"Roseanne" was an EXCELLENT show. Clever, real, raw, groundbreaking, superbly performed. Classic.

Jan. 04 2011 01:39 PM
Eric from Manhattan

Can you please ask her to explain the national anthem debacle?

Jan. 04 2011 01:30 PM
Sara from LES

I'm a huge fan! A while back I heard Roseanne was going to appear in film version of Sondheim's "Into the Woods" musical. Can she she tells us about that?

Jan. 04 2011 01:25 PM
Sandra from Astoria

Please tell Roseanne Barr that she is truly a hero to me. Her show meant so much to me growing up (and still does)--it was the only accurate portrayal on TV of my own working-class background. I still find it painful to watch the episode where Becky discovers that her parents couldn't afford to send her to college--I had that same conversation with my own parents.

And the show was a great representation of the white working-class LEFT! We DO exist, ya know--we don't all watch wrestling and vote Republican.

Jan. 04 2011 12:52 PM