Celebrating New Year's Eve on the Cheap

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Karen Page and  Andrew Dornenburg, wine columnists for The Washington Post from 2007 to 2008, and authors of The Flavor Bible and What to Drink with What You Eat, talk about ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve on a budget without sacrificing taste.

Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Nadeen from Syosset

Thanks Timothy for the suggestion! I'll give a try...

Dec. 30 2010 12:59 AM
Timothy from Forest Hills

In response to Nadeen's request, she probably drank a kir royale--a tablespoon of creme de cassis in a glass of champagne. And it IS delicious!

Dec. 29 2010 02:05 PM
jackie from long island

Don't forget android and blackberry smartphone users. We love wine too.

Dec. 29 2010 01:55 PM
Nehemiah from Harlem

Though I'm only 28 - I'm over the drunken subway rides and just not interested in parties (maybe because I'm single). I'll probably stay home and call my immediate family at the stroke of midnight. (They are in Mississippi so, I have to wait til 1am in NY). I like to get up early on January 1st and get a head start on the year (sans hangover.)

Dec. 29 2010 01:52 PM
Liz from Brooklyn

Wine that's kosher for Passover doesn't contain yeast, but I don't know if it's available all year round.

Dec. 29 2010 01:49 PM
Susan Anderson from Manhattan

I plan to go to the free Peace concert at St. John the Divine at 7pm on the 31st. The concert finishes around 9pm so there is time to go to dinner or a party.

Dec. 29 2010 01:42 PM
Nadeen from Syosset

Once I was in eastern France, I was served a champagne with a marvelous red liquor that had a fruit flavor. Do you have any suggestions on what kind of liquor can be used with champagne?

Dec. 29 2010 01:40 PM
Robert from Manhattan

Leonard just quoted the woman in Minnesota who said she doesn't know what life would be without Morning Edition. Has anyone ever said that about the Chaseaway? Except for those with a financial connection, I can't imagine. So why does WNYC spend millions to compete with itself when it already airs the best show on radio? Whenever I contribute (and I still do, to a point), I hold back given the evidence that if you weren't so flush you wouldn't be able to waste the money you do on the Chaseaway.

Dec. 29 2010 01:40 PM
CynthiaNYC from Manhattan

Our New Year's plan:
Crabmeat with fresh linguine, olive oil, garlic, pepperoncini, paired with Champagne. Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg are most welcome to join us!

Dec. 29 2010 01:36 PM
ginny from bronx,ny

for a less expensive non alcoholic drink,we use seltzer with any variety of juices- pomegranate, pear, etc...no need to buy Fizzy Izzy or anything else

Dec. 29 2010 01:26 PM
Jack from NYC

WHat is the best way to store sparkling wine?

Dec. 29 2010 01:20 PM
Nathanael

The most recent freakonomics radio was all about whether we can really tell the difference between cheap and expensive wine. You can't. Even experts had difficulty. Even if the wine is the same, you start to find reasons that the more expensive wine is better.

Dec. 29 2010 01:17 PM
Upper West Sider from UWS

Stay home and watch "It's a Wonderful Life."
Cook a nice dinner together.
Count your blessings.