Gerard Lordahl on Caring for Plants

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gerard Lordahl, Greening Director of GrowNYC, discusses how to take care of plants in the winter, both outside and inside—from how to keep your Christmas trees and poinsettias healthy, to winter tips for houseplants and gardens.

Gerard Lordahl

Jeff from Brooklyn, NY

You said that you could bring a potted Christmas tree into the house if you prepare a hole before the frost.
What about watering the newly planted tree at temps below freezing?

Dec. 23 2010 12:42 PM
Michelle from Brooklyn

What's the best way to care for hydrangea? Is there a soil balance that needs to be achieved for maximum blooming to occur?

Thanks!

Dec. 23 2010 12:36 PM
Steve Pollock from Long Island - Oyster Bay

Hardy Mums: How best to protect them over the winter and, when and how much to prune back.
Tks, Steve

Dec. 23 2010 12:36 PM
Ricardo from Manhattan

When is it a good time to prune a large wisteria that is growing on the roof of my building? It hasn't been pruned for at least 4 years. Thanks.

Dec. 23 2010 12:35 PM
Peter from Huntington

During this past hot, humid summer, a couple of my potted plants developed a carpet of whitish thick coating that I assume is some type of fungus. Can I just scrape it off or should I repot completely?

Dec. 23 2010 12:34 PM
Joel from Westchester

I use the "juice" form a compost pot to add to my water for my house plants. Is this good? (The solids I compost in a plastic compost bin.)

Dec. 23 2010 12:33 PM
Michelle from Brooklyn

Hi - I have a backyard in Brooklyn that's wonderful except for the vicious asian tiger mosquitoes it's plagued with in the summer! The backyards of the entire block is covered in ivy; does this form a good habitat for the mosquitoes? Are there other plants that might repel them? Help please!

Dec. 23 2010 12:28 PM
laura from brooklyn

i have a hibiscus plant that goes outside in the warm season and i bring in during winter. it had only a couple of flowers this past summer but i admit i haven't fertilized it since getting it 2 years ago. with fertilizer, would it be able to bloom in the warm home during this winter?

Dec. 23 2010 12:27 PM
matthew wilkes from Brooklyn, NY

Leonard,
Though your guest may have discouraged you from having a live evergreen tree on your terrace, in talking about the difficulty frozen ground presents in transplanting a tree, he did not actually answer your question about whether it is possible to keep an evergreen alive in a pot on a terrace, and that would be useful to know.

Dec. 23 2010 12:23 PM
lauren from vermont

i live in vermont- it's dark during the winter months, plus my home is north facing and doesn't get a lot of sun. what is a the best artificial light source for indoor plants?

Dec. 23 2010 12:23 PM
Christopher from brooklyn

My jade plant appears to be infected with a fungus; tiny dots of white fuzz grow at the joints of the leaves and if not removed regularly (a tedious process), eventually kill that leaf. When rubbed off it comes off in long, wispy tendrils.This fuzz appears to be spreading to some of my other plants now that my windows are closed, though not as severely. How do I kill that stuff?

Dec. 23 2010 12:17 PM
Sheryl

Do Jewish people in NYC have Christmas trees? I thought you were Jewish.

Dec. 23 2010 12:16 PM
Michael from Manhattan

Hi, how can I keep wheat grass growing? It always dies after a couple of weeks (I'm using it for decoration, not for juice).

Dec. 23 2010 12:15 PM
pamela from Manhattan

My Christmas cactus must have figured out we're Jewish and has refused to bloom. Is there anything I can do to change its mind?

Dec. 23 2010 12:14 PM