Entrepreneurs: Age Matters

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Brian Lehrer Show producer Jody Avirgan discusses some of the posts coming into the Rut Or Recovery project from listeners striking out on their own to start a business. Then, Annie Lowrey, reporter on economics and business for Slate, explains why old people make better entrepreneurs than young ones.

Jody Avirgan and Annie Lowrey

Nanette in Brooklyn from Brooklyn

Wonderful show on entrepreneurship!

Passion is the fire - boldness of action is the entrepreneurial spirit in action. As a seasoned entrepreneur, I do feel my practical experience supports my continued success in a competitive market, but there is incredible, fabulous energy in new entrepreneurship in our town - Happy Holidays - TY Brian and Co. for a great job!

Dec. 21 2010 12:56 PM
Greg caulfield from Nyc

I am Bissau owner , family Bissau and a web company . I work with family since I was 10. I have now wife. It better.

Dec. 21 2010 12:14 PM
J

I really have to object to that last caller's claim that younger people are better at learning.

I returned to school for an MS as a much older woman and found that focusing and learning is a much easier process than it was when I was college-age. Neuronal plasticity is not something we know enough about to be making sweeping generalizations about it.

Dec. 21 2010 11:53 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Volunteer work is also experience! People can learn a lot by volunteering, & many move from there to paid work in the same field.

Dec. 21 2010 11:52 AM
susy from Manhattan

I am also surprised that we're focused so much on technology...

There are MANY other types of business out there, you know - Fashion, Service, Food... many other opportunities, for anyone creative enough to take advantage of those opportunities.

And, technology serves all ages, for example...hospitals, elder-care, helping people get and stay in better touch... those are not age-specific.

Therefore, there are many markets - not just kids interested in social networking.

The trick is, using your age to relate to your audience, to connect with them, and stay connected.

Dec. 21 2010 11:48 AM
Evan Cardona from blauvelt, NEW YORK

So I have the best of both worlds going on since my father and I are starting a production company together. I he has the Capital and I have the energy and net know how. I graduated last year and have been working three jobs and he was forced into retirement due to illness a few years back. But onwards and upwards.

Dec. 21 2010 11:47 AM
Geralyn from Weehawken

Left my job in 2005 to embark on my own venture. Then the recession hit. That combined with the fact that I really didn't know much about being a business, like tax implications, insurance, creating a business plan, marketing, etc., outweighed my over-20 years experience as a media producer for cultural institutions. I think being older and experienced and wanting a career changed just screams "start your own business". But I would caution everyone to take advantage of all the services out there, many of them free, that will prepare you to get a plan, start a business and hopefully have it succeed.

Dec. 21 2010 11:45 AM
Howard Love from NYC

Started my own business & employed 50+ people. That lasted 31 years & ended 5 years ago due to outsourcing. My resources and energy is not there to do again. What do I want to become when I grow up?

Dec. 21 2010 11:42 AM
Deborah Emin from Queens

I am an owner of a new e-book only publishing company. I began with 2 other partners, both younger, who weren't able to keep up with me.
Their interests and their energy couldn't keep up with me.
Sullivan Street Press has turned an important corner and we are going to make money this coming year. I would never work for anyone and have been self-employed for over 20 years.
This is my second incorporated business.

Dec. 21 2010 11:41 AM
susy from Manhattan

I own a business and I cannot believe that there is even a question about this.

What makes a good entrepreneur has nothing to do with age... and if it does seem to, that is probably anecdotal.

If she is talking about business ownership, perhaps being older helps. But as far as entrepreneurialism, age is not a prerequesite.

Drive. Dedication. Ingenuity. Innovation...Instinct. DESIRE. You can have any of those, at any age.

Dec. 21 2010 11:41 AM