Radio Rookies in NYC Classrooms

Friday, December 17, 2010 - 10:04 AM

WNYC

Teachers all over NYC use Rookies stories in their classrooms, and some want to take it a step further by teaching their students to create their own radio. But not everyone's a radio producer, so Radio Rookies is helping some of these teachers learn the basics of recording, editing and mixing so that more young people have the opportunity to tell their stories.

We’ve been working with Anna Lurie, an ESL teacher in the Bronx, to help her high school students produce their first stories. Here’s what Anna has to say:

I’m an English as a Second Language teacher at Millennium Art Academy (MAA) in the Bronx. As young voices are often excluded from the national dialogue on immigration, I wanted to give my students a platform from which to share their unique perspectives on the issue.  Earlier in the semester, my students recorded interviews with each other at the StoryCorps booth in Manhattan, and again during the organization’s special “Bronx Week”.

In their current project, “Education Everywhere,” my students are writing narrative essays about how growing up in immigrant families and communities has shaped their educational experiences, both in and out of school.  After writing their essays, they’ll create podcasts, some of which will be posted here.

As a homework assignment in preparation for writing, Diana Campos, an 11th grade student, interviewed her younger brother, Kevin, about his experience moving from Brooklyn to the Bronx.  Listen to a clip from the interview here, and stay tuned for more updates from MAA.

Egbert Delarosa writing
Lorenny Nuñez Adames writing
Egbert Delarosa at StoryCorps
Lorenny Nuñez Adames at StoryCorps
Diana Campos and Yaimelis Ferrer at StoryCorps

Tags:

More in:

Dennis Sweatt from Tracy, CA

This is an awesome program!

Jan. 15 2011 12:50 AM
Judy Eron from Terlingua, Texas

I'm Anna Lurie's aunt, and am admiring of this project. It gives these kids the opportunity to flesh out their own stories, and to think about their own family's stories. In addition, it is giving them the opportunity to learn radio recording technology. Wow. . . school can be so good! Thanks for doing this with your students, Anna.

Dec. 27 2010 10:48 AM
Chuck Platt from South Berwick, ME

Dear Ms. Lurie and her students,
Sounds like you are all doing some fantastic things at MAA. Keep up the good work, all of you!
I'm looking forward to hearing more of your recordings. This is such a great use of our modern technology.

Best,
Chuck Platt

Dec. 24 2010 04:24 PM
Chuck Platt from South Berwick, ME

Dear Ms. Lurie and her students,

Best,
Chuck Platt

Dec. 24 2010 04:23 PM
Joshua Paterno

Anna,

You're a great teacher. I love the goal of this blog. Their voices need to be heard too.

Dec. 23 2010 12:29 AM
Daniel Coles

Ms. Lurie,

I can't give you enough praise for this! Giving voice to these students who often feel challenged having their voices heard in their second language is absolutely transformative for them. Thanks for inspiring us all.

Dec. 22 2010 07:54 PM
Haymee Salas

Ms. Lurie,
This is fantastic! I am so happy to know you and know the amazing work you are doing with your kids. The love you have for them shows through and through.
Ms. Salas

Dec. 22 2010 07:09 PM
Mrs. Groll

Fantastic Ms. Lurie and students! What a great experience. I loved it!

Dec. 21 2010 12:38 PM
shprd

this is awesome! in the wise words of studs terkel, "everybody counts!" what better to make yourself count than by making your voice heard.

Dec. 20 2010 02:03 PM
Stella Heyliger

Bravo Ms. Lurie! Your students were so well prepared for their interview. It is obvious that they spent a lot of time and effort in this projet. What a powerful learning tool! It must have been very empowering for them to have their stories put on record. Great job!

Dec. 20 2010 11:47 AM
Tia Lurie from Yellow Springs, OH

Great job! I love the pictures from the studio and your classroom. I can't wait hear more.

Dec. 20 2010 10:26 AM
Erin Silvert-Noftle from San Antonio, TX

What an interesting experience these students get to have. I would love to hear more of their voices. Great job!

Dec. 20 2010 12:54 AM
Dave from New York, NY

Great interview! But I would love to hear more clips. Are there other stories from this class that u can post? We need to hear more about the experiences of these young people.

Dec. 19 2010 08:19 PM
Roger Lurie from Ecuador

"how did that make you feel?" It made me feel great! Good work Anna and students. By the way, is bread really cheaper in the Bronx?

Dec. 19 2010 06:51 PM
Kitt Lurie from Yellow Springs, Ohio

This is great! Wonderful way to learn about interviewing skills and media production. I loved hearing his reflections. Thank you!

Dec. 19 2010 02:58 PM