House Passes DREAM Act, Senate Tables It

Thursday, December 09, 2010

WNYC

Less than 24 hours after the House passed the DREAM Act on Wednesday by a margin of 216-198, the Senate voted to table its version of the bill, and will most likely take up the House version next week. Postponing the vote was a strategic decision because Republicans had threatened to filibuster if the DREAM Act came up before a vote to extend tax-cuts.

The legislation would allow young undocumented immigrants to apply for citizenship if they attend college or enter the armed forces for two years. Dream Act advocates have been holding vigils and hunger strikes this week to press for passage. President Obama supports the bill.

The vast majority of the New York Representatives voted for the DREAM Act. Out of the five who did not, three were Democrats: Michael Arcuri (D-24), Brian Higgins (D-27), and Bill Owens (D-23). The Republicans were Peter King (R-3) and Chris Lee (R-26).

Supporters were cheered by last week's Congressional Budget Office report that estimated the DREAM act would generate $2.3 billion in tax revenue due with the addition of 800,000 workers and cut the deficit by $1.4 million over the next ten years. But opponents said that the bill would increase projected deficits by between $5 billion and $20 billion between 2021 and 2061.

Undocumented immigrants who are under the age of 30, who came to the United States before the age of 16 and have lived here for five consecutive years with clean records would be eligible for the DREAM Act. This is the fifth โ€“ and most restrictive โ€“ version of the bill that has been introduced in Congress so far. Applicants for citizenship would have to remain in conditional non-immigrant status for ten years before they could apply for naturalization.

In Bushwick Brooklyn, youth organizers with Make the Road New York were avidly following proceedings. Natalia Aristizabal says young people have been texting her from school to find out what happened. When she tells them the vote was postponed, "They reply, saying, 'But why!' And they're, like, sad. But I have to explain to them that this is actually a good thing." Now, Aristizabal says, they have more time to fill the voice-mails of 10 Republicans and Democrats whose yea votes could turn the Dream Act into a reality.

The decision to table discussion does not rule out a Senate vote before the end of the lame duck session, but it will face a tough fight to win 60 votes.

Tags:

More in:

Iris

Heyy.Andres from Australia. Can i get your email??.. I would like to ask you some questions about Australia.. Plsss answer me. My email is iris0586@yahoo.com. Thank u

Mar. 26 2011 01:33 AM
Andres from Brisbane, Australia.

Come to Australia!!
I was one of those waiting for this bill to pass for a loooooong time. I lived in the US for 10 years, did really well in school, graduated from Uni with honours as an engineer, and not being able to get my permanent residence and dissapointed and tired with the way things were I decided to move to Australia. The best decision of my life. I love the US (I still have family there) but Australia is soooooo much better, immigrants are liked and respected here. Move to Australia people, this country will appreciate you.

Dec. 09 2010 08:07 PM
sunny from USA

I came to this country 22 years ago when I was 25. I came legally with a business VISA. I over stayed and 7 years later I married a US citizen for love and not for papers. We never bothered to apply for my I-485 until 2002. (not aware of the I-245 at that time) I was a successful making good money. Somewhere down the road I lost my passport with the I-94 attached to it ( filed for replacement of lost documents and paid fees twice) In the mean time my wife gave birth to a our son making me a proud and happy father. DHS lost my file several times during this time and had to reapply 3 times. I am facing deportation and am not worried about financial hardship but about my family adapting to a life and language that they are not used to.

I am posting this comment to wish you all the best of luck in getting this bill passed. It will be and its not in the hands of politicians but in the the hands of GOD. And HE never lets his children down. Good luck all of you who will benefit from this and those who wont.

America was built by immigrants, it will only survive by immigrants. Canada calls its new immigrants NEW CANADIANS.

Maybe I will move there........

Dec. 09 2010 07:26 PM
Mike

Whats the big deal? The americans are busting imigrant nuts for " not paying taxes". Then let them be legal so they can pay taxes. I mean anyone who owns a home pays taxes, everyone who eats pays taxes, everyone with health care, a car pays taxes. So let imigrants be legal so they can get real licences and real normal jobs.

Dec. 09 2010 06:07 PM
Andrea from NY, NY

"According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, in 2005, 56% of illegal immigrants were from Mexico; 22% were from other Latin American countries, primarily from Central America;[4] 13% were from Asia; 6% were from Europe and Canada; and 3% were from Africa and the rest of the world"

I'd say there's a majority represented there. The Dems desperately want the Latio vote. What do you think is happening here? Wake up.

Dec. 09 2010 04:16 PM
Michelle from NYC

The Dream Act would help all "undocumented immigrants". How is that catering to one ethnicity over all others. The words immigrant and Mexican are not interchangeable. I believe the name Dream Act refers to the American Dream of making a better life for yourself and your family. Our ancestors came to this country for the very same reason so it is our dream too.

Dec. 09 2010 03:42 PM
Andrea from NY, NY

I don't believe that favoring and catering to one ethnicity, over all others who desire to build a life in the US, is an American value.

Dec. 09 2010 03:20 PM
Mikal

When will they understand, this is your dream, but it's not ours!

Dec. 09 2010 02:32 PM