Encyclopedic New York: Bridges & Tunnels

Thursday, December 09, 2010

The second edition of The Encyclopedia of New York City is newly published. Hear about some of the tidbits of city lore each week in December. This week: the encyclopedia's editor-in-chief Kenneth T. Jackson and executive editor Lisa Keller talk about bridges and tunnels.

Event: Reading and discussion of The Encyclopedia of New York City: Second Edition with Kenneth T. Jackson at the Museum of the City of New York at 6:30.  Click here for more info.

Kenneth T. Jackson and Lisa Keller

David S. from New Jersey

I suppose that 9th Avenue is already honoring former governor Spitzer.

Dec. 15 2010 09:54 PM
Amy from Manhattan

2 other bridges named after people: the Washington & Hamilton bridges, btwn. Manhattan & the Bronx.

And for troubled waters, how about Spuyten Duyvil?

Dec. 10 2010 01:04 AM
Joe from Brooklyn

I'm not someone who naturally opposes change - I love it. It's New York! But I really resent the name changes and would like to exile the people whose idea this was to Wasilla, Alaska.

To me the names "Queensboro Bridge" and "Tri Boro" Bridge are SO New York. I have deep respect for RFK, but I thought the idea to rename the Tri Boro was insipid to say the lease. The renamings are unfortunate. (Koch?)

In 20 years, when they decide to change the Brookyn Bridge to the Michael Bloomerg Bridge (Bloomberg will probably still be mayor), what will people say then?

Dec. 09 2010 04:59 PM

Maybe bridges should have subheads, like newspaper articles.

Triborough Bridge
--RFK Bridge

I love RFK; HATE the rename.

I think the street sign at 52nd & 6th says both 52nd St. and "W.C. Handy Place."

As I say that, I believe signs on 6th Ave also say both "6th Ave" and "Avenue of the Americas."

Dec. 09 2010 02:58 PM
Alixe from Bronx

some history of the King's Bridge in the Bronx? Is it still there?

Dec. 09 2010 11:27 AM
Peter

For the caller that asked about any historical significance to the Carroll St. Bridge in Gowanus Brooklyn. It happens to be a landmark and is only 1 of 2 of its type in the city (and 4 in the country). It is a wood retractible bridge (a draw bridge that retracts) that was built in 1889.

Dec. 09 2010 11:10 AM
Sheldon from brooklyn

Well said Bobby - Ed Koch was a decent mayor, not great. His last term was a disaster.

Also, in this supposed democracy, why should anything be named after politicians who are still alive?

Dec. 09 2010 10:58 AM
Tom from Manhattan

Why in the world wouldn't Simon & Garfunkel be in this encyclopedia of New York!

Dec. 09 2010 10:58 AM
Debbie from man

I second Joe from New York. The 59th Street Bridge should be renamed the Simon & Garfunkel Bridge if at all.

Dec. 09 2010 10:56 AM

Some years ago, some road around NYC was renamed the Jackie Robinson Highway (or Parkway?). Now, whenever it's mentioned (usually in traffic reports), I have no idea what they're referring to -- or what is used to be. Not that Jackie Robinson shouldn't be immortalized in some way. But why a road?

Dec. 09 2010 10:55 AM
rlewis from the bowery

Steinbrenner Stadium

Brian you're sounding very old school. How do you get around lower Manhattan - Delancey St., Howard St., William St., Astor Pl., Bayard St. and it goes on and on and on. Do you even what Division St. actually divided???

Dec. 09 2010 10:51 AM
Chris from Pittsburgh

About 10 years ago in Pittsburgh we renamed our 6th, 7th and 9th street bridges for, respectively, Roberto Clemente (because it goes to the ball park and he played for the Pirates), Andy Warhol (because it goes to his museum and he grew up here) and Rachel Carson (because she grew up up river).

Dec. 09 2010 10:50 AM
Joe from New York

The 59th Street Bridge should be renamed the Paul Simon Bridge, or the Simon and Garfunkel Bridge. When I think of the bridge, I certainly think more readily of S&G than of Ed Koch.

Dec. 09 2010 10:50 AM
bernie from bklyn

is Hoffman Island in Gravesend Bay included? this is considered part on NYC, yes?

Dec. 09 2010 10:48 AM
Bobby G from East Village

I like Ed Koch. His greatest achievement is the pooper scooper law, but that doesn't deserve his name on the 59th St. Bridge.

Dec. 09 2010 10:44 AM
George from Bay Ridge

Was anything from the previous edition removed from the new edition?

Dec. 09 2010 02:39 AM