Sara Moulton on Cookies

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

TV host and cookbook author Sara Moulton talks about the ins and outs of baking holiday cookies, as well as what makes the recipes in the new Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009 so reliable and delicious. She’ll also pick her favorite recipes from our listener holiday cookie recipe swap, and we’ll speak with some of those listeners about what makes those recipes their favorites.

See the listener submissions here!

Sara Moulton

Betty Lynd from Upper Westside Manhattan

This was a wonderful segment. Please have Sara Moulton back again! With all her experience at Gourmet and her shows she would be great as a regular guest. I'd love to know more about her and her career.

Dec. 13 2010 10:00 PM
SAL

Moravian White Christmas Cookies page doesn't open.

Dec. 08 2010 08:41 PM
lauren from vermont

thanks so much for the cookie segment, it really got me in the holiday spirit!

Dec. 08 2010 12:49 PM
AEG from Canada

This is for "Suh from NJ ". My husband is also allergic to eggs so when I bake I use Egg Beaters from Fleishmans.

Dec. 08 2010 12:43 PM
Linda Van Derslice

I would like an explanation of why some cookie recipes call for sweet (unsalted) butter and then have salt as an ingredient. Why is salt an ingredient in a cookie - for the chemistry, or for the taste?

Dec. 08 2010 12:43 PM
Zostar from NJ

Would appreciate some vegan cookie recipes.

Dec. 08 2010 12:41 PM
Sandra from Astoria

Speaking of Ruth Reichl, can the LL Show bring her back as a monthly guest, pleeeeease??? I know Gourmet is defunct, but she is still amazing and I love her intelligence and the sound of her voice.

Dec. 08 2010 12:40 PM
Suh from NJ

My son is suffers from an egg allergy. Are there any good cookie recipes that don't require eggs, or is there a good egg substitute out there (besides the powered mix)?

Dec. 08 2010 12:32 PM
Amantha May from Brooklyn

Xanthan gum is an additive that can replace gluten when used with alternative flours. I mix a gluten-free flour that substitutes well with almost all traditional flour recipies.

3 c brown rice flour
1/2 c tapioca flour
1 c arrowroot starch or potato starch
1 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Dec. 08 2010 12:32 PM
Susan from Manhattan

I think the best Cristmas cookies are
the Greek Kourambiedes

Dec. 08 2010 12:24 PM
patty from NYC

Most cookie recipes contain white flour - can you suggest ways to substitute almond flour or coconut flour in traditional recipes?

Dec. 08 2010 12:19 PM
Branio from Slovak Republic

You should taste a marble cake which my mother makes!! (: it is sooooo delicious (:

Dec. 08 2010 12:19 PM
Ronald Kluck

My mother made an anise Christmas cookie using baker's ammonia. We would buy it at the drugstore. Is baker's ammonia still available?

Dec. 08 2010 12:19 PM
Richard

For the Trios recipe, when do you add the jam/preserves? Before or after baking? This step is not described in the recipe.

Dec. 08 2010 12:19 PM
Kim from Harlem

Thanks for the recipes, but the link for Mocha cookies isn't working :(

The Lopate Show responds:

The link to the Mocha cookies is working again - happy baking!

Dec. 08 2010 12:19 PM
Branio from Slovak Republic

Dec. 08 2010 12:18 PM
Peter Shelsky from Brooklyn

You just mentioned peoples' avoidance over the years from adjusting cookie recipes and playing with different options. One that sticks in my mind is the Tablespoon of water in Nestle toll house cookies. It is unnecessary to include it in the recipe, yet I and everyone I know puts it in there every time

Dec. 08 2010 12:18 PM
Rosanna from Connecticut

You must must must try Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Cocoa Sables from her new book Around My French Table. I made them, gave them to my son, he gave them to his girlfriend and her brother texted to say that these were the BEST cookies he had ever tasted. I take them to work and everyone loves them.
Great show!
thanks

Dec. 08 2010 12:15 PM

I tinker with every recipe I use, except for cookies.

Southern-style sand tarts are the absolute finest cookie in the world. They are essentially butter cookies with diced pecans (like pecan sandies), shaped into crescents and coated with powdered sugar. Don't mess with it!

Dec. 08 2010 12:14 PM
Troy from Carroll Gardens

Sara, do you happen to know any recipes for German butterhorns? My aunt used to make these amazing ones with almonds and age them for a few weeks before serving them. I can't find a similar recipe anywhere!

Dec. 08 2010 12:11 PM