The Case of the Missing (200,000) Votes

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Sam Roberts, urban affairs correspondent for The New York Times, discusses the discovery of nearly 200,000 unreported votes from the election night totals of the November elections.

Read More and Join the Conversation at It's a Free Country

Sam Roberts
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Pollworker from SOHO

what i don't get is why as poll workers we still--hand write the results on the "return of canvas" that goes to the police dept and other venues...

sometimes by the time I get home betwee n 9:45pm (in the ole days ) and now one hour later...

the election has been called...and I know that I had JUST dropped off the results to the police station!

Dec. 07 2010 10:43 AM
RJ

Don't forget the confirmed movement of the WFP to row D!

Dec. 07 2010 10:43 AM
Diana from the Bronc

So why do we need to know 'instantly' at the close of polls who won? Shouldn't we take the time it takes to actually count the votes and make sure the count is correct?

And how would the totals from each polling place be electronically transmitted, safely and securely, from the individual polling places? There is no way to do this, these schools and community rooms are not securely wired for one thing! Sam Roberts' understanding of this process leaves a lot to be desired!

Dec. 07 2010 10:42 AM
Phil from Brooklyn

I love hearing about the Flintstones technology behind the screen. Can't they find better birds to peck out the results on the stone tablets inside the machines? How do you lose that many stone tablets?

Dec. 07 2010 10:42 AM
Don from Smithtown

As a technologist, it drives me batty that we still have these problems. This isn't a hard problem to solve from a technology perspective. There is no reason for any paper to be involved in the official count unless the race is close enough to warrant an audit. There is no excuse.

Dec. 07 2010 10:40 AM
gary from queens

The best comprehensive solution to all registration and balloting problems is presented in this article:

Err, I happen to have written it. But that's mere coincidence!

Dec. 07 2010 10:18 AM
Brian Shumon from Staten Island NY

So, 200,000 ballots were not counted in the 2009 electoral election and King Bloomberg won by only 50,000 votes despite outspending Bill Thompson 20 to 1. This buy an election stuff is getting so complicated.

Dec. 07 2010 09:57 AM
Bobby G from East Village

On a slightly different subject, Mr. Brian Lehrer, I heard on your show, shortly before the election, an official from the Board of Elections state that it was possible to cast a write-in vote on Proposition One (term limits).
This is what I did, following the instructions of the poll worker. Yesterday I received a letter that said that, "The Board of Elections did not count my ballot." I blame the Board of Elections for confusing voters, and distorting the results.

Dec. 07 2010 08:49 AM