Thanksgiving Traditions from Mother to Daughter

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hanna Rosin, editor of Slate's DoubleX, shares stories of thanksgiving traditions passed down from mother to daughter.

Is your family passing the cooking torch to the next generation this year, or trying out some new holiday traditions?

Hanna Rosin

miriam from new york city

I sort of always envied the stories people had about the adventure or misadventure of Thanksgiving dinners while living overseas. Then I had my own. Living in a kibbutz by the dead Sea, we, the small group of "anglosaxons" decided to do Thanksgiving. Should have been no problem, fresh turkey from out turkey growing branch. The well meaning
friend who managed the branch asked if I wanted it cleaned. Sure. Frankly I did not even think about those feathers. On the evening before, he told me that the turkey is there on his Vespa outside the dining hall. I was horrified to see that cleaning to him meant skinning the bird! What now? In despair, I called the beach side restaurant we ran and asked the friendly cook to save me lots of fat and skin which we trimmed from the chicken parts. I managed to wrap the fat around the carcass with string and toothpicks. Aside to it looking like the monster of Frankenstine, it was moist and delicious and yes, finally I had my own Thanksgiving story in a foreign country.

Nov. 25 2010 08:09 AM
Kathleen

To me, the whole point of thanksgiving is to sit down and break bread with family members and or friends. I am re-married and have children and stepchildren that are ages 17 to 25. This means they have jobs and significant others that have families. Since scheduling became so difficult, I started a new tradition a few years back called, 'Thanksgiving Saturday' The stress is gone, I don't have to make a meal late Wednesday because I work full time and the turkey is on sale. Most importantly - I actually look forward to this holiday!

Nov. 24 2010 12:24 PM
Naomi Lipman from Scarsdale NY

We had Thanksgiving on 11/6 this year. Here's why: After 60 years of hosting the extended family, I have yielded the day to my youngest son's mother-in-law. But I wanted the little ones to have a memory of MY T'giving, so I used my husband's birthday as an excuse to get all of us together, using all my wonderful T'giving paraphernalia and wonderful recipes and not having to work any football games into the mix. .

Nov. 24 2010 11:59 AM
IMHO

A few years ago, some friends had a kind of "refugees" Thanksgiving dinner for all of the interns and people who relocated for business.

Nov. 24 2010 11:57 AM
Natali Crowell from NJ

As a first generation American the Thanksgiving dinner I grew up with never looked like the celebrations I saw on TV or what my classmates talked about. Yes we had the turkey, but no stuffing, no cranberries, no pumpkin pies. Instead we had shrimp scampi and roasted lamb.
It’s my first year hosting and I’ve planned a very traditional dinner, which I love. But now as Thanksgiving dinner is about 24 hours away I’m starting to have second thoughts.

Nov. 24 2010 11:56 AM
Robert from NYC

Nothing.

Nov. 24 2010 11:55 AM
Ronald Winters from Scarsdale NY

Everyone should see "Pieces of April" to fully appreciate Thanksgiving.

Nov. 24 2010 11:55 AM
Phoebe from Bushwick

We just moved back to NYC and couldn't afford to go home to visit our families, so my partner and I, who have been traveling, invited a big group of travelers (people we have never met) from the website CouchSurfing.org to join us. They are all very excited to experience the American tradition. It should be an interesting evening.

Nov. 24 2010 11:54 AM
Polli from Rumson, NJ

We 're delighted to be guests at my son and daughter-in-law's new place in Alexandria. He is the first of 6 children, and just married. The torch is passed --after about 30 years of hosting up to 30 people every year (and then comes Christmas) it was a labor of love, but the time has come... Our turkey had gotten so big it barely fit in the oven! They are having a smaller group this year, but it is the beginning of a new tradition. They have only made a few recipe calls--everything is under control, and it's going to be great Adam and Amy!

Nov. 24 2010 11:53 AM
chuck from manhattan

they never invite me to any holidays, I live on Central park west 10 years never got a happy thanksgivng happy new year...never invited to a party..why should they pepole are alays mean to me..stalk me on the street in cars on foot...so I walk in the street not the sidewalks..

are these people evil or something..sadistic?? really rotten that not even one could say happy thnaks..why dont we have a coffee or come over for Thanksgiving...

only Nazi's are like this they're not bad people not sadistic just Nazi's...Denmark, Isareal sweden all have very strong Nazi parties....Italy is a facist country france they kill or throw out gypes.

It tough for other Nazi's alot here are alone Nazi's dont really have family values or have compassion kindess for those less fortunate..certainly not thankfull..

any small ethnic group inlove with them selves and expansionist like Isreal is Nazi...Nazi Jews...Uppper west side the most jewish part of mnahttan..
the Most Nazi..

Bloomberg the fuhrer...

anyone want a middle aged george clooney white guy for thanksgiving let me know Im availalble...

PS Amy Goodmena and Juan fernandez....remind me of zera and cornelius on planet of the apes..the apes being expanionist genocidal Nazi's

Zera is very kind open minded libeal but a Nazi and extremely dangerous to humans...Non Nazi's.

Nov. 24 2010 11:49 AM