Episode 3 -- The Tapes

« previous episode | next episode »

Saturday, November 28, 2009

This segment explores the tapes themselves in no particular context. (Originally aired November 18, 2009)

We hear rather longer segments of some of the more memorable tapes including a casual meeting between musicians and loft regulars Zoot Sims and Jimmy Stevenson and a subsequent jam session; powerful piano playing by Dave McKenna; a conversation with the young Roland Kirk revealing his aspirations; a lonely night when nothing was happening, tape still rolling!

The Jazz Loft Project Radio Series was supported in part by a grant from The National Endowment for the Humanities; and by an award from The National Endowment for the Arts.

Neil Jacobson

There already is a 2 CD set of some other Jazz Loft tapes. Perhaps a different Jazz Loft? I don't know - same time period though. It too was in the Flower District. This CD has been out for a while but may be hard to find. The CD pre-dates this book by a few years, has many of the same players and is called David X. Young's Jazz Loft: 1954-1965

May. 29 2010 08:45 PM
Dave G from Beijing, China

I came across this fantastic project through a photo site that offers up visually interesting topics....and to find these wonderful jazz tapes accompanying such photographs from the legendary Smith, just makes nights sitting in MY loft that much more enjoyable by offering such great music impossible to find here.....thanks to all involved in this wonderful project......

Mar. 22 2010 09:17 AM
christian von der Goltz from Berlin

when will all the sessions be available online without comments? The music is amazing!!!

Feb. 18 2010 02:53 PM
Timothy Bartling from Portland, OR

Thank you for producing this fine piece of radio!

Feb. 01 2010 11:34 PM
jim secreto from michigan

thank you for saving this jazz history.

I appreciate your hard work. hopefully one day there will be a CD.

Dec. 25 2009 01:05 PM
Francis Rodgers from Albany NY area

Miss my friend Dave McKenna. Had heard of these pictures but didnot expect the tapes. He played Schenectady NY for years in 80-90. Memorable nights.

Dec. 06 2009 08:58 AM
Gitbox

I am just a little younger than thes guys in the loft. To me they embody the era that I cam of age in. The photos remind me of the time when I was just married (at 19) and was trying to earn a few bucks in the moving business during many of these same hours, between sundown and sunup. Just down the block from one of the moving warehouses (barns in the moving parlance) was the original Quarter Note on Spring Street. Ornette had his loft on Spring. The place was familiar. I am thankful the music became familiar later.
There is an old cliche about genius and madness being close. Here it is on tape, in multiple manifestations.

Nov. 23 2009 06:17 PM

Peg and DG,

At present, the material is not cleared for commercial or non-commercial recording release. It could be that some individual musicians will be able to sort this out, but it is extremely complicated due to the various estates and archives involved. Stay tuned!

Right now, this series is the best hope for hearing the material.

Nov. 19 2009 02:34 PM

Andrew,

Unfortunately, David is no longer with us. As a result, we are not sure how to locate his daughter.

Nov. 19 2009 02:28 PM
Andrew Robinson from Verona, NJ

I knew David X. Young many years ago during my summers in Ocean Point, Maine. I almost drove off the rode when I heard his name mentioned on WNYC!
I'd like to know, if you can, where he is, if he's still with us.
Also, I'd love to touch base with his daughter. I forget her name. She was wonderful and an aspiring dancer.
Please get back to me.

Nov. 19 2009 08:38 AM
DG from Brooklyn

Same question as Peg's - will any portion of the tapes themselves be released - either commercially or as public domain? I see a book is for sale.

Nov. 18 2009 05:53 PM
Peg from NYC

This is a wonderful series. You hear musicians you have loved and here they are just themselves. Are there going to be some editions (recordings) of some of this music, just the music only?

We lived in the village at this time and heard these guys at the Five Spot, Jazz Gallery, etc. To hear them again like this is great.

Nov. 18 2009 02:19 PM