NYC Crime Stats

Friday, November 12, 2010

New York City police fired fewer bullets last year than in any other year on record. Sean Gardiner, crime reporter for the Wall Street Journal, talks about the shooting statistics. Plus: the city's increase in violent crime compared to last year's record-breaking low, and a Brooklyn precinct that reportedly sets quotas for traffic summonses.

Sean Gardiner
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

reefermadness

however when cops learn the system that tricking a kid into getting a misdemeanor for reefer possession, they get attaboy stars for the bogus misdemeanor arrests and OT for the paperwork, the kid who should have gotten a citation, if anything, will lose a lot of chances he may have had in life.
The system is screwed until nypd aggressively prosecutes their officers for committing perjury.
until the nypd take perjury serious, they will never get respect, they will remain known as thugs.

Nov. 14 2010 12:12 AM
gaetano catelli from Oxford, MS (pop. almost 20,000)

shooting Sean Bell was "wrong"? really?

Nov. 12 2010 11:11 PM
Eugenia Renskoff from Brooklyn

Hi, I was assaulted the other day in broad daylight at the corner of Grand and Forsyth. A man, from behind, started pushing me and hitting me on the right shoulder. He did this 3 times. I screamed and he walked away. When a witness confronted him and asked him why he was pushing people, the man of course denied it. Now I am scared. All I was doing that afternoon was walking and minding my own business. Eugenia Renskoff

Nov. 12 2010 11:41 AM
Volcofsky from Lefferts Gardens Bklyn

What about stats for tasing? Probably leading to reduced police gunfire - …?

Nov. 12 2010 10:45 AM

Quotas exist and have for many, many years in the NYPD. "Tints" in the memo refers to cars that have darkly tinted windows, illegal in NY. I had cops in my family and they complained about it.

Nov. 12 2010 10:40 AM
Sebastian Bonner from Manhattan Valley

I don't believe the stats that cops report. The quotas you're now referring to are just part of the problem. Remember the problem in Bed Stuy where the EO was demanding that kids be pulled into jail overnight, and lowering serious crimes into less serious categories. The story was covered on This American Life.

Nov. 12 2010 10:37 AM