Food and the City: Cooking At Home

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Melanie Rehak, poet, critic, and author Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid, reports on food from the farm, the fishing boat, the delivery truck, a Brooklyn locavore restaurant, and her own kitchen. Each week in November she shares what she's learned -- this week: cooking at home.

What do you think are the essential food items to always have in your cabinet? Share your advice for stocking the kitchen, tackling tough recipes, and cooking for a dinner party -- all at home.

Melanie Rehak

margaret from nyc

Your intelligent empathy has made you hero of mine. But you have gone down greatly estimation on account of your callous, almost conspiratorial chuckle at that silly cruel anecdote about tearing live lobsters apart as told by Melanie Rehak

Nov. 21 2010 02:37 PM
vicki from Park Slope

I listened with disgust as Brian and Melanie giggled about tearing a living thing apart (lobster)I thought it was brutal and not particularly amusing. Shame on you both.

Nov. 18 2010 04:48 PM
Su Polo from NYC

A good song for cooking to would be...
Prom Night In Pigtown - John Gorka

Also, Like Kiwon Wang's comment. I always thought one should throw the lobster in boiling water but have never been able to do this myself. Always apologizing to clams and steamers.

Nov. 18 2010 11:58 AM
Steve from New Brunswick NJ

For your T'giving cooking mix tape, I strongly recommend "Burning Down the House" by Talking Heads.

Nov. 18 2010 11:58 AM
Tonky from red hook

I'm on board with this sports analogy.

I find great joy and release in the cooking process and part of the enjoyment comes in attaining maximum efficiency of movement.

The home chef needs dominate the kitchen just as a runner keeps their form or a quarterback maintains field awareness.

Nov. 18 2010 11:56 AM
Matt from Manhattan

I cook competitively -- against my guests. My wife doesn't like rosemary, so I try to use it in small amounts everywhere. She does like my cooking, on the whole, but not as much as she might otherwise. I can point to all kinds of things I didn't use to like but now love because I kept trying them, but is it really a favor to do that to someone else?

Nov. 18 2010 11:56 AM
Tonky from red hook

I'm on board with this sports analogy.

Nov. 18 2010 11:55 AM
Connie from NJ

What would Bing sing while tearing a living lobster apart, I wonder?

I've eaten my last lobster.

Nov. 18 2010 11:54 AM
Lisa from LIC

Ick, tearing a live lobster apart. Not cool.

Nov. 18 2010 11:54 AM
kiwon wang

the best way to cook lobster is to rub lobster's belly with your finger then it will fall asleep so no nonsense of tearing or prick in between the eyes

Nov. 18 2010 11:53 AM