Bloomberg's Choice for NYC Schools: Publisher Cathie Black

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Mayor Michael Bloomberg has announced that magazine magnate Cathleen Black will be the next Chancellor of the New York City Department of Education. She replaces Joel Klein, who held the position for eight years before announcing his departure for News Corp. on Tuesday afternoon.

Originally from Chicago, Black earned a degree from Trinity College in Washington, DC before moving to New York City to pursue a career in publishing. She has been called “The First Lady of American Magazines,” and boasts an impressive resume of creative and leadership roles in the business. In 1979, she became the first female publisher of New York magazine, and in the 1980s she acted as president and publisher of USA Today. She has also served as president and CEO of the Newspaper Association of America and most recently as the chairman of Hearst Magazines, which publishes Cosmopolitan, O, Esquire, and Good Housekeeping.

For her new job as Chancellor, Black emphasized the need to refocus the district's curriculum to make it more relevant to work and higher education. "We need to form new partnerships with business, nonprofits and universities to more closely align our curriculum to connect our kids to colleges and careers," she said.

Mayor Bloomberg has said that he was looking for a “world-class manager” to head up the Department of Education. He hopes to have found that in Cathie Black. As Chancellor, she will oversee more than 1,600 schools, 1.1 million students, 136,000 employees and a $21 billion operating budget.

Tags:

More in:

Bloombag the Tiny Tyrant from Finland

I love how people always want to talk about the "US education system" and haven't traveled or if they have, have no first hand experience with international education.

I have and I can tell you these arguments are false and full of kaka.

This pick sucks. Period.

Nov. 23 2010 03:14 PM
Becky from Manhattan

Mr. Mulgrew can't even speak properly. "Her & I met."
Why would I trust his opinion.

Nov. 12 2010 10:14 AM
nyorker from nyc

If you want to become President it's nice to have friends in the media.

Nov. 10 2010 10:31 AM
MARICICC from Upper East Side

I wish her good luck. It sounds like she is bringing some fresh ideas to the table. It's not and easy fix and I'm just glad I'm through and did successfully survive the NYCBOE with my child. Survive is a key word here - I think a private education would have challenged him more. It all comes down to the classroom, hence the quality of the teaching. I don't mind paying them more as soon as they put in the hours as is required in all full time professions! I am also in favor of merit promotions/merit pay increases for teachers. There are too many "free loaders" taking the job on a temporary basis and often to keep the same schedule as their kids...holiday and summer breaks...sure makes life easy, doesn't it?

Nov. 10 2010 09:27 AM
Luigi

How sad Mr. S.W.Green, as it appears you as an educator are to blame for the sorry state of NYC education along with the union leaders who block attempts to fix the system.

Nov. 09 2010 06:01 PM
S.W.Green from New Jersey

General comment

Education is the bedrock of American society (really any society). Unfortunately, in the US people take this to mean that it never changes. It is amazing to me how conservative educators are and how no matter how much things deteriorate they refuse to stop teaching like they were taught on and on and on. I speak from 35 years in education where I have pushed the stone up the mountain all too many times to see if slip down; and more importantly seen my children crushed by public education.

Specific comment
Hope lies in professionalizing teaching with masters level certification like all respectable professions. I certainly wasn't ready to teach fresh out of college. We need to support professional teacher education and pay teachers professional salaries. At least that is a start.
If you don't believe me, listen to Sir Kenneth Robinson