New York City Schools Chancellor Joel Klein Steps Down, Publisher Cathie Black Steps In

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

The head of New York City's school system, Chancellor Joel Klein, has resigned from his position. Cathie Black, the Chairman of Hearst Magazines will replace him.

Klein was appointed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2002 to oversee the country's largest school system. Klein's support of mayoral control of schools was seen as controversial and in recent years came under fire for declining test scores.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Klein praised Bloomberg's dedication to reforming education in New York City and said that 60 percent more kids in the city are going to college now than when he started in 2002. "What we achieved is truly a tribute to your leadership your steadfastness, particularly in times of challenging controversy and indeed your willingness to make education the number one issue in this city," Klein said.

Speaking as the newly appointed chancellor, Black said she supports Bloomberg's goals of pursuing partnerships with the businesses, non-profits and universities. She praised New York's teachers and said students need to become more tech-savvy. She also pledged to add an additional 100 charter schools to the city.

During Klein's tenure, New York was one of 10 states to receive $700 million federal Race to the Top funds. That came after heated debates and wrangling with state and city teacher's unions over lifting the cap on charter schools and tying teacher evaluations to test scores.

In a statement, United Federation of Teachers President Michael Mulgrew said, "I look forward to working with Ms. Black. As a teacher, I will help in any way I can to improve the education for the children of New York.” He added that he had met Black a few weeks ago, but did not discuss the schools.

Klein held the Chancellor's position longer than anyone in New York's history. He also served in the Justice Department from 1997-2001 where he oversaw a team of 700 lawyers.

What is your reaction to Klein's resignation? Leave your comments below.

Tags:

More in:

rachel from brooklyn

Hello,
i was wondering if you can give me information on who to talk to about a minor issue I am having with my daughters school . The school; started a track and field team. Which I think is great! The problem is that My third grade teacher is the coach. Now every Wednesday the teacher is not going to be in the class. This teacher is a third grade ela teacher and I feel that my daughter is missing a lot of the work that she is suppose to be leaning and preparing for. The test is in
May and i feel that this is disrupting my daughters learning. so if you have any answers foer what I should do or who I can talk to about this please let me know. Thank you for your time.

every wednesday th

Mar. 25 2011 01:07 PM
Byrhanna Whitney from New York City,Ny

I honestly think she is not ready for office yet she has no experince what so ever with public schools. Since she was a former worker of CokeCola what do you think is going to be in our kids vending machines. Now we all know she is going to try her hardest to get cokecola in our childrens vending machines.

Dec. 06 2010 08:39 PM

@Erik from Manhattan: We are talking about education at the elementary and high school levels. It is my belief that words have meaning for us all, and losing or confusing meanings – ignoring *semantics* - if is *NOT* irrelevant.
If, by some misdirected decisions, “public education” or any portion thereof is privatized, I believe the term “client” is the most appropriate of the ones you mentioned and any others I have thought. The children-to-be-educated are the people we should be working for, the ones for whose benefit we *must* be striving. The cliché “our children are our future” is no less true for being a cliché. They are *not* the payers or activators you refer to in the private model; they are not those *to* whom we are responsible - they *are* the ones we are responsible *FOR*! and any failure in that responsibility, whether by commission or omission, will be lain at our feet by history.

Nov. 20 2010 05:20 AM

I started working professionally (I got paid) with the Board(s) of Education (regular & Higher) in 1967. I had to retire because I could no longer walk the halls, much less the stairs, of high schools where teachers seldom have 'home' rooms of their own.
Life is complicated. Ms. Black may be *the* candidate for Chancellor, but her lack of credentials makes a close look imperative AND the result *not* a foregone conclusion.
Several of the comments before mine have referred to teachers who are "experts" in the topic of their curriculum. While I believe this is useful, desirable, etc., I believe teachers who are experts in *LEARNING* are more important. I was and am well enough educated to be hired to teach high school maths and computer literacy. In addition, I have substituted *effectively* in social studies, chemistry, physics, biology, English writing, and more.
I am a *competent* teacher and learner in nearly any topic that has caught my attention in my six decades. I would commend the *great* teachers I have known, both as my colleagues and my teachers, as the first to be hired and the last to be allowed to have reason to leave, but they are not enough to fill any of our schools.

Nov. 20 2010 04:35 AM
Jennifer

Ms. Black, while there are some truly excellent teachers in New York City, on the whole, this system hardly has "the best teachers in the country." Be real. There are still many teachers and administrators on the payroll who simply do not do their jobs.

Joel Klein seemed aware enough of the problem to say to a reporter on NY1 that online courseware could "reduce the need for teachers to master so much content." That comment should frighten all New Yorkers who will living among and possibly working with these public school graduates. Online learning is certainly no substitute for smart, dedicated teachers, who are experts in their subject matter.

As a taxpayer and a parent of a child in public school, I want an honest accounting of how monies are allocated and performance assessments are made. This administration has spent millions of dollars on systems to track public student performance from the cradle to the grave, yet students still study from science textbooks that are more than a decade old and attend poorly maintained, overcrowded, and under-staffed schools.

Call me a cynic, but I would be surprised if a personal friend of the mayor can act independently enough to be brutally honest about what is happening in the New York City public school system. Some of the city's traditionally better performing schools have seen a dramatic downward slide since Klein became chancellor. Ms. Black, do a before Klein (2000) and after Klein (2010) to see the impact of curricula like "Reading First" and "Everyday Math" on average and above average students.

Public school parents know full well why Mr. Klein chose this auspicious moment to jump ship. His legacy will be made clear when NYC high school students are required to pass Regents exams with a 65 or higher. There will probably be a drop in graduation rates unless, of course, the Department of Education fashions a "Regents recovery" after its "credit recovery."

Ms. Black, please examine teachers actual working conditions -- 5-6 classes per day with as many as 150-175 students per term and find ways to make those conditions more realistic and more conducive to teaching and learning. Do the math and figure out how many hours it would take for a teacher to grade 150 essays.

I do not believe that a school chancellor has to come out of the education bureaucracy, but I do believe a good chancellor needs to have eyes wide open and an eclectic team of people who have been/are in the trenches and can tell her/him what is really going on. Mr. Klein operated in an echo chamber in order to push through reforms that had, at best, a limited and uneven impact. At worst, policies like "credit recovery" to boost graduation rates have been just criminal.

Rather than focus on all high school graduates going to college, why not make sure that all high school graduates can do high school level work. Now, that's a novel idea.

Nov. 15 2010 08:36 PM
Erik from Manhattan

I have no problem calling students "customers". I work with a non-profit educational foundation and came across the same problem with the word.

The reason you hire someone like Cathie Black is because you want to apply business principles to education. Customer is a very specific business term that is different than the common meaning of the word.

If you have a problem with the word, call them stakeholders. The problem isn't semantics though. If they come up with a good plan that is successfully implemented it doesn't matter what you call the students.

Nov. 12 2010 10:23 AM

I like Noelle from Brooklyn's idea. Black needs to do Undercover Boss. No amount of position papers can do what a solid week of 7-4 school days, plus the homework of assessing and planning would do. I'd love to know that a "leader" of the NYC Schools fully experienced (if only for a week) the demands of implementing lessons and activities that will assist a diverse (by income, class, race, interests, home environment) student body not only "learn" proscribed info bits, but become more thoughtful, inquisitive, functional human beings. To jump into that pool would REALLY open her eyes, and everyone else's. Too bad it'll NEVER HAPPEN.

Nov. 11 2010 11:21 AM
Joe from Newark, NJ

People enter the teaching profession in order to make a fundamentally important contribution to society. In order to preserve and expand this altruistic behavior, society needs DEDICATED LEADERS whose EXPERIENCE demonstrates a clear understanding of the value of public education to society. Mr. Blumberg’s selection clearly demonstrates that he values administrators more than leaders. A professional and serious search would have provided Mr. Blumberg with a list of qualified leaders. The mayor could then have selected a chancellor who would not require an initial period of on the job learning to understand public education. Rather, an appropriate chancellor could immediately begin to advance the effectiveness of public education in NYC. Such a chancellor could recruit individuals to help manage the economic aspects of public education. If politicians really want an educated populace, then they must act with the knowledge that education is not a business enterprise but a fundamental component of a healthy and productive society.

Nov. 11 2010 09:40 AM
Scott from formerly of Park Slope

Mayor Mike and Chancellor Joel Klein have presided over the systematic destruction of Public Education in NYC through the selection of sub-par curriculae; High School graduation rates continue to hover around 60%, which is insupportable. Ms. Black will pick up where Mr. Klein leaves off in destroying the UFT and blaming the union for failure in the schools.

Nov. 10 2010 04:58 PM
Why almost $20,000 per student ? from Sanity (?)

According to your report, the public schools
have a budget of $21 Billion for 1.1 million
students! That's almost $20,000 PER
STUDENT PER YEAR !

WHY does it cost so much to educate a child ?

WHERE is the money spent ?

What percent is spent on teachers as opposed to administration and other costs ?

Couldn't one do a better job paying Parents
$15,000 - $20,000 per child per year to
teach their OWN kids - as a full time job ?

Doing so would also virtually eliminate family poverty and create a large number of stable, meaningful, high quality, full time jobs.

Nov. 10 2010 04:04 PM
D3 Parent from Manhattan

This is about privatizing $11 billion dollars of public education money. That's Mike for you. Forget the outrageous fact that Ms. Black has no education background, the salient point is Ms. Black's mandate for charter schools. Charter schools use selective criteria to fill their seats. This is a business model (think most qualified applicant) using public funds. This model undermines one of the most important foundations of our democracy--a public education system that gives every child access to the curriculum. I am counting the years until my kids are out of the NYC public school system. If you are thinking of entering the system: Don't. Beware. Turn Back. Before it is Too Late.

Nov. 10 2010 11:54 AM
Oona from Ivy League Educated & Disheartened

It's a Free Country. org. R U Kidding? It's a Corporatocracy run by the wealthy & their friends who do their best to prevent class unrest while skimming the cream for themselves. The working class is so busy trying to jump through hoops to manage day to day - they have little time to do anything even spend a few peaceful moments in reflection. Our poor Country has been bought & sold so many times we don't even know who's holding the cards anymore. The society has become more aggressive, more arrogant, more stratified and finally we are headed well needed breakdown. Too bad President Obama is in firing range as the current State of the Union had nothing to do with him. I grieve for the United States of Opportunity for All & this new appointment to our public school system has unfortunately become business as usual.

Nov. 10 2010 11:36 AM
Larry from Long Island

In business the goal is to increase your profit. If you can make more money with a lesser product that is a totally valid business philosophy. However in education the final product is the key. How much extra would you spend to give one more child a hopeful future. I am concerned that Ms Black may set that figure too low. Education for all of its inefficiencies (which should be dealt with) is still cheaper than incarceration or a lifetime of public assistance.

Nov. 10 2010 11:26 AM
Nancy from Washington Heights

Yes, yes, yes, I get that the school's chancellor doesn't have to be a teacher to do a good job, but given the desperate state of NYC public schools, it's outrageous that Bloomberg has once again appointed someone with NO experience in education. How can she meaningfully set policy if she has to ask the public for patience while she gets "up to speed?" To the posters below who believe that great managers don't need experience in their "business," our children are not cars or ipads! As a parent, I am deeply insulted by Bloomberg's belief that business people -- who would never deign to send their own children to public schools -- are better qualified to run the school system than innovative educators (and there are plenty out there!). Enough of this grand social experiment!

Nov. 10 2010 10:53 AM
Benjamin from brooklyn

It is disheartening to hear so meone touted as decisive asking for patience. This is the sickest school syste m. I didn't hear michelle rhee ask for a mo ment. If you have the conviction to fix it, the please be decisive enough to risk offense or, don't patronize if that's the game with an apologetic start. tax money isn't for that to be a training post. whatever transferrible skills there are should im mediately mitigate no teaching experience and a totally different manage ment perfor mance basis.

Nov. 10 2010 10:53 AM
Mike from Manhattan

RLewis makes an interesting point with his Steve Jobs comparison, but one he doesn't appreciate. Apple fired Steve Jobs in the early 90's and hired John Scully, a person with no computer industry experience but with much "stronger management experience" at Pepsico. Scully's smart, cost cutting management almost destroyed Apple and it was only after a real computer industry expert and visionary, Steve Jobs, was hired as CEO that the company was turned around...not by "management" but by expertise, innovation and investment.

Nov. 10 2010 10:49 AM
Lisa from Brooklyn

My first thought was -- this is straight out of Orwell. Joel Klein goes to work for the Ministry of Truth and the Head Minister of Truth is now in charge of content and delivery systems.

However, after a good night's sleep, i have a more fair and balanced view of the same.

I don't think the NYC School System would be hurt by updating technology for the classroom.

I think if Ms./ Black is able to transform and adapt our curriculum to leverage the advantages and benefits of new technology we may be able to improve student achievement across a wide range of learning styles and income distributions.

think about it. content being delivered 24/7 via I-phones and droids. student can access and achieve the standards at the own pace...

it will revolutionize the education model by shattering walls of the brick and mortar classroom.

talk amongst yourselves. discuss.

Nov. 10 2010 10:47 AM
lisa from alphabet city from NY

all of the above! CB makes no sense! i can see the point about school is a business, but that's what a principal's job is. they run the business part of the school as well dealing with curriculum , students and teachers. it only makes sense to have a school administrator with lots of experience move into this position. but as someone wrote, the job was not posted on the DoE site and/or maybe noone with experience would even want it, knowing full-well they would only be banging their head against the wall.

Nov. 10 2010 10:46 AM
Mike from Manhattan

I agree with some other comments that this is sad. The aspect that I find most troubling about both Klein's regime and this new appointment is the mayor's apparent belief that the central problem with the schools in NYC--and by extension schools in the entire country--is one of poor management. There are severe difficulties within our educational system that are so serious they jeopardize the future of this country. But the most serious problems come from outside the educational system and result from abdications of responsibilities of other sectors of the government and the private sector, responsibilities which are then placed onto the education since they most directly affect children and young adults. Trying to "fix" children who are so psychologically damaged by poverty, the street culture, our immigration policies and other social problems that they come to school not able to learn, is like trying to keep the attention of children who come to school hungry by using a new smart board. It is like the captain of the Titanic trying to fix the hole in the side of the ship by applying another layer of caulking around the doors below decks.

Nov. 10 2010 10:41 AM
Mary from New York

This is just sad. As a parent with two kids in the public school system, I gave Klein and Bloomberg the benefit of the doubt in the beginning, but I have been massively disappointed. To be clear, I'm not disappointed with the schools that my children have attended, they have been great - but the dedicated professionals in these schools have done great work despite the DOE, rather than because of it.

The fact that Klein continues to speak of the "progress" under his leadership after the test scores have been revealed to be grossly inflated just speaks to his intellectual dishonesty and demonstrates that his main talent is an ability to spin.

Nov. 10 2010 10:34 AM
RLewis from bowery

Does Steve Jobs have to know how to build an ipad to be able to run Apple?

This "but she has no teaching experience" meme is just not rational.

Nov. 10 2010 10:32 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Oh my gosh...........she donated to Republicans !!!

She doesn't deserve to go near our precious children !!

Nov. 10 2010 10:28 AM
M.N. from Bronx

Shouldn't be worried about a stronger connection between the NYCDOE and the publishing industry, which certainly has played a role in pushing for more standardized tests and more pre-packaged curricula?

Nov. 10 2010 10:28 AM
Andrea from Brooklyn

I've worked at Hearst as a freelancer for about 7 years. What I saw was a permanantly stressed workforce, where interns filled in the gaps after staff reductions and investment in technology rather than workers was the solution. At Hearst, ad revenues determine the success of a publication. How does that apply to schools? In corporate matching grants? In test scores? Numbers numbers numbers... I was hoping for an educator, not another Joel "Xcel Sheet" Klein.

Nov. 10 2010 10:28 AM
Colleen Quinn

I'm just thrilled to see a woman step into such an important role. Ms. Black is now the most powerful woman educator in history!

Nov. 10 2010 10:27 AM
nyorker from nyc

If you want to be President it's nice to have friends in the media.

Nov. 10 2010 10:27 AM
Philip Tsai Design

Does Secretary of defenses needs to be a former member of amry ??

Nov. 10 2010 10:27 AM
David from New York

Surely the answer is to just write a job ad for the position and see if she fits it. That is, would she be short-listed for the position if there was an retained executive recruiter working on find a replacement? I'm kinda betting no, but what do I know?

Nov. 10 2010 10:27 AM
Noelle from Brooklyn

Cathleen Black should go on "Undercover Boss" -- she will get a real education in what she will be managing

Nov. 10 2010 10:24 AM
Brian from Hoboken

Running an enormous bureaucracy like the NYC schools requires tremendous management skills, not having a teaching certificate as the last caller mentioned. While Black cant step into a classroom tomorrow and teach, that teacher can't step in and run a huge business. Great managers can effect positive change and change the culture of an organization. Look at Alan Mullaly who was not a "car guy" coming from Boeing to run a culturally dysfunctional Ford. Now look at where Ford is now. School systems like NYC and their union deathgrips have screwed upcultures and she can change this.

Nov. 10 2010 10:24 AM
RJ from prospect heights

I'm a bit flabbergasted that Klein is getting credit for improved graduation rates, and that he is allowed to use those numbers ("use," that is, without reporters' challenge) as a counterweight to the finally recognized failures of the dumbed-down tests. Of course graduation rates would be improved when they're based on inflated test scores. His failures are profound in his emphasis on slash and burn pseudo "evaluations" and testing, and our children are suffering for it. (And somehow it seems appropriate that he's moving on to a Rupert Murdoch-owned corporation.)

Nov. 10 2010 10:23 AM
Sonia from Brooklyn

Education is not "business" as usual, nor will it be improved by someone as far removed from the people of NYC as Mr. Bloomberg is himself. The NYC city school system is in desperate need of radical reform on the level of pedagogy, teacher to student ratio, as well as the means for evaluating the progress of students and staff alike. What does Ms Black have to offer with respect to any of these issues? Rich folks in charge of the rest of us again. THanks Mikey.

Nov. 10 2010 10:21 AM
Lorena from Park Slope

My wife and I are thinking about having kids for the first time. We basically assume that we'll be forced to moved to Westchester or Fairfield once our child reaches school age. From talking to other parents, I believe the No. 1 cause of so-called "white flight" from the inner city is the school system: we would rather uproot and leave than have to deal with it.

Nov. 10 2010 10:21 AM
IC from New York

Bloomberg seems to believe only successful big time business leaders far removed from the average joe is capable of running the world correctly. If that is indeed the case, why bother having our children pursue anything but business in this world? And someone without any inkling to the horrors of public education but full of the precociousness and impatience of the business world?

Nov. 10 2010 10:20 AM
Robert from NYC

Great, she's a terrific manager and gives great parties. But aren't there terrific managers in the field of education? Got the point yet?
Oh she gives gifts too. Yes she's connected with people by paying them off with gifts. What does that really say about her management skills?

Nov. 10 2010 10:20 AM
Ken from Little Neck

Like everybody else, I'm dismayed and appalled by Mayor Bloombergs complete disregard for the education of our children. If I were starting a publishing company, I'm sure Ms. Black would be an exemplary choice, but education is not a business, no matter how much the mayor wants it to be.

Nov. 10 2010 10:19 AM
Troy

What I didn't get was Bloomberg saying "what this is about is....jobs, jobs, jobs." Is that right? Isn't it about educating kids?

Nov. 10 2010 10:18 AM
Colleen from Brooklyn

WOW! I thought I was asked to evaluate the JOB that has been done, not reflect upon politics as other posters seem to have done. Education is actually a business, not an art or a theory. The last near-decade in NYC education has shown how much more flexible and how many more improvements for the kids you can put into a system when it is RUN with a focus. Look at how many charters, exploring so many subjects, are now offered! I never had such choice. Look at all the improvements in reading & math levels, lower school crime stats, cleaner schools. We need more managers in education, not administrators who hand out free parking permits because it makes them a nice guy/gal.

Nov. 10 2010 10:18 AM
RLewis from bowery

@ Michele - are you really quoting Dick Cheney? Come on.

The system is just too big for a teacher to manage. Let them teach. Let a business person run a system that is bigger than a lot of cities.

Nov. 10 2010 10:18 AM
Felicia from Harlem

Her expertise is in generating capital. How on earth does this generate into effectively educating students? Into reducing educational inequality?

Nov. 10 2010 10:17 AM
Leonard Mainor from New York

This will prove to be an embarrassment similar to the lack of affordable health care in our society, that our educational system could be headed by someone with no experience whatsoever.

Nov. 10 2010 10:17 AM
jennifer from nyc

What does it matter if she has education experience? How recently did someone in this position have such experience? It is a big money position and someone is merely needed to put a name plate on the desk, collect the monster salary, and "oversee" a broken process which runs in its ineffectual way and will continue to do so.
My kid attended PS 6, big money district, lots of parents who could afford to put their kids inprivate schools, and we were STILL encouraged at PTA meetings to "liberate" copy paper and supplies from our offices for the school if we could. Where is the money?
It's a broken corrupt administrative money grab for bigwigs, just like the MTA and ALL construction contracts.

Nov. 10 2010 10:16 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit

Her main focus should be to smash the unions into smithereens......only then will education improve.

Nov. 10 2010 10:16 AM
Dana Archer-Rosenthal from Brooklyn

All of my other gripes about Black's appointment aside (corporate background, no education experience, sends her kids to private school), I think it is really offensive of her to ask parents of NYC public school students to be patient with her as she "gets up to speed" on everything related on education in NYC. I think it reveals a real tone-deafness on her part. NYC public school parents are sick of waiting. They don't want or need someone who needs a crash course in what is going on in the NYC schools.

Nov. 10 2010 10:16 AM
jyllian from new york

I'm less concerned with her lack of experience in education and more concerned that she is behind magazines like Seventeen and Cosmopolitan which promote such awful messages to young people.

Nov. 10 2010 10:15 AM
Arthur from UES

The school system is drowning in its own administrative bureaucracy. It needs someone to manage it. They have plenty of high ranking staff who can deal with the pedagogical side of the school system.

They need a dynamic leader to make the system more effective.

Nov. 10 2010 10:14 AM
Eliza from nyc

I agree that we need to have educators run the department of education, but they also need a strong background in business. That is why we need to push more for interdisciplinary degrees.

Although Klein had his limitations, his accomplishment should be noted. He pushed strongly to use real data instead of "what feels good" (although he was a bit misguided in how to use the data-- such as test scores). But his accomplishment should not be overlooked.

Nov. 10 2010 10:13 AM
michele from nyc

WHy would Bloomberg choose someone with NO teaching experience??!

Much less any experience in the arena of public education???

I am so tired of these a$%holes scapegoating teachers for all of society's dysfunction and claiming that we should treat public education like a corpration!

Guess what, if an employee does a bad job in the corporate world he/she gets fired! Can we fire students??? NO. Stop blaming teachers for everything thats wrong with kids these days and take a look around, its our SOCIETY that's gone wrong, teachers are the last people on the front lines left fighting......

Way to "leave your soldiers on the battlefield" Bloomberg, thanks...

Nov. 10 2010 10:13 AM
dba from nyc

What hypocrasy! Bloomberg et al disparage teachers for not being sufficiently qualified -- yet she is allowed to ask for patience in order to "get up to speed".

But not surprising since this is the continued attempt to destroy public education.

Nov. 10 2010 10:12 AM
Susan from NYC

What you get from media moguls is the ability to spin. Klein and Bloomberg touted their brilliant improvements in the schools based solely on test scores, until we found the emperors had no clothes--it was all faked by dumbing down the tests. Ask yourself whether you would hire your surgeon from amongst media moguls who had never picked up a scalpal.

Nov. 10 2010 10:12 AM
D2Parent from Manhattan

two observations

1. Klein to Murdoch shows the Berlosconi like nature of the so called "choice" mantra in education.

2 Where is State Ed Commissioner Steiner on this? Can some hard hitting journalists ask him if he's really going to give a waiver to this Ms Black?

Can some hard hitting journalists ask Speaker Silver and Gov elect Cuomo and Gov Patterson how they feel if Steiner is really rolling over on this?

After eight years of ideaologically driven failure do our kids need more?

Nov. 10 2010 10:03 AM
Bruce from Teaneck, NJ

I am an unemployed attorney and just applied for a position as a substitute teacher. I am nervous that I won't be considered for a subsitute teacher position because I have not taught high school in more than 18 years. Gees. Had I known, I would have applied for the Chancellor's position where my lack of experience wouldn't have been a liability!!

Nov. 10 2010 10:00 AM
ellen from Brooklyn

As a parent with two children in the NYC public schools, I am furious about this appointment. I certainly recognize the need for some with strong managerial skills who respects the use of (multiple) assessment measures. I also understand that Black is a very accomplished woman. However, the idea that someone with zero educational experience is qualified to run the NYC schools is insulting to parents, teachers, and--most off all--students. Would we appoint someone with no military experience to head the military? Is there anything we can do about this besides signing petitions. Is anyone organizing a protest?

Nov. 10 2010 09:46 AM
Robert from NYC

History will show just how much this Mayor has brought down this city or rather sold it to developers and handed over the education system to corporate money, once among the best public education systems in the country now on the way to becoming another business opportunity for the rich and indifferent to all but their own needs.
How's that for a run on sentence, stream of consciousness-or in my case unconsciosness!

Nov. 10 2010 09:41 AM
Esteban from Brooklyn

Cathie Black needs a waiver from the State Education department to run NYC schools because she has zero education experience.

Please sign this petition to deny the waiver and insist that responsibility for teaching 1.1 million students is in the hands of an educator.

Psst. Pass it on.

Nov. 10 2010 09:28 AM
Brian

Never attended public school, never sent her children to public school, no education experience. Is this the best best we can do?

Nov. 10 2010 09:24 AM
Evelyn Friedman from Brooklyn

All of the above. A sad shame. Next, expect branding. No longer P.S. Whatever, it will be "The Hearst Charter School," "The Coca-Cola School for Highest Test Scores," "The Race To The Top Corporate Ladder Academy." Because obviously education is a "race."
Will this pendulum finally swing?

Nov. 10 2010 08:15 AM

Another non-educator as the Chancellor of DOE? What could possibly go wrong? It's not like she doesn't have inside-out knowledge of implementing differentiated project-based learning with performance based assessment for teenagers with multi-modality and possible LDs .... right? Right? Ugh...

Nov. 09 2010 11:37 PM
dnsfdz from Brooklyn, NY

While I respect Cathie Black as a very capable business woman, I don't think she is in any way appropriate for NYC schools chancellor. Furthermore, it is an insult to teachers, as well as all students within our city's system to pretend that she is qualified in any way.

Nov. 09 2010 11:35 PM
V. Borock from NY NY

The mayor's blatant lack of respect for the competence of NY City's teachers is both insulting and shameful. Hiring chancellors that do not have a clue about education is outrageous! Does he hire an accountant to do his dental work??

Nov. 09 2010 10:37 PM
Jeff from New York

I agree with the other commenters. This is another Chancellor who will need a waiver from the state in order to take her post. She is eminently unqualified to lead the system as was Mr. Klein. They have put statistics and systems management over people and possibilities.

Nov. 09 2010 09:06 PM
Jen Zunt from UWS, NYC

I am a very involved parent in our public school and in the District and I think it is outrageous that a new person has been appointed who not only sent her own children to private school but has absolutely no experience herself in education. To top if off, she and Mayor Bloomberg "promise" 100 more charter schools. Public school parents do not want more charter schools: we want equitable support for all the existing public schools. Every year the administration spends ridiculous amounts of money on new testing and assessment tools while the schools lose out on teachers, art, music....everything that really counts. I'm very disappointed, to say the least.

Nov. 09 2010 08:01 PM
Luis from Lower East Side

In talking to many of my colleagues in education, prior to the resignation of Joel Klein and even before he was appointed by this major, the comments were generally focused on Major Bloomberg, he is the "millionaire major" and not surprisingly he continues to appoint more of his friends to serve and work with people who they have no idea how to serve them and what their needs and priorities are.

Nov. 09 2010 07:37 PM
Sheldon Teicher from Forest Hills

This appointment is yet another example of the disregard that this mayor has for the people of New York. It would have been a breath of fresh air if he had, imagine this,appointed a professional educator to this vital position.But then our professional "amateur" could not fathom the idea of getting someone in there who actually knew what they are doing.

Nov. 09 2010 05:53 PM