Keith Olbermann is a partisan Democrat? Well, my word! Get the couches out because people are fainting from surprise. Not bigger than the surprise that anyone would consider Olbermann a "reporter," of course, but that kind of shocking information is hard to top.
A reporter though he may not be, Keith Olbermann needs to go. Here are the simple reasons why:
1. He's a total hypocrite. His disgusting misogynistic and racist comments weren't enough to get him dropped from MSNBC, but perhaps his blatant hypocrisy on donations by media will. In August, he railed against Fox News for donating money to the Republican party. This was specifically odd because NBC and MSNBC donate heavily to Democrats. Now Olbermann has been caught doing the same thing he decried — mixing the business of news and politics. No one who has ever watched more than four minutes of his show would be surprised to learn his political leanings, but to support those leanings with donations while criticizing others for doing the same, that's just wrong.
2. He broke his station's ethical guidelines. Michelle Malkin notes "Unlike Fox News...NBC ethics guidelines (yes, they do have them) bar their employees from making political contributions." Either NBC has guidelines that must be followed or they don't, there's no two ways to see this.
3. He's a total hypocrite, part 2. Many conservatives who oppose the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law do so because they believe campaign contributions to be the same as speech. Keith Olbermann disagrees with this. In fact, he called the Supreme Court overturning part of the law, "Supreme Court sanctioned murder of what little democracy is left." Too bad for him. If more people believed that contributions were a form of speech, MSNBC probably wouldn't have the guidelines they have against giving money to candidates. After all, Olbermann makes no secret of who he supports, why shouldn't he be able to put his money where his big mouth is?
4. His ratings are in the basement. There's some level of surprise that MSNBC has taken this step. Especially since Olbermann has previously done things like use his blog to fundraise for Democrats. It can't be that MSNBC was unaware of his ethical problems before Friday. More likely, his ethical problems coupled with his poor ratings is what caused them to act. Olbermann's show is in third place during his time slot among the cable news networks. Problem is, that's third of four.
5. He's a joke. He makes MSNBC a joke. His political opponents are always as bad as the Nazis or Al Qaeda. His "worst person in the world" segment elevates people who dare disagree with him to mass murderers. This is not a serious thinker, this is not a serious man. MSNBC needs to decide if it wants to remain unserious, with "reporters" who get a thrill up their leg when their favorite candidate speaks and make unfunny jokes about women being bags of meat with lipstick on. This is their chance to move on from the hateful Olbermann era. They should take it.
Born in the Soviet Union and raised in Brooklyn, Karol Markowicz is a public relations consultant in NYC and a veteran of Republican campaigns in four states. She blogs about politics at Alarming News and about life in the city with her husband and baby at 212 Baby. She can be followed on Twitter.