Please Explain: Running

Friday, November 05, 2010

The New York City Marathon is this Sunday, and thousands of runners will be racing through all five boroughs. On today's Please Explain, we'll find out what’s involved with completing the marathon’s 26.2 miles. David Willey, Editor-in-Chief of Runner's World magazine and Charlie Butler, executive editor of Runner's World and co-author of The Long Run: A New York City Firefighter's Triumphant Comeback from Crash Victim to Elite Athlete, join us now to talk about how runners race, train, deal with injuries, and how regular people can start running for exercise.

Charlie Butler and David Willey

amomrunningsensless from sunset park

Great segment, I am new to running and training for my first half marathon. I found this segment super helpful, glad to hear your guests consider yoga so beneficial for runners.

Nov. 15 2010 04:56 PM
Net from NY

NYRR - please allow more access to the race to citizens of the US.

Nov. 06 2010 01:59 AM
Breea

I a walk/runner more walker in the hills of englewood/tenafly area. how can I keep my knees healthy I been told that concrete is terrible for your joints. I hope as a walker you won't feel your wasting your time to respond.
thk you

Nov. 05 2010 03:39 PM
Linda from Basking Ridge, NJ

I've done two long distance runs and after both, experienced horrible "stomach problems". How does this relate to distance running and what can be done to prevent it?

Nov. 05 2010 01:57 PM
Amy from Manhattan

There *are* people who shouldn't run a marathon, or run at all. I have an early-stage spinal condition & have been told I shouldn't run. I only found this out as an incidental finding from a test for something else. But some people walk the marathon, so that's an alternative.

Nov. 05 2010 01:56 PM
Deck from Brooklyn, NY

Leonard,
I ran the NY marathon (my first and only thus far). Two pieces of advice for first time marathon runners.
(1) As silly as it might sound, take the duct tape being passed out at before the race begins, Sharpie your name on a strip, and attach it to the front of your shirt. The spectators cheer you on by name and by mile 18 or 20, it really makes a difference!
(2) Males, consider taping up your nipples. In the colder weather, chaffing, and associated irritation, can cause misery!
Best of luck to all the first timers!!!

Nov. 05 2010 01:53 PM
jeff from greenpoint

Any info about those new "toe shoes" that people use for "barefoot" running? Someone told me they are good for marathons.

Nov. 05 2010 01:49 PM
:Danielle

Hey Leonard!
You've talked about a lot of important stuff, but it’s forgetting something huge that you need to do before you even get dressed: Write your name on your shirt!

This way, the spectators can cheer for you specifically. My favoritest part of marathon spectating is seeing the boost that happens when a runner hears their name as they run by. You will get bonus cheers for costumes, wigs, and any kind of national insignia on your person.

Spread the word runners- Write your name on your shirt!!!

As usual, we will have our cheering section popping off just before Mile 9. If you’re tired of running, you are welcome to come by for a waffle.

Nov. 05 2010 01:47 PM
Lonnie Hanauer, MD

As a physician, I cannot accept the statement "It is OK to run 20-22 miles 2 weeks before the race, but don't run 26." Is there scientific evidence that 22 miles has any advantage or disadvantage vs. 26 (or 18 or 30)? Control studies???

Nov. 05 2010 01:44 PM
Mike from bronx

If the body essentially runs out of all fuel and is over the point of exhaustion at about 20 miles, why go the extra 6 miles ?

Nov. 05 2010 01:42 PM
kp from nj

How much farther than 26.2 miles could a person run? Could (has) someone ever run 50 miles at once?

Nov. 05 2010 01:42 PM
amanda

Runners World book "The runner's body" de bunks the myth that cramps are caused by dehydration.
Also, over hydration is a much worse problem - it's what kills people running marathons more than anything else

Nov. 05 2010 01:41 PM
Laura Galbraith

how do you prevent rib cramps? like right under your lungs... am i not stretching right? I get these all the time, and the only way i can get rid of them is to walk for a little.. and then start running again after its gone..

Nov. 05 2010 01:40 PM
Tom from Toronto

Also - DO NOT drink too much. There are a number of well known cases of people dying due to the mantra of "keep drinking and hydrating".

Nov. 05 2010 01:39 PM
Diana

This is my 5th NYC marathon. Despite what the speaker said, my biggest word of advice is to watch how fast you go out. NYRR has done so well at organizing the start that you can easily run out a full 2 minutes faster per mile than you meant to, and that's uphill! That will hurt at mile 20!

Nov. 05 2010 01:38 PM
JT from Long Island

If you train up to a marathon what can you do to maintain that level to run other marathons?

Nov. 05 2010 01:37 PM
janny from jersey city

I have to say, the first thought that popped in to my head was, please explain...why someone would want to run 26.2 miles...:)

Nov. 05 2010 01:36 PM
janny from jersey city

Nov. 05 2010 01:36 PM
Emily Anne

This is my third NYC marathon, 7th overall marathon. Bib number 25-197. I'll be wearing a blue NYPD shirt (yellow letters), with my name on it (also yellow letters). Spectators make the NYC marathon what it is. Thanks for cheering!

Nov. 05 2010 11:55 AM
Eric Olson from prospect heights

I am Eric Olson #3 in my marathon debut! I wonder who the other Eric Olson's are? I am 28, male, from MN shooting for a 3:15 goal at 5:30 miles..

Nov. 05 2010 11:51 AM