Claudia, The Single Mom

Friday, November 05, 2010

For nearly 20 years, Claudia has enjoyed a celebrated career performing with the pop band The Magnetic Fields. These days, she has taken on a wildly ambitious side project: single motherhood.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Babette Albin from Queens

Being a first-time grandmother is the greatest!
Having three grown daughters with only one married,
is a challenge. I want to be loving and accepting
of their choices. I was interested to hear Claudia's
statement. It was terrific and so honest.

I skype with my grand-daughter since she lives in Toronto.
I am going to sent them your video. By all means reach out
to the community - and share your doubts and anxieties.
When I was growing up these were private but today we realize
just how valuable our feelings are!

I am sending you my love and wishes for you continued happliness.
Many thanks for Jennifer Chu (the producer/director?) for a great job!

Mar. 01 2012 10:53 PM
c from from c

That baby has the cutest hair ever!

Oct. 24 2011 08:29 PM
Alexis in Harlem from NYC

Wow, Tom, sounds like you need to chill! Or get some recognition, somewhere else. (Maybe make a call to your mom and say thank you.)

Howdy Claudia, Adrienne, and Jennifer! Sister-travelers in the production of new civilians! Challenging doesn't even begin to cover it. This past election day, one again public schools were closed for kids so that grownups could vote, leaving approximately 2 million parents to come up with individual child care solutions. Crazy, right? Parents need low-cost options to make the challenges less onerous. Good luck out there, NYC parents and kids!

Nov. 09 2010 07:07 AM
Jennifer

I am a single mother and trust me there is nothing boring or dull about it. I love my daughter more than anything; however being a single mom is one of the most challenging things I have ever taken on in my life.

You should try it Tom

Nov. 08 2010 09:16 AM
Adrienne from park slope

There is nothing boring about motherhood, as many of us know...single moms and moms with partners...there is not a dull moment...we dream of having a dull moment....looks like tom from NY has not had the pleasure to experience this.

Nov. 05 2010 12:08 PM
tom from NY

Who??? Hear that? That's the the sounds of obscurity...

Her obscure past does nothing to make her boring choice to be a single mom any more exciting...

Nov. 05 2010 10:03 AM

Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.

Sponsored

About Know Your Neighbor

Know Your Neighbor is a video series about the characters, legends, and good folk living in your midst.

Nominate your neighbor: I'm looking to profile fascinating people in every corner of the city. Leave a comment or email jhsu@wnyc.org about someone you'd like me to profile, and I just may come to your 'hood to produce a video about their story.

Feeds