Open Phones: Your 30-Second Postcard for Governor-Elect Cuomo

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Listeners, call in with your 30-second message to Governor-Elect Andrew Cuomo.

Alan from Madison Square

Michael D.D. White... has it right! Do something, anything, to stop the Atlantic Yards/Barclay Center boondoggle in its tracks.

Nov. 04 2010 01:40 AM
Steve from Staten Island from SI

Don't cave into the unions, and cut out hose gilded pensions in upcoming negotiations

Nov. 03 2010 09:54 PM
Brian Flanagan from Brooklyn 11232

My comment/question is a piggybacking on the first thing you said, Brian, at the top of this segment (I listened via podcast so I was unable to call in).

I voted for Mr. Cuomo yesterday, but to be honest I felt like I was voting with the wool pulled over my eyes. In compliment to the NYTimes, observation, I endorsed Cuomo, but I was highly, highly disappointed with his campaign. Would I vote for Mr. Palidino? No. But he wanted to debate and made himself and his perspectives heard.

I’m highly disappointed that Cuomo did not do more to speak about what he represented, seemed to avoid reporters, interviews, and dialogues, and I feel I was cheated as a voter. I hate to admit that I made much of my decision based on any combination of the three things: a “lesser of [2] evils”; his dad was a governor, so he probably knows stuff; he was elected to be the Attorney General – that must speak for something, right?; he didn’t say much, so in fact he didn’t say anything too stupid; He’s going to win the election anyway, so…; etc.

I’ve lived here, by way of Minnesota, since 2006, but this was my first time to vote for the NYS Governor. I do not like that I feel uninformed based on much of the clear dodging he did.

Like you, Brian, I would love to hear him sit for an interview with you. Even now that he’s in the position, it would be nice to hear him say where he stands on situations, on how he feels about his state, his performance as AG, how he feels about Spitzer’s and Patterson’s performances as Gov (and with what sort of tact he will handle those questions).

Good luck, Brian. Thanks for your work!

Nov. 03 2010 03:24 PM
Matt Lanna from Millwood, New York

Thank you, Andrew, for being an educated, articulate, thoughtful and compassionate New Yorker and American, and not the brash, coarse, stereotyped Italian-American personality which your opponent was glad to flaunt, revealing his ignorance and rigidity.

Look for guidance from your father who exhibited all the best qualities of having an Italian-American background.

From an American who benefited from having Italian ancestors and an education at Brooklyn College.

Nov. 03 2010 11:27 AM
Phil Henshaw from way uptown

Andrew, Congratulations. The real problem is to find the real problem.

As a systems scientist, I think the real problem is that nearly everyone is dangerously fooling themselves by thinking there's some trick we can use to get our habit of burning up the earth ever faster going again. There are not spare resources for everyone on earth who caught onto that concept of prosperity.

The fact of that indicates that we've made a large cultural error in thinking, and so bringing everyone's emotional fear level toward a state of panic, and leaving the door open to attack politics exploiting or natural real fears regarding the bind we are really in.

We DO need to stop building complex systems we won't be able to maintain,... so we can continue to improve them over time with a sustainable economy.

We ALSO need to face the fact that doing that violates all the principles of finance, ... and see the necessity of getting to the bottom of that, and how we made that false guidance our standard for success.

Nov. 03 2010 11:10 AM
Murielle from Valley stream

I'm a conservative democrat and a state employee. I voted for you and congratulate you. I hope you don't layoff state employees just to be popular. We deliver valuable and needed services, and for most, this is the only job we have.

Nov. 03 2010 11:08 AM
April Wolff from UWS

This is a thirty second post card for Gov elect Cuomo: Be brave. Raise taxes on Wall St.

Nov. 03 2010 11:06 AM

A tepid congratulations (even though he got my vote). Considering that he said almost nothing of substance during the campaign, one can only hope he will reveal his agenda and policies soon. And good luck with the legislature.

Nov. 03 2010 11:01 AM
Kevin L. from Brooklyn, NY

Postcard to Cuomo:

Don't be afraid to make the tough decisions and stand strong and principled against your own party when you need to.

Nov. 03 2010 11:01 AM
Mark

Who are these people who think Cuomo is going to stop hydro-fracking? He's sponsored by the Koch Brothers.

Nov. 03 2010 11:00 AM
Mike

How about this simple one. Reduce/elimiante the fees that the real estate brokers charge to show an apartment. Does the person that shows me an apartment for 2 minutes and take an aplication really do $1500 worth of work. This is a complete rip off, we, the average NYers are getting screwed averytime we go to rent an apartment.

Nov. 03 2010 10:58 AM
Jane from Narrowsburg

Please NO FRACKING in Sullivan County. OUR REAL ESTATE HAS GONE DOWN because of the fracking potential.
Take a look at PA We will lose with fracking. All our property value is going down. Do not let the gas company poison us.
With thanks,
Jane

Nov. 03 2010 10:54 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

Show that the campaign contributions Cuomo received from Forest City Ratner didn’t mean anything and that Cuomo is not beholden to real estate interests by investigating Atlantic Yards and terminating Forest City Ratner’s exclusive 40-year monopoly to develop 30 contiguous acres over Brooklyn’s key subway lines.

Michael D. D. White
Noticing New York

Nov. 03 2010 10:52 AM
me

Postcard to Cuomo:
I need a job. Where do I send my resume?

Nov. 03 2010 10:48 AM