Favorite Recipes from Our Cookie Swap
Wednesday, December 08, 2010
Submitted by Diane Taros
l cup flour
2 Tbsp. confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
l tsp. almond extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Crumb together the first 3 ingredients. Pat into bottom of a well greased brownie pan (10 3/4 in. x 7 in.) Bake 10 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients and spread on top. Continue baking for another 15 - 20 minutes. Cool. Cut into squares then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. 24 pieces
Italian Sprinkle Cookies
Submitted by Kara Lawlor (her blog: www.happywhennothungry.wordpress.com)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tbsp plus 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1.5 tsp almond extract
1 tsp lemon extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup warm milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy, about 5 minutes, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar, and baking powder. On low speed, gradually beat in shortening and extracts until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
4. Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).
5. Roll dough into 1" balls and place 2" apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 6. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk, and extracts until smooth (Add additional sugar to make frosting thicker).
8. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly dip into the glaze and place on wire racks to drain.
9. Immediately top with sprinkles. 10. Let dry completely before storing in airtight containers.
Yield: About 3.5 dozen
Diamants ( Diamond Studded Circles)
Submitted by Simone Mogul
Colored sugars (green, red, purple, yellow, etc.)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup of soft butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
pinch of salt
Mix sugar and butter together till creamy. add vanilla add flour and salt. Do not overmix and roll dough into logs. Into the frig. Remove logs from frig and paint with egg yolk and roll on plate of colored sugar. Refrig again. Cut into thin circles and bake in hot oven 400 till the bottom of cookie is golden brown about 10 minutes.
I make dozens of holiday cookies for family all over the U.S. in holiday tins. These cookies provide alot of color and taste great and are easy to make. Others cookies in the repetoir include Chocolate Cracks, Pizzels, Orange Cranberry Oatmeal,Ginger, Thumb Prints.
Austrian Chocolate Balls
Submitted by Marilyn Wilson
Melt carefully: 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 1/3 cup butter.
1 cup sugar
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 and 1/3 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Form into 3/4-in. balls on ungreased cookie sheet (1 in. apart).
Bake at 350 deg. for 8-11 min (until firm to touch). Do not overbake.
After taking cookie sheet out of oven, remove cookies immediately.
Dip into frosting (or spread on).
Frosting (enough for double batch):
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 Tbs. butter
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2-3 Tbs. milk