Intern and Volunteer with the Brian Lehrer Show
The Brian Lehrer Show is accepting applications from people interested in helping out with the production of the program. You can volunteer directly with the show, or join the formal internship program administered through WNYC. Volunteers pitch in two days a week for three to four months at the WNYC offices in New York City. There is a small daily stipend. Internships are available to those currently or recently enrolled in school, and past interns have received academic credit.
- Some journalism and office experience is preferred, but not required
- Applicants should be highly motivated self-starters who can work in an environment of live news radio
- Applicants should be aware of news and political affairs in New York and beyond
- Website production skills (including basic html) are a welcome addition; please note them in your cover letter
Assist with all aspects of the show's production, including:
- Checking in with guests
- Pitching ideas
- Providing research assistance and basic audio editing
- Daily website and social media content maintenance
- Performing various menial tasks that are essential to the daily running of the office
How to Apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading "BLS Volunteer" with answers to the following questions:
- Describe two of your favorite BLS segments, and why you liked them. (Previous shows are archived on the website.)
- Describe a subject area or neighborhood that you think doesn’t get enough coverage on the show.
- Suggest two story ideas for the BLS, from this week’s news. (One short paragraph each) Feel free to suggest a guest or guests.
- What other shows do you listen to / websites do you visit regularly?
Please check the WNYC jobs database at http://www.wnyc.org/careers/listings/ for listings and follow the instructions there.
Any questions about the application process may also be sent to email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of submissions, we are able to respond only to the candidates selected for interview. We appreciate your interest in employment with WNYC.
WNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.