Steve Clemons, Washington editor at large for The Atlantic, discusses what's come out of the Arab League and Friends of Syria meetings -- plus the Islamists' influence in Egypt.
I was paraphrasing the Clinton slogan: "it's the economy, stupid"
My solution? Defend allies that share our core values----like israel. Stop disarming our military, as Obama is doing. Stop caving in to our enemies, like obama is doing with Russia and Turkey and others.
Domestically, enact some proposed congressional bills that would constitutionally limit political indoctrination of children in madrasas----political islam and sharia, that is. Do not permit islamists to immigrate or obtain visas to the US. Same as we did with communists. except it would be easier to show that sharia is seditious.
You're immediate resorting to name calling is telling. Don't like the argument so attack the arguer. What are you, like five?
Just listen to the Republican primaries for 5 minutes and you'll realize there's quite a few practitioners of "western religions" who haven't made peace with either modernity or secularism, let alone gender equality.
Incidentally, I there are things to be worried about with the MB and other religious groups. But what's your grand American solution? Dictators propped up by American money and guns?
your moral equivalence is showing. IT'S ABOUT THE IDEOLOGY, STUPID. Not the methodology.
Western religions made peace with modernity and secularism. Mainstream Islam has not. Sharia is inconsistent with secular government. indeed, it's an insurectionist to our constitution. you can start with non freedom of conscience, and end with non gender quality.
This seems like deja vu. These points seem to have mirror images with some Christian groups on:
(1) abortion and gay rights issues, among others in the government discourse, where the religious Right wants to Ban and Criminalize these acts. (2) the South, and center. You can pretty much look at an election color chart and see where people are going to favor adding their interpretation of the Bible to the law.
(3) Mormons, Evangelicals, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses...don't they have a presence in colleges and proselytize and all have missionaries working in foreign countries to convert people?
Is the MB more like Al Qaeda as you surmise, or is it actually more like the religious Right here in America but without the strong well established secular opposition that exists?
Clemens learned nothing coming from that lunatic liberal thinktank. The Brotherhood is indeed considered too moderate by many other jihadist-----THE VIOLENT JIHADISTS!!
But what Clemens cant fathom is that there's absolutely no difference between al qaeda, for example, and the MB. They both want world-run under sharia and a caliphate. The only difference is that the MB doesnt favor violent jihad where muslims are in the minority in a Western democracy.
WHY? Because the violence isnt necessary. Stealth jihad accomplishes the same end result:
(1) gradually make sharia rules more acceptable gradually, though civil rights activism. One examples: The well-planned Rye Playland rollercoaster incident. Taking school children to visit mosques. Filing religious descrimination lawsuits----like the "Flying Imams" who intentionally acted suspiciously on that airplane.
(2) though demographic change. immigration, for example. 80 percent of Dearborn MI Muslims favor sharia.
(3) Proseletizing in schools, colleges, prisons, community outreach
Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm
your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the
right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the
Comment Guidelines before
By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's
It's your neighborhood, your city, your country, your world, and now your website. Brian Lehrer delves into the issues and links them to real life.