Sheera Frenkel, correspondent for NPR and The Times of London in Jerusalem, joins from Israel to talk about protests and political news from the country.
Another reason for land shortage in Israel is that since 1948, the number of Arabs living in ISrael, Judah, Samaria and Gaza has risen from 1.2 million to 5.5 million today. The Jewish population has risen from 0.6 million to nearly 6 million today as well. The overall combined population of both Jews and Arabs rose from 1.8 million to about 11.5 million in the last 63 years.
Virtually every inch of "American land" was stolen from the scores of native American "indian" nations here. By contrast, all "state lands" and "wastelands" were assigned to the sovereignty of the Jewish people by the Council of League of Nations in the Mandate given to Britain in 1922!
In addition, 7% of the area of Palestine was also purchased from landowners by Jews and by the Jewish Agency. As for the other 93%, most of it was "wastelands" and "state lands" given for Jewish resettlement by the LEague. The amount of property left behind by Arab refugees in 1948 was less than 1/4 that left behind by the Jews who fled the Arab countries after 1948.
Congress will authorize free housing for all of Israel.
MAybe I should be an Israeli. I remember back in 1999 when the dot com losers ( now living in their parents basements) were leaping to pay 3k and up for 1k aparments, I fantasized about nyorkers swinging some of those once famous new york personal and social dignity. . Here are Israelis actually standing up for thselves. Ny can learn something here about standing up for ur selves.
So the Israelis are stealing land and then selling it to their own people? Priceless.
Chris from Brooklyn you are definitely on to something.
It is long past due for the United States to not be governed by Israel.
That umbilical cord should have been cut long ago.
A book recommendation related to Israel: "I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity."
Have a nice vacation!!
With all the issues facing this nation and this city, it would be almost criminal to elect a representative based on supporting a sovereign nation that's had over 60 years to get on its feet. Foreign aid is a fraction of a fraction of the national budget. Let's stop dickering over distraction issues!
Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm
your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the
right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the
Comment Guidelines before
By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's
It's your neighborhood, your city, your country, your world, and now your website. Brian Lehrer delves into the issues and links them to real life.