New York City has released its first-ever rating of how graduates of local teaching colleges do when they get into the classroom, and Department of Education officials said they were pleased with the results.
New York City educators took stock of their school test scores on Wednesday as news of the significant drop rippled across New York State's school districts. For many it was a milestone moment, marking a new way to assess students but one that reignited a familiar debate about the role of standardized testing in the classroom.
Want to know how your school survived this year's plummeting test scores? Find and compare scores here.
Test scores for New York City students plummeted this year, with 26.4 percent of third through eighth graders passing the English tests and 29.6 percent passing the math tests. Education officials tried to allay concerns, saying the tests created a new baseline that better reflects what students need to thrive.
The Daily News reported Thursday that the principal of P.S./M.S. 114 Belle Harbor removed The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian from the required reading list for incoming sixth graders after angry parents complained.
After more than 30 years as a teacher, Rafe Esquith, can offer plenty of words of wisdom and advice for other teachers coping with the overwhelming challenges of the classroom and beyond.
The Daily News took a close look at how much the city spends on students in each New York City school district and compared it to the four-year high school graduation rates.
A jury found George Zimmerman "not guilty" in the shooting of Trayvon Martin over the weekend. The reactions were passionate, with anger mixed with opinions about the legal case, gun laws and race. We explore ways to have "the talk" with children about the verdict.
"I'm there. I'm ready to work and nothing is coming through," said Sean McManamon, one of the teachers encountering delays in the city's new electronic scoring system. With teachers working overtime this weekend, education officials predict all the Regents exams will be scored by Monday.
Regents exams get underway on Tuesday. SchoolBook speaks to an expert from Inside Schools who helps us all understand this other class of state tests, and what they are all about.
Arvind Mahankali took home the top prize from the Scripps National Spelling Bee. His supporters at J.H.S. 74 were thrilled. Principal Armstrong said the eighth grader is a boy with wide interests who, after placing third two years in a row, was determined to nail it this year.
The IBO analysts have made sense of reams of numbers and graphs in their second survey of New York City schools data. One factoid: 83 percent of public school students in 2011-2012 were born in the United States while the remaining 17 percent hail from 197 other countries or territories. Another one: average class sizes increased in kindergarten through eighth grades by varying degrees. In first and second grade, it was about one student per class while seventh and eighth grades increased on average by 0.1 students per class.
Join the conversation on STEM education in New York City schools. That's science, technology, engineering and math in case you haven't heard all the buzz about STEM. What's the event's Twitter hashtag, you ask? #StemNYC
A series reported by Gotham Schools and the Hechinger Report offers context and analysis of the United Federation of Teachers, as its leaders face their own re-election prospects and the race for a new mayor. Hear our interview with one of the editors of the series.
Thanks to two parents who spotted problems with the gifted and talented scores, Pearson admitted it made major mistakes denying some students eligibility to the coveted programs. Education officials say they'll contact all affected families in the next 24 hours, and the deadline for applications has been pushed back to May 10.
"We love the idea of 'citizen science' and the fact that researchers around the world actually want help from students on real-world projects, so when we heard about this opportunity, right in our own backyard, we jumped on it," the editor of an online education blog said.
SchoolBook is going dark for the week of school vacation. But there's plenty of good reading and listening and commenting to be done on the site. To catch up on education news, see our suggestions.
The author of a new book about bullying said taking social capital away from the bullies is key to combating it. There is a lot schools can do to help, Emily Bazelon said, but parents need to do their part too.
A memory of a great teacher named Ms. Katz, recalled by U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor, sparked callers and online readers to name their own teachers who inspired them to think differently. Who is your Ms. Katz?