Arun Venugopal appears in the following:
Thursday, May 02, 2013
In this episode: They’re coming… before the 17-year cicadas emerge this spring, we talk with writer, musician, and philosopher David Rothenberg about his book Bug Music, which examines the connection between human music and insect noise.
Plus: Guitarist and songwriter Marnie Stern gives us an inside look into her apartment. And, WNYC reporter Arun Venugopal’s Micropolis series examines musicians who rehearse in their apartments — and the neighbors that live next to them.
Plus: A profile of this week's Check Ahead artist - the singer and songwriter Joshua James.
Also: The classically trained violinist and songwriter Marques Toliver showcases his compelling hybridized sound, where classical, pop, and R&B meet.
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
In the wake of the Boston bombings, Rep. Peter King has called for increased surveillance of the Muslim American community. He argued that monitoring of certain communities is nothing new.
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
In this episode of Micropolis, WNYC's Arun Venugopal ventures into the home of Michael, a transsexual prostitute and heroin addict -- and, as you can hear in the segment above -- given to baking cookies for her guests.
Thursday, March 28, 2013
In this latest episode of Micropolis, we explore the not-so-harmonious side of the New York musician's life, wherein one wrong chord can result in a knock on the door, a volley of abuse, and maybe even... MURDER.
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
To understand just how much America -- and it's ideas about gay rights and other issues -- continue to influence the rest of the world, it's worth watching a movie called English Vinglish, a Bollywood hit from last year, starring Indian screen legend Sridevi. Her character, Shashi, is visiting her sister in the U.S. for a few weeks, and starts taking English-language classes in Manhattan.
Thursday, March 14, 2013
Director Michel Gondry has worked with Bjork, Kanye West and Radiohead, as well as A-list actors like Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, but for his latest project, "The We and the I," he opted to cast a bunch of non-actors: regular kids living in the Bronx.
Sunday, February 17, 2013
Friday, February 08, 2013
For many people in the West, the word 'jihad' conjures up images of a violence and terror. WNYC Reporter Arun Venugopal investigates a campaign which aims to remind people that for most in the Islamic world, jihad means 'internal struggle.' Venugopal speaks with Ahmed Rehab, the man behind the campaign, as well as Columbia University Professor Adam Galinsky, and conservative pollster Frank Luntz.
Monday, January 28, 2013
There are plenty of film and TV productions shot in the 5 boroughs, but only so many that deal with complex mathematical equations or the Monty Hall probability puzzle.
Sunday, January 27, 2013
Bill de Blasio threw his hat in the mayoral ring Sunday, officially announcing his candidacy for the 2013 election before a crowd of supporters.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
More than a hundred Brooklyn residents and business owners attended a public meeting organized by the Environmental Protection Agency to address the proposed Superfund cleanup of the Gowanus Canal.
Monday, January 21, 2013
Why, in this era of foodie hordes, Instagramming their way across the five boroughs, do some Chinese restaurants in New York City still have double menus?
Sunday, January 20, 2013
On this Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, WNYC visits Morningside Heights to see how the neighborhood is marking the celebration - from bookstore displays to playground conversations.
Thursday, January 10, 2013
The brutal rape of a 23-year-old woman in New Delhi has prompted demonstrations and calls for legal reforms, but not just in India. In the latest Micropolis, Arun Venugopal examines how the uproar is resonating here.
Monday, December 24, 2012
Some hefty men dress up as Santa Claus because it’s a nice way to make a little extra cash, this time of year. But for others it's more a state of mind.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
In the wake of the Newtown shootings, legislative leaders are having intense discussions about the direction of gun control, but few of them or their aides are willing to speak on the record, or even return calls.
Friday, December 07, 2012
Just 51 percent of New Yorkers speak only English at home, according to recent data from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey. As for the other 49 percent, well, the languages span the globe.
Thursday, December 06, 2012
Thursday, December 06, 2012
The newest New Yorkers are doing pretty well and many of them are moving into high-priced parts of Manhattan, like the West Village, Tribeca and midtown, mostly from other states.
Sunday, November 25, 2012
Before they hit the stage, Broadway actors can often be found cocooned in their makeup rooms. But, what exactly do they do in there?