Arun Venugopal is a reporter and the creator of Micropolis, WNYC’s multi-platform series examining race, sexuality, religion, street life and other issues that define New York City. He has been with the station since 2005, and has covered a wide range of stories, including the death of Sean Bell, the controversy over the Park 51 mosque and community center and Occupy Wall Street .
Times Sq. Hotel Ranked Among America's Filthiest
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 11:49 AM
Hotel Carter, ranked the No. 4 dirtiest hotel in the U.S., has made the annual survey of the nation's top 10 filthiest hotels for the fifth time in six years, according to TripAdvisor's Dirtiest Hotels 2011.
The Times Sq. hotel may not have made the top spot on the list as it has regularly in the past, but it overwhelms the competition when it comes to negative reviews. A solid two-thirds of the 1,061 reviewers on the travel site describe the hotel as "terrible."
Some of the more impassioned entries:
- "The rooms at this hotel are gross! They are dirty, umkept [sic], they reek of who knows what ... the bathrooms are disgusting: they are old and tiny. We complained and got "upgraded" to a nicer looking bedroom, yet a whole piece of wall was missing next to the air conditioning so we froze to death for several nights."
- "BLACK MOLD in the showers, BLOOD on the bed and RATS scratching ALLLL NIGHT.The light fixture was just a light bulb dangling by a couple wires and there was a HUGE hole in the night stand."
- "i cried real tears when i first saw our room on the 11th floor."
- "The carpets were that dirty I refused to walk on the floor without shoes on - choosing to jump from bed to bed or bed to draws. Flip flops were also worn in the shower as the thought of standing in the bath made my skin crawl."
- "The Carter probably had its hayday [sic] back in the 60's when it was cleaned for the last time. Absolutely filthy, run-down, sticky, smelly cells called "rooms", with attached bathrooms blackened by mold, unrecognizable grime on window sills, and water dripping from the ceiling."
- "On the 2nd night we came back to find that all our sons powdered food had been eaten by mice and that mouse droppings were all over our clothes and in our luggage, even in my daughters backpack with her pens and pencils!!! My 4 year old daughter ended up in NYU Hospital for a day as she had severe Gastric and was being sick continuously!!!"